Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

CJ777

join:2004-10-05
Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

[TWC] When will Los Angeles area get Remote DVR (Motorola boxes)

Ok, it's 2013 already and TWC doesn't even have remote DVR yet. I believe only those with whole house dvr with non Motorola boxes can get it. I just got off the phone with both a customer service rep and tech support and they both were clueless. The customer service rep says "well I show it's available in your area since July 2011" I'm like ahhh no, that is for whole house dvr. So then she transfers me to tech support and that lady was like "ughhh, I'm sorry I really do not know because I usually deal with internet support" WTF!!! Why are these people so incompetent??? Most of all the other cable co's already offer it, even on Motorola boxes. Why is TWC so behind on everything?

Vertigo

@myvzw.com

Re: [TWC] When will Los Angeles area get Remote DVR (Motorola bo

I live in an area with Motorola boxes and in order to get Remote DVR you need a Motorola DCX3400-M or DCX3510 box. Time Warner only gives those to whole-house customers usually but if you point out that DVR manager is listed as available in your area, they may give you one of those boxes. Before you make the jump, know that the new boxes use a different software that only allows 7 days of guide data and may take some adjustment.

CJ777

Los Angeles, CA

Yea I figured only the whole home dvr has it due to using Navigator software. Knowing TWC they won't give me such box unless I were signed up for whole house dvr. What do you think of the Navigator guide, compared to iguide?

Vertigo

@myvzw.com

We have 2 DVR's. One is a DCX3510 with Navigator and the other is a DCX3400 with iGuide. The DCX3510 has a 500 GB hard drive vs. 320 GB on the DCX3400. Navigator is a mixed bag, it looks nicer, it loads the entire guide in 5 minutes from boot up vs hours on iGuide, it tells you when a show originally aired, it has channel logos to help identify channels more easily, it has a better on demand layout, and it doesn't have the annoying ad banners at the bottom of the screen. The downfalls are the 7 day guide listings vs the 14 days on iguide, the poorer favorites implementation, and the I've seen reports of conflicts when more than 2 shows overlap in recording times. Having 2 DVR's, we like the flexibility of taking advantage of both but personal preference is key here. Also, depending what part of LA you're in, getting a DCX3510 does NOT require whole-house DVR. I've heard people were getting them in Santa Monica, Hollywood, San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley without having the WH DVR service. I got mine without it as well.

Satch

join:2009-11-25

said by Vertigo :

We have 2 DVR's. One is a DCX3510 with Navigator and the other is a DCX3400 with iGuide. The DCX3510 has a 500 GB hard drive vs. 320 GB on the DCX3400. Navigator is a mixed bag, it looks nicer, it loads the entire guide in 5 minutes from boot up vs hours on iGuide, it tells you when a show originally aired, it has channel logos to help identify channels more easily, it has a better on demand layout, and it doesn't have the annoying ad banners at the bottom of the screen. The downfalls are the 7 day guide listings vs the 14 days on iguide, the poorer favorites implementation, and the I've seen reports of conflicts when more than 2 shows overlap in recording times. Having 2 DVR's, we like the flexibility of taking advantage of both but personal preference is key here. Also, depending what part of LA you're in, getting a DCX3510 does NOT require whole-house DVR. I've heard people were getting them in Santa Monica, Hollywood, San Fernando Valley and San Gabriel Valley without having the WH DVR service. I got mine without it as well.

Is that a typo Vertigo. Does I-Guide really take hours to boot? Good information otherwise, but that part sounds illogical to me. Thanks for the comparison!

Satch

GuyinLACA

join:2010-12-11
Arcadia, CA

Upon booting up an iGuide box, it will show "to be announced" for each grid entry for up to an hour or longer, though you can tune any channel during the process. It populates the data very slowly and section by section but doesn't rely on the Internet connection to remain up to date. Navigator loads all guide data during the boot up which is nice.

DrDrew
That others may surf
Premium
join:2009-01-28
SoCal
kudos:15

1 edit
reply to Satch

Yes iGuide guide data takes hours to load, always has.

It's the way TVguide designed it to be distributed originally before iGuide was even around. Look up TVGOS (tvguide on screen) and Guide+ and you'll see the same distribution technique.

Satch

join:2009-11-25
reply to GuyinLACA

said by GuyinLACA:

Upon booting up an iGuide box, it will show "to be announced" for each grid entry for up to an hour or longer, though you can tune any channel during the process. It populates the data very slowly and section by section but doesn't rely on the Internet connection to remain up to date. Navigator loads all guide data during the boot up which is nice.

Thanks for the clarification! I thought someone had a box issue where an I-Guide software update got stuck for 6 hours! I now understand, it is the data in the Time Grid Cells, that take that long to populate.

Satch

Phroz

join:2005-11-23
Lewiston, ME
reply to CJ777

We don't even have whole house dvr available here.

I will jump for joy the day I can replace my DCH6416 with something newer.

motorola870

join:2008-12-07
Arlington, TX
kudos:3

said by Phroz:

We don't even have whole house dvr available here.

I will jump for joy the day I can replace my DCH6416 with something newer.

actually they are deploying Whole House DVR are as they have now gotten VOD in the 1000s for single channel VOD selections.

CJ777

Los Angeles, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to Vertigo

I'm in the Wilshire Center area (aka Koreatown). Another time I checked w/ TWC, they told me I had to order Whole House DVR service in order to get the box that supports Remote DVR. OK, I have only 1 TV, yea like I am going to pay for Whole House DVR service lol. I guess it just comes down to who you talk to there. Maybe I will have to talk with the local office in Hollywood.