A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

Cloud security to be most disruptive technology of 2013

»www.networkworld.com/news/2013/0···437.html from »www.linuxsecurity.com/content/view/158516 ...

"Business council including Coca-Cola, eBay, FedEx, EMC, Fidelity Investments, Intel, Johnson & Johnson and Walmart sees 'information security shake-up' this year..."
--
Ant @ AQFL.net and AntFarm.ma.cx. Please do not IM/e-mail me for technical support. Use this forum or better, »community.norton.com ! Disclaimer: The views expressed in this posting are mine, and do not necessarily reflect the views of my employer.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2

1 recommendation

I bet those that use(d) Amazon Cloud Services agree. How many times has it gone down now? I've lost count.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big
reply to antdude

quote:
"Middle managers don't want to use their resources on security," the report bluntly says. "They are incentivized by timeline and budget; adding security doesn't fit into their objectives."
Maybe they'd feel differently if they faced actual repercussions when their band-aid solutions backfired.

Giving users a free year of credit monitoring service if their information is stolen is nothing. Make companies seriously liable, at least to the point middle managers share some pain, and a lot of this would stop.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

2 recommendations

quote:
"Middle managers don't want to use their resources on security," the report bluntly says. "They are incentivized by timeline and budget; adding security doesn't fit into their objectives."
Well I've experienced this up close and personal in my professional development career. It's not just security. The thinking is that if it doesn't directly contribute to the bottom line it's not worth doing.

Most people assume that new products are thoroughly tested. In my experience only minimal testing is done since it takes quite a long time and therefore money. The first thing cut out of development timelines is testing. These days, with updatable firmware etc, customers have become beta-testers.

BTW "incentivized" can mean a variety of things. Losing your job if you don't meet the timeline and/or budget can be "incentivizing". These days timelines are cut to the bone and are often, IMO, ridiculous.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
reply to StuartMW

said by StuartMW:

I bet those that use(d) Amazon Cloud Services agree. How many times has it gone down now? I've lost count.

Didn't Amazon say that happened to those who chose to only host their product in a single Amazon Cloud data center?

Making it so that it's hosted in multiple Amazon Cloud data centers (East Coast, Central, and West Coast) makes for a completely redundant system. If one data center fails, you have the other two.
--
Tom
Boycott AT&T uVerse! | Tom's Android Blog | AOKP (The Android Open Kang Project)

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by trparky:

said by StuartMW:

Didn't Amazon say that happened to those who chose to only host their product in a single Amazon Cloud data center?

Making it so that it's hosted in multiple Amazon Cloud data centers (East Coast, Central, and West Coast) makes for a completely redundant system. If one data center fails, you have the other two.

It might make for a redundant cloud-site end point, but it hardly makes for a "completely redundant system".

Most companies, at a given facility site, have one computer network to which all their PC's, terminals, and workstations are tied. That network is controlled from within a single server/interface center, powered from one service connection to one power grid, and that's connected to one physical data pipeline (copper, fiber, microwave) that routes traffic to one Internet provider who operates through one primary Internet backbone service. Does anyone else sense anything "vulnerable" about such a lengthy chain, whether or not it's connected to a "redundant cloud-site"?

Over the years, system design-for-reliability has involved constantly striving to identify and eliminate single-point failures, or at least to minimize the consequences flowing from such failures as might occur. Yet a primary thrust of modern computerization (or at least the last 20 years of it) seems bent on creating as many single-point failure sites as possible, while maximizing the possible negative consequences flowing from a failure at any one of them.

Perhaps some companies will indeed use redundant cloud data centers. And perhaps some companies will deal with the many other single-point vulnerabilities in their data systems. But most won't do either. And that's where the rubber will meet the road at some ugly point during some ugly crisis on down the way.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH

Do you know the odds of all three of Amazon's Cloud Computing data centers going down simultaneously? I have a better chance of being struck by lightning, twice, in the same spot.

Blackbird
Built for Speed
Premium
join:2005-01-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by trparky:

Do you know the odds of all three of Amazon's Cloud Computing data centers going down simultaneously? I have a better chance of being struck by lightning, twice, in the same spot.

Which is why I said: "It might make for a redundant cloud-site end point, but it hardly makes for a 'completely redundant system' ", referring to your earlier comment making that quote.
--
“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” A. de Tocqueville