join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
reply to C0deZer0

Re: Sony patents way to block used games

said by C0deZer0:

If they do this, they need to:
•drop the msrp for a new game significantly... into the $10~30 category
•put a disclaimer on game discs to warn that the discs would have this on them (much like how BD and HD-DVD movies were to warn if their movies had the ICT token on them - until BluRay won )

Pretty much screams "pirate me!" when they do crap like this. The point of a console was the fact that we didn't have to deal with draconian DRM shit like the majority of non-Steam PC games have.

Why couldn't a digital content delivery system on consoles do DRM as well as Steam?
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
said by Weirdal:

said by C0deZer0:

If they do this, they need to:
•drop the msrp for a new game significantly... into the $10~30 category
•put a disclaimer on game discs to warn that the discs would have this on them (much like how BD and HD-DVD movies were to warn if their movies had the ICT token on them - until BluRay won )

Pretty much screams "pirate me!" when they do crap like this. The point of a console was the fact that we didn't have to deal with draconian DRM shit like the majority of non-Steam PC games have.

Why couldn't a digital content delivery system on consoles do DRM as well as Steam?

Because companies cannot 100% guarantee that a user will have internet access for their console. Most of us do, but some people are in a boat where they don't have constant access, or reliable access, or, in the case of some college dorms, aren't allowed to put those machines on the network at all. One reason I've found myself shifting away from being interested in PC gaming the past few years is because of stuff like Steam and Origin, or what Blizzard did with Diablo 3 by forcing you to be online to play the game.

I don't want consoles to be turned into PC gaming machines. That's essentially what this path is. If I pay $50-60 for a new game, I don't want to have to worry about being forced to register it online before I can play single-player offline content.

I may be wrong, but I don't think that console pirating for current generation systems is nearly as rampant as the pirating for PC gaming has been over the years. Except that the companies see used games or rental as "piracy" now I guess and want to do away with it.
--
You're watching Sports Night on CSC so stick around...

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

1 recommendation

reply to Weirdal
said by Weirdal:

A perfect example is how nintendo is now offering simultaneous release of digital and retail copies of Nintendo 3DS games.

Despite the cost savings (to them) to offer it digitally, they can't/won't pass those savings onto you as the consumer. And as others pointed out, many ISPs now are trying to perform cap-land services.

Unlike a retail copy, there is also no way to at least say loan a copy to a local friend. Sure, there was some game-sharing of ID's for PS3 systems and games, but Sony's since neutered that bonus they had over Microsoft's method of handling things much like they've neutered their PS3 models since launch.

I would be much less opposed myself to get games I know will be good digitally, especially if they are games I would expect to keep a long time, and replay. But even Steam has not yet figured out a way to allow people that want to trade games on their account, without just flat out exchanging/selling their accounts completely.

Isn't the fact that it's being made for a console enough of a DRM? It certainly has been since the 1970's. It's 2013 now, last I checked. It's not like there's ever been cartridge drives for all the different cartridge-based systems (some exceptions notwithstanding).
--
Because, f*ck Sony

Weirdal
Premium
join:2003-06-28
Grand Island, NE
kudos:21
said by C0deZer0:

Isn't the fact that it's being made for a console enough of a DRM?

Unless its a dreamcast.
--
»[Info] The DSLR Orangeface extension 2.0!

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ
And yet with regard to the Dreamcast, the 'sploit that made it possible is the reason I was able to discover smoe of the true gems on the platform, such as Ikaruga.

I know it's not the most kosher thing to talk about modding systems for that, but I appreciate it for the fact that it usually enables me to discover homebrew or games that I otherwise would have never been able to play on the system in question.
--
Because, f*ck Sony