spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Bigbeard

@verizon.net

Fios 75/35

Hi all.mtoday i upgraded my 35/35 to 75/35, to be activated monday.

I currently have the actiontec rev f router. As i have read, it wont be sufficient for full wireless speeds.

In my drawer, i have a netgear rangemax duo wireless N router (dualband).

Here is the pdf for the model. »kbserver.netgear.com/datasheets/···an08.pdf

Now, i assume it would be better to use that router to privide good wireless speeds.

My question is, what is the best way to do this? Do i just remove the fios router and replace it with this, or is the fios router neccessary to have running? Thanks in advance for all advice.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:30

Do you have FIOS-TV?
How is your rev. F connected to the ONT? coax or cat5?

Options for using your own router are outlined in this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What are the tradeoffs between the various router configurations
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

Bigbeard

@verizon.net

Yes i also have tv and the router is connected through coax. I will take a look at the link you gave. Thanks.

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX
reply to More Fiber

I'd suggest getting a NIM-100 or similar hardware and hook your Coax up to the LAN on your Netgear Rangemax.

The trade off is no remote DVR or on screen caller ID.

I think it's option #9 in the FAQ that More Fiber posted.

Dream Killer
Graveyard Shift
Premium
join:2002-08-09
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
reply to Bigbeard

I just double NAT the actiontec with my router for the TV stuff. It works great and you don't have to spend money on a nim-100.

Bigbeard

@verizon.net

How do i double nat? Is there a guide somewhere?

Vamp
5c077
Premium
join:2003-01-28
MD

said by Bigbeard :

I think he means he ran ethernet from ONT to his router, then put the actiontec on the LAN port of his router.

That's what I did.
--
75/35 FIOS || MSN Msgr: scott001^gmail_com

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA
reply to Bigbeard

said by Bigbeard :

Option #6 in the trade-offs FAQ I linked earlier.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

bigbeard86

@verizon.net

ok thanks for all the comments so far. i used option 3 in that site you gave me. Now...i believe i followed the directions properly.

my internet is working, but want to be confident.

now, according to the directions, my wired connection from desktop should go into my 2ndry router, and than anotehr connection from my netgear to the actiontec, correct?

what is confusing me is this...wireless devices are now picking up two SSIDs, one from my negear and one from my actiontech. is it normal that both are appearing, and if so, do i connect to the netgear? both are showing to be 802.11n and same wpa2 key.

Though both are broadcsating, i can only choose to connect to the actiontec wirelessly.

patt2k

join:2009-01-16
reply to Bigbeard

You can turn off the Actiontec SSID it is very easy I am also using my own router.

Expand your moderator at work

bigbeard

@verizon.net
reply to patt2k

Re: Fios 75/35

hey all, got my speed upgrade today. on my wired desktop, i mhitting almost 85mb. however, on wireless im only getting 31mb. i used option 3 on the site to use my netgear router but im not getting better speed. can anyone offer help?

patt2k

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Bigbeard

Let me give you example of my situation.

my iPhone 5 can sometimes reach 85 mbps on 5G network (wifi 5GHZ band) but my laptop won't even though it's ultrabook it does not have 5ghz bands but that's ok , I think it depends a lot on your laptop or whatever is using your WI-FI.

Someone correct me if i'm wrong. Thanks!

bigbeard

@verizon.net

ok...i was about to buy the verizon router to hopefully get better speeds. so far, the laptop has hit 36mbps. since my router is dualband, would it fair better off a 5 ghz signal?

patt2k

reply to Bigbeard

I mean you could try ? but as I said on 5GHZ I tend to get better speeds also make sure you have wireless N on.

Bigbeard

@verizon.net

Ok thanks man. I keep wondering if my wireless speeds would be far better if i were to use the gige verizon router instead of using my netgear hooked up as a lan to lan secondary.

Maybe i will just gook up the netgear as a standalone to simply check the wireless speeds to see if theres an major improvement.

Bigbeard

@verizon.net
reply to patt2k

Also, of ot os a big difference, it would be cheap to buy a nim-100. Is there a specific brand that is reccomended? Is the nim100 am actual specific model? Sorry for the many questions.

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
West Chester, PA

said by Bigbeard :

Is there a specific brand that is recommended? Is the nim100 am actual specific model?

Nim-100 is a specific model formerly manufactured by Motorola. Since they are no longer manufactured, you may be able to find them on eBay.

There are also other brands of MOCA bridges that will work equally well. See this FAQ:
»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »What is a MOCA Bridge?
--

BigBeard

@verizon.net

Ok guys. Heres what happened. The first thing i tried was option 3, lan to lan with netgear being a secndary, then i tried the more difficult option, the bridgning. Both options gave me minimal improvement over wireless. The laptop and ipad are wireless n, not half n.

The bridging caused high ping and reduced my speeds by 50 % on my wired connection for some reason. Eventually i put everything back to its original state amd am just running off verizon's router. Good thing i did not buy their gige router, as according to my results, i would bave seen mnimal mprovement over wifi. I was, amd stll am getting, about 40 +- 3 mbs, out of 75. 85mbs on wired tho.

patt2k

Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

said by BigBeard :

Ok guys. Heres what happened. The first thing i tried was option 3, lan to lan with netgear being a secndary, then i tried the more difficult option, the bridgning. Both options gave me minimal improvement over wireless. The laptop and ipad are wireless n, not half n.

The bridging caused high ping and reduced my speeds by 50 % on my wired connection for some reason. Eventually i put everything back to its original state amd am just running off verizon's router. Good thing i did not buy their gige router, as according to my results, i would bave seen mnimal mprovement over wifi. I was, amd stll am getting, about 40 +- 3 mbs, out of 75. 85mbs on wired tho.

I will update this post later on , those are iPhone speedtests from my Netgear WNDR3700 Router.

#1 on 5GHZ band, #2 on 2.4 GHZ band : If the mobile speedtest app had longer speedtest I would be able to have 85 mbps at all times but because it is so quick I think this is why I won't always have full speeds.
I hope this helps you somehow

does this make any more sence to you know? I hope so
Expand your moderator at work

buckweet1980

join:2011-12-31
Allen, TX
reply to patt2k

Re: Fios 75/35

The best you could try is to change the channel that your wireless access point is working on.. 1, 6 and 11 are the only channels that don't overlap with each other, so do not use the other channels. With 3 non overlapping channels you can easily see how the 2.4ghz spectrum will become overrun by cross talk of other access points nearby, plus other devices that interfere with the spectrum.

5ghz is the recommended frequency to be on anymore if your devices support it. Less interference and more non-overlapping channels. The caveat is that it sometimes uses more battery (depending on radio) and less distance from the AP is possible due to higher frequency.