share rss forum feed

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to eweazel

Re: Building an HTPC vs a Media Server

said by eweazel:

Not a big fan of Itunes. I like how the Boxee box handled things. I just downloaded what I wanted and it handled all the file types without having to make it into a seperate format.

Won't get an argument from me - as I mentioned, I was already heavily invested into iTunes, it was a logical connection. I tried a WD Live and an LG Smart TV box before the Apple TV - neither were quite was I was after...

There's some pretty cool XMB stuff on JB ATV's, too, from what I hear, but I've never gone down that road, so can't speak from any first-hand knowledge...

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by LazMan:

said by eweazel:

Not a big fan of Itunes. I like how the Boxee box handled things. I just downloaded what I wanted and it handled all the file types without having to make it into a seperate format.

Won't get an argument from me - as I mentioned, I was already heavily invested into iTunes, it was a logical connection. I tried a WD Live and an LG Smart TV box before the Apple TV - neither were quite was I was after...

There's some pretty cool XMB stuff on JB ATV's, too, from what I hear, but I've never gone down that road, so can't speak from any first-hand knowledge...

Never thought of the APTV jail broken, that could be an option too. I did try the Raspberry PI, but boy was that slow.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
A guy at work raves about his JB ATV - something like 800 streaming channels, plays every movie format he throws at it, etc, etc...

Like I said, I haven't done it, but I've been tempted... One day I may pickup an extra one to try it on - the hardware is cool as hell - small and clean...

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
said by LazMan:

A guy at work raves about his JB ATV - something like 800 streaming channels, plays every movie format he throws at it, etc, etc...

Like I said, I haven't done it, but I've been tempted... One day I may pickup an extra one to try it on - the hardware is cool as hell - small and clean...

Now I am really tempted to buy one off of ebay. Have to look into if it has to be a certain generation one, or if they are all easily hacked.