Premium Member

New pricing 2013 - Electronic Box

»New pricing 2013 - Nouveau prix 2013

enjoy.

time2upgrade
@electronicbox.net

time2upgrade

Anon

wow. 32.95/month for 15/1 DSL. might have to jump on this.
Rastan
join:2007-04-25
Canada

Rastan to diskace

to diskace
The Speedline High Speed 15 prices look pretty good but $120.00 for the TG585 is expensive. I'm assuming that the ST516 won't work well with this service.

Regarding installations, when someone switches from a 6MB DSL connection to a 15MB connection, how much downtime is there on average? Some Teksavvy customers have reported downtime and missed installation appointments. These are problems on Bell's part but I'm wondering if the average downtime is about the same with EB.

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to diskace

Premium Member

to diskace
Dear Mr. Diskace,

Thank you for the information, this may definitely sway me towards your company, however I have some questions...

My french is horrible so while I can be patient while you update the English/Ontario pricing I have a question I hope you can answer.

The 150gb plan for 15/1 service, do you still have the unlimited between 2am and noon structure in place or did that disappear? I don't see mention of it in the new pricing and like I said my french is not good so perhaps I missed it in the writings on your blog.

Just curious about that as I save my big downloads for off peak times and if you're dropping the dryloop fee I'd be crazy not to switch.

Thank you for your time.
TechChime
join:2012-11-17
Barrie, ON

TechChime to diskace

to diskace
25/10 does not sound to bad but with all the little free's and not throwing it all into the package makes it confusing. Is the 25/10 even in Barrie? L4N-7C6
grunze510
join:2009-02-14
Cote Saint-Luc, QC

grunze510 to nitzguy

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

The 150gb plan for 15/1 service, do you still have the unlimited between 2am and noon structure in place or did that disappear? I don't see mention of it in the new pricing and like I said my french is not good so perhaps I missed it in the writings on your blog.

I just looked at the website (Montreal -> English), they appear to have no limit from 2AM-12PM on all DSL stuff. Cable stuff seems to be unchanged aside from the return of the 60/3 Mbit/s stuff (with a price bump).

diskace
Retired
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21

diskace to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Dear Mr. Diskace,

Thank you for the information, this may definitely sway me towards your company, however I have some questions...

My french is horrible so while I can be patient while you update the English/Ontario pricing I have a question I hope you can answer.

Just curious about that as I save my big downloads for off peak times and if you're dropping the dryloop fee I'd be crazy not to switch.

Thank you for your time.

Hi nitzguy,

the english website is now up to date.

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· dsl.html

The unlimited still apply on ALL our ADSL plan.

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by diskace:

said by nitzguy:

Dear Mr. Diskace,

Thank you for your time.

Hi nitzguy,

the english website is now up to date.

»www.electronicbox.net/en ··· dsl.html

The unlimited still apply on ALL our ADSL plan.

Thank you for the quick reply! I appreciate it.

If I already have ADSL2 service, can a transfer of that service just occur or is there a disconnect/reconnect that occurs?

Just curious as to my downtime because at $32.95/month with dryloop included shaves my costs in 1/2....and that's tough to ignore....
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

MaynardKrebs to diskace

Premium Member

to diskace
Diskace,

A few questions about your service, as low prices aren't always the most important part of a decision to switch ISP's.....

1) What's your log retention policy?

2) If a Voltage situation were to happen to customers of yours, would you:
a) go to court as Teksavvy has done to allow possibly affected customers to obtain legal counsel prior to handing over customer ID's to a troll?
b) would you simply hand the customer information to a troll without going to court?
c) fight the troll in court over privacy issues?

Thanks for your complete response to these questions.
sunnyd71
join:2004-05-22
l7z2t4

sunnyd71

Also are you currently running into the same conjestion issues as Teksavvy?

