uniqs

SueS
Premium Member
join:2007-05-16
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

I'd like your hear your thoughts

Something I have thought about for a while. I think a piece of art is better if it is not perfect. I think when a piece is too perfect it looks sterile and not relaxed. Those imperfections are a part of what makes art unique. In other words when making art, I like to make it look like it just accidentally happened. When you look around, our faces are not perfect, flowers are not perfect, trees, nothing in our world is perfect.
SueS

SueS

Premium Member

OOPS wrong forum, could the mods please move. Thanks!

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma

Premium Member

said by SueS:

OOPS wrong forum, could the mods please move. Thanks!

Too late . . .

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

I posted in the DI Tech forum first. Mods moved it here for me.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
join:2000-04-13
USA

1 edit

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to SueS

MVM

to SueS
I don't think there is anything such as perfection. I try to make my images as if I just happened by them also...on ultimately, what my eye zeroed in on. Sometimes that means cropping a bit and sometimes the surroundings are just part of the whole, so I leave things pretty much as is. I also try to enjoy, all over again, what I have seen by my photography, just as I used to do with my painting. I don't try to make my art perfect. Only God can do that.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium Member
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

Coma to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by SueS:

Something I have thought about for a while. I think a piece of art is better if it is not perfect. I think when a piece is too perfect it looks sterile and not relaxed. Those imperfections are a part of what makes art unique.

When I was learning printmaking 40+ years ago, those imperfections were what identified individual prints in an edition and were much sought after as each print was an original.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS

Premium Member

This is a different kind of imperfection than I was thinking about. It is still the individualized character of the print that appeals.

I think it is interesting that we work hard for perfection yet for our work to stand out from the work of others it needs to have its own imperfections or character.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
join:2000-07-13
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by SueS:

Something I have thought about for a while. I think a piece of art is better if it is not perfect. I think when a piece is too perfect it looks sterile and not relaxed. Those imperfections are a part of what makes art unique. In other words when making art, I like to make it look like it just accidentally happened. When you look around, our faces are not perfect, flowers are not perfect, trees, nothing in our world is perfect.

Well having just sen a local example... don't really understand why a modern painter would pinstakingly do photo realistic painting??? WHY... just because you can... but someone is gonna pay you bucks for a painted photo?

Back in the Renaissance when there was no photography OK but now?

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay

MVM

Yes. Many pay bucks for painted photography. I've seen some stunning work done that way. Also, it's just part of today's culture and an additional part of creativity in art/photography. Just a quick search and I come up with:

»www.google.com/search?q= ··· 7ADSA_en

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS to Hayward0

Premium Member

to Hayward0
said by Hayward0:

said by SueS:

Well having just sen a local example... don't really understand why a modern painter would pinstackingly do photo realistic painting??? WHY... just because to can... but someone is gonna pay you bucks for a painted photo?

Back in the Renaissance when there was no photography OK but now?

Not everyone can paint. I would take a good painting to hang on my wall over a photograph any day.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0 to jaykaykay

Premium Member

to jaykaykay
said by jaykaykay:

Yes. Many pay bucks for painted photography. I've seen some stunning work done that way.

Actually what I was more referring to just ultra photo-realistic painting, not necessarily from or over a photo.
And a couple ones I am thinking of are of just mundain objcts like a Monopoly board.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by SueS:

Not everyone can paint. I would take a good painting to hang on my wall over a photograph any day.

Well that's just it, why speed hundreds or more dollars on what for all intents and purposes appears to BE a photograph???

I have a painting I very much like, that I am pretty sure was done from a photo. Fairly photo like but still clearly a painting that reflects the artists style an personality, in textures and shadings.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

2 recommendations

SueS

Premium Member

said by Hayward0:

said by SueS:

Well that's just it, why speed hundreds or more dollars on what for all intents and purposes appears to BE a photograph???

Because of the talent, most folks cannot paint. I have and can paint, it is way harder than snapping a photo.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by SueS:

said by Hayward0:

said by SueS:

Because of the talent, most folks cannot paint. I have and can paint, it is way harder than snapping a photo.

Well again I think you are still missing what I was getting at....one who can paint to the degree of replicating a photograph EXACTLY as it still looks like one (no element of painting creativity)....WHY???

They could creatively and more appealing do so much more likely, that would justify the expense of a painting.

