uniqs
share rss forum feed

donoreo
Premium
join:2002-05-30
North York, ON
reply to Gone

Re: Ontaro Labour Law question

Looking at it, the language is vague. It does not say for each public holiday, so I can see why they may interpret it as covering all.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON
kudos:4

said by donoreo:

Looking at it, the language is vague. It does not say for each public holiday, so I can see why they may interpret it as covering all.

The law is clear, they can't force him into it even if it is in his contract.

They can force you into overtime so long as they meet all other regulations related to consecutive days worked and time off between shifts, but since this costs employers more money they tend to use that sparingly.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

3 edits

said by Gone:

said by donoreo:

The law is clear, they can't force him into it even if it is in his contract.

They can force you into overtime so long as they meet all other regulations related to consecutive days worked and time off between shifts, but since this costs employers more money they tend to use that sparingly.

We dont work on holidays here, but during our busy season "Halloween" people tend to work more hours.

MOL decided to investigate us last year, but because we are closed on holidays and pay the employees and treat them well bonuses for every 8 hours they work during the busy season etc. we passed. But the investigator did say for us to cover our asses from any more coplaints we should get everyone to sign a letter as the company mentioned above has done and that it would cover us. It was an option, and this could be one investigators way of viewing things.

So seeing how that is the case, I can see a company scheduling you for a holiday and its up to the employee to say no within the 48 hours as Gone has mentioned.

Some companies will try to push the limits as much as possobile. Its up to the employee to fight it, sadly thats who it works in this country and with free enterprise, Its very very wrong treating employees like that, but they still try and most get away with it.