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
@MaynardKrebs

we are not yet ready to answer that question. We are awaiting an official response from our upstream provider. As you may know log retention is irrelevant on cable because the dhcp portion is handled by the carrier and not the tpia.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by diskace:

@MaynardKrebs

we are not yet ready to answer that question. We are awaiting an official response from our upstream provider. As you may know log retention is irrelevant on cable because the dhcp portion is handled by the carrier and not the tpia.

I understand that cable is different than xDSL in that regard.
What are your xDSL policies?

Thanks.

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

4 edits

Davesnothere to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

....Just curious as to my downtime because at $32.95/month with dryloop included shaves my costs in 1/2....and that's tough to ignore....

If MY math holds any water, it looks like (depending upon your usage) eBox's 15/1 could cost LESS than their 6/80 if you will be a Dry Loop customer - NOT counting startup fees.

Very aggressive !

Might even be lower than Acanac, who also only gives THEIR best price if you prepay for 12 months of service, IIRC.

OTOH, Acanac only offers UNLIMITED Usage arrangements, whether you need them or not.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Hmmm.

How is it different? Do they not keep logs? Or is the upstream keeping logs on people that aren't their customers?

Why does this sound like a can o' worms?

Mike
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Hmmm.

How is it different? Do they not keep logs? Or is the upstream keeping logs on people that aren't their customers?

My understanding of this my be wrong but I think this is how cable TPIA works.....

1) TPIA customer (Ebox) provides a block of IP's it 'owns' to Rogers, et. al.
2) Rogers, et. al. uses this block of IP addresses for TPIA's customers.
3) TPIA customer (Ebox) does not know which IP address is assigned to which individual user because the IP address assignment is handled by cableco equipment, ergo Rogers, et. al. are the ones who can correlate IP address to modem MAC address, not Ebox.
4) Rogers, et. al. IP address/MAC address correlation retention policies are a black box - nobody really knows what they are.

Whereas with xDSL (not sure if this hold true for "NGN" FTTN installs too), the IP address is assigned by the indie ISP through their own infrastructure. The indie can make its own policies as to how long it holds onto xDSL logs.

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer to dillyhammer

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by MaynardKrebs:

Hmmm.

Mike

On the cable, it's Videotron/Rogers that attribute IP address from their DHCP server (this is not ebox equipment). So, even if ebox delete their logs, the upstream provider still have them... I guess they keep log for a very long time...

Rickkins
join:2004-04-05
Mtl, Canada

Rickkins to diskace

to diskace
said by diskace:

As you may know log retention is irrelevant on cable because the dhcp portion is handled by the carrier and not the tpia.

OMG we're all screwed.....
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by Rickkins:

said by diskace:

As you may know log retention is irrelevant on cable because the dhcp portion is handled by the carrier and not the tpia.

OMG we're all screwed.....

Just the people on cable are screwed.

As long as the indie ISP is not keeping xDSL logs for more than 7-14 days, xDSL is preferable for privacy.

hm
@videotron.ca

hm to diskace

Anon

to diskace
said by diskace:

As you may know log retention is irrelevant

Says the guy with a non-compliant privacy policy on his website, and who chose to ignore questions related to this issue.

ah.
hm

hm to MaynardKrebs

Anon

to MaynardKrebs
said by MaynardKrebs:

Just the people on cable are screwed.

Oh? Did diskace ever answer how long he retains DSL logs for? 7 years? Part of his accounting records that are required to be kept for 7 years maybe?

As far as I know, up until now he has chosen not to answer people.

Let me double check, maybe he did....
»Data Retention (Privacy policy)

hmm, Nope...

Sorry, what were you saying, MaynardKrebs?

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace to MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

to MaynardKrebs
Currently we don't have a policy to delete logs at a specific interval.

We delete the logs when the file size is too big and cause database slowdown.

We usually keep logs for billing purpose. Example: credit card charge back and clients who challenge a bill.

For cable i am still waiting for an official answer.
MaynardKrebs
Premium Member

MaynardKrebs

Premium Member

said by diskace:

We delete the logs when the file size is too big and cause database slowdown.

We usually keep logs for billing purpose. Example: credit card charge back and clients who challenge a bill.

So, make the disk quota for the log file really small.
How long can VISA chargeback a disputed item? 30 days? 60 days?

ohmer
join:2003-08-06
Quebec, QC

ohmer to diskace

to diskace
You really need ip logs for many months just for billing? You could just keep stats (how much downloaded/uploaded by account id).

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer

Premium Member

said by ohmer:

You really need ip logs for many months just for billing? You could just keep stats (how much downloaded/uploaded by account id).

For sure. Stats could be rolled up and attached to accounts daily, and the IP logs deleted accordingly. A simple clause in the Terms Of Service can make that sufficient for billing dispute purposes.

I think the reason why we have such crazy log retention is because people are inherently lazy, paranoid, and never thought it would be an issue a la Voltage Scumbags.

But this lack of forthcoming responses and that $20 fee for BYOM really makes me think, sorry to say.

At least the dude at Start said it straight out, that their logs are kept for a year but they're looking at reducing that because of what was going on.

Mike

diskace
Retired
Premium Member

diskace

Premium Member

said by dillyhammer:

said by ohmer:

But this lack of forthcoming responses and that $20 fee for BYOM really makes me think, sorry to say.

At least the dude at Start said it straight out, that their logs are kept for a year but they're looking at reducing that because of what was going on.

Mike

On a side note, we can rename it 'rebate for buying a modem from us'. It's pretty much the same in the end. The install cost is 69.95$ and 20$ off when you buy a modem from us making it 49.95$. Same price structure for cable.

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by diskace:

said by dillyhammer:

said by ohmer:

Mike

On a side note, we can rename it 'rebate for buying a modem from us'. It's pretty much the same in the end. The install cost is 69.95$ and 20$ off when you buy a modem from us making it 49.95$. Same price structure for cable.

Hello I'm interested but...my questions were lost it seems in the negativity of some people...

Would I have downtime if I have an existing ADSL2 service that I just want to transfer to you guys?

Davesnothere
Change is NOT Necessarily Progress
Premium Member
join:2009-06-15
Canada

Davesnothere to diskace

Premium Member

to diskace
said by diskace:

On a side note, we can rename it 'rebate for buying a modem from us'.

It's pretty much the same in the end.

The install cost is 69.95$ and 20$ off when you buy a modem from us making it 49.95$.

Same price structure for cable.

In the other thread, I suggested that you previously called it exactly that at some point in the past, yes ?

If it makes less folks angry, maybe it would be best to say it that way.

It looks like you are already 'Eating' part of the Bell FTTN install fee anyway, unlike some other IISPs.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium Member
Scarborough, ON

dillyhammer to nitzguy

Premium Member

to nitzguy
said by nitzguy:

Hello I'm interested but...my questions were lost it seems in the negativity of some people...

I resemble that remark.

said by nitzguy:

Would I have downtime if I have an existing ADSL2 service that I just want to transfer to you guys?

Why risk it?

Order the new service on another pair, and when you're satisfied, cancel the other service.

Mike
dillyhammer

dillyhammer to diskace

Premium Member

to diskace
said by diskace:

I guess it's just syntax then, but on a side note and quite coincidentally, the prices you quote on your website for the ST516, TG585 and TG784 are all about $20 above retail.

Regardless, the pricing is very good, quite aggressive. I'm betting you're going to see some action, which is what you intended I trust.

Mike

nitzguy
Premium Member
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to dillyhammer

Premium Member

to dillyhammer
said by dillyhammer:

said by nitzguy:

I resemble that remark.

said by nitzguy:

Why risk it?

Order the new service on another pair, and when you're satisfied, cancel the other service.

Mike

I'm jsut saying, a $69.95 install beats a $95 install . I have the equipment...

Problem is, I'm in an apartment building that was probably built in 1955 and I don't know if there is a second pair running into this apartment....and the whole rigamarole behind getting a second pair in....that's why....