And the semi photo painting I mentioned, have and like, was maybe $100 at a benefit auction... not the hundreds or thousands asked for this stuff. And again bought for the artists interpretation and being in it, not its exactness to photo replicating source in paint like it was one.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

Plain and simple, it is talent, do you have any idea how hard it would be to replicate a detailed photograph? You can throw paint on a canvas, and make stuff that looks good, but to make something look like a detailed photograph is exceptional talent.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

2 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

But again in this day and age WHY???

Again if I am going to buy a painting I want to in some way see the artist not a human nature mimic machine.

Heck even going back to Renaissance- 1800's pre photography realism portraits or the Hudson River landscape artist there was still the artist in there... You could tell a Rembrandt from someone else.
NOT just what a well taken photo taken at the same time and place would be.

If I want a photograph I'll buy one maybe even printed on canvas, but why pay someone (or as job be expect) $1000's, for a painting that is indistinguishable, and nothing of the artist other than as a machine?

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

I can't explain it any other way than it is exceptional talent. It would be a painting very few people would ever be able to make. Try painting a simple photo and you will understand the level of difficultly.

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

4 edits

Hayward0

Premium Member

said by SueS:

I can't explain it any other way than it is exceptional talent. It would be a painting very few people would ever be able to make. Try painting a simple photo and you will understand the level of difficultly.

But again my question is WHY???
It was no easy thing being Rembrandt either but no mistaking him... where as these pure tech painters (no questioning its talent) can't be discerned from a photo let alone another artist... since their goal is to BE a photo. Again have to ask WHY?
Or why someone would spend $1000 for essentially a large photo of a Monopoly board.

Again its impressive technique, but totally lacking in self artistry or being, just well executed mechanics.

Conversely and artist I have several originals of, I also have a Giclee full size reproduction on canvas of one of his works of my favorite KW Bistro now long gone... original sold to the owners probably for a few 1000...and unless you know he had a very thick 3D style like Monet from a distance at full size looks very much the original I paid 300 for (The Giclee process and canvas probably cost at least half of that), and haven't seen him reproduce since.

I see mechanics mimicking art best it can, but the other way around seems really bizarre to me.

Is it beyond being a skilled robot they have no creative talent?

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

1 recommendation

SueS

Premium Member

If I am going to paint an apple, I am going to look at an apple and paint it so it looks as much like the real apple as I can. We need to see what we are painting, why not use a photograph? I once painted a dog using a photo out of a book. Some painters try to paint stuff as realistic as possible, if you were one of those painters, why wouldn't you use a photograph?

Any painter will have their own identity in their work, no two painters work will look the same.

This is my last response.

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

3 recommendations

Jodokast96

Premium Member

While you guys are arguing, allow me to interject with an example: »vianaarts.deviantart.com/

Carry on.

jaykaykay
4 Ever Young
MVM
USA

1 recommendation

jaykaykay to SueS

MVM

to SueS
Jodokast96, what a gorgeous example! Another one that people see every day is painting on motor cycles. Often times, the pianting is a photo of some graffitti, shot first with a camera and then put on the cycle. Sometimes, it's a part of a beatiful scene such as a sunset. But first, once again, it starts with a photo. Art is art in whatever form one does it, and if it begins as a photo, fantastic. Think of a wonderful painting of an old, past relative. The only way one could really paint a picture of that person is either free hand or from a photograph, albeit an old one that has outlived the relative.

SueS
Premium Member
Macon, MO

SueS to Jodokast96

Premium Member

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

While you guys are arguing, allow me to interject with an example: »vianaarts.deviantart.com/

Carry on.

Exceptional talent!

Hayward0
K A R - 1 2 0 C
Premium Member
Key West, FL

1 edit

Hayward0 to SueS

Premium Member

to SueS
said by SueS:

Any painter will have their own identity in their work, no two painters work will look the same.

Ah that is my exact point artists that practice this type of painting, no there would be near ZERO difference without a magnifying glass and study between any two...

Again the point is to reproduce an EXACT replica of the of the object or photo...absolutely nothing of the artist...a pixel by pixel copy. Might as well be done much faster and cheaper by a machine as that is all they are laboriously being.
Hayward0

Hayward0 to Jodokast96

Premium Member

to Jodokast96
said by Jodokast96:

Carry on.

Yeah that's the kind of stuff, though the second girls is clearly art and not literal photo representation.

Also being sold at photo kind of prices not hundreds or thousand I have seen asked for them when they are originals. (Though not necessarily not reproduced too)

And again I am not saying there is no talent involved, just no personality of the artist which again there is in the second girl theere is not in the cats or the first girl.