to I AM

Re: Official Guild Wars 2 Thread

GW2 is really several games in one

Dungeon game
Open world game
WvW game
sPvP game
Character story game

you could do just WvW and get lost in it... i still don't understand 100% how WvW works

back in WoW world I had every BG memorized like the back of my hand... pretty much have nothing memorized in GW2

Before I work on my caster... elementalist or mesmer... I want to:

Have banked at least 3000 gems (from in game gold to gems)
Have banked like 200 gold
Completed warr/guardian stories
Run fractals deeper

I haven't done the math, but after a certain inflation threshold it would be better at this point to save gold long term, in the form of gems, instead of just in gold

example, at launch:

600 gems = 2 gold?

now

600 gems = 10g?

if i left that 2g in my bank, it would be still 2g

BUT, if I saved them in gem form, when I cashed out the gems for gold, it would be worth about 7-8g now

THIS all under the assumption that inflation will continue... so maybe the best bet is to diversify, and to save half your gold as gold, and save half your gold as gems

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

GW2 is really several games in one

Dungeon game
Open world game
WvW game
sPvP game
Character story game

you could do just WvW and get lost in it... i still don't understand 100% how WvW works

back in WoW world I had every BG memorized like the back of my hand... pretty much have nothing memorized in GW2

Before I work on my caster... elementalist or mesmer... I want to:

Have banked at least 3000 gems (from in game gold to gems)
Have banked like 200 gold
Completed warr/guardian stories
Run fractals deeper

I haven't done the math, but after a certain inflation threshold it would be better at this point to save gold long term, in the form of gems, instead of just in gold

example, at launch:

600 gems = 2 gold?

now

600 gems = 10g?

if i left that 2g in my bank, it would be still 2g

BUT, if I saved them in gem form, when I cashed out the gems for gold, it would be worth about 7-8g now

THIS all under the assumption that inflation will continue... so maybe the best bet is to diversify, and to save half your gold as gold, and save half your gold as gems

I convert most of my gold into gems.... Gold actually becomes lest valuable over time whereas gems are the opposite...

I AM
Premium Member
join:2010-04-11
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Does Anet take a cut of the conversion?

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

said by I AM:

Does Anet take a cut of the conversion?

Not directly... but say you spend 1g on 100 gems... if you try to turn it right around and sell it... you will only get say 70 silver for it....

It is kinda like the bid and ask price of a stock... if you are familiar with that.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

So buy gems low sell them high pretty much?

Also thinking about rerolling a warrior. My ranger is fun for sure but warriors seem to have all the fun. The class I think I see the most in game is guardians. Tons of mesmers as well in WvWvW.

TheThing
join:2012-08-10

1 edit

TheThing

said by I AM:

So buy gems low sell them high pretty much?

Also thinking about rerolling a warrior. My ranger is fun for sure but warriors seem to have all the fun. The class I think I see the most in game is guardians. Tons of mesmers as well in WvWvW.

Convert to gems the gold you do NOT need immediate access to.

Never convert the gems back to gold, UNLESS you need access to the gold. Gems gain interest, gold does not. Just let the gems sit there until you need to cash them out to buy something. If you try to turn your gems for a profit like weekly you are going to get burned.

Follow gem vs. gold prices for a couple weeks, then determine a treshold(rate) you are comfortable converting your gold to gems. Like 1g for 50 gems or whatever. Certain weeks you should NOT convert gold to gems because the market is bad for whatever reason.

Yeah, I have come to the conclusion that I like my warrior much better than my guardian. HOWEVER, in dungeons my guardian is superior to my warrior because of all the heals, shields, protections, burns, cleanses he can do.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

So I have a weak amount of 11g at the moment. How much gold do you guys usually carry?

Gems gain interest over time?

TheThing

TheThing

said by I AM:

So I have a weak amount of 11g at the moment. How much gold do you guys usually carry?

Gems gain interest over time?

They don't literally gain interest. But with inflation, Gems gain value vs. gold over time... so it's kind of like interest.

It's like a checking and savings accout. Keep in your checking(gold) what you need for monthly expensive. Put in savings(gems) whatever you don't need access to for a while. Like a CD.

If you are leveling a warrior, and want to gear him up asap, I wouldnt put any of that gold into gems. Your going to need it at a minimum to buy Runes, Jewels, and Sigils. Hopefully you'll have the karma to buy fulle exotic karma set.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

Yeah so. I just now figured out to do that daily stuff haha. I find finding different enemy types can be hard. So I do that part between characters in different zones. Do you guys have a set path etc?

I'm waiting anxiously for April. I want to explore some dungeons!

TheThing

TheThing

said by I AM:

Yeah so. I just now figured out to do that daily stuff haha. I find finding different enemy types can be hard. So I do that part between characters in different zones. Do you guys have a set path etc?

I have 2 low level "go to" zones for this. Rapid cycling events, tons of kill variety and gathering. Next time you are on ill show you. Teleport there get-er-done in 20 minutes.

TheBionic
Funkier than a mohair disco ball.
Premium Member
join:2009-07-06
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by TheThing:

said by I AM:

I have 2 low level "go to" zones for this. Rapid cycling events, tons of kill variety and gathering. Next time you are on ill show you. Teleport there get-er-done in 20 minutes.

Killing the local non-threatening wildlife helps with this as well, like the bunnies, rats and moas. Also if you are near a body of water jump in and kill everything that moves.

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM

Premium Member

THE BUNNIES!!!!!!

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

Aaaaaah hate that rabbut.

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to TheBionic

Premium Member

to TheBionic
said by TheBionic:

said by TheThing:

said by I AM:

Killing the local non-threatening wildlife helps with this as well, like the bunnies, rats and moas. Also if you are near a body of water jump in and kill everything that moves.

I tried this before when completing the daily achievements and never got credit for killing any critters.

puppy
join:2010-01-28
San Diego, CA

puppy

Critters work for me. Ghastly, next time when you start a fresh daily, look at the count # (should be 0), kill a critter, then look at the number again.

TheBionic
Premium Member
united state

TheBionic

Premium Member

said by puppy:

Critters work for me. Ghastly, next time when you start a fresh daily, look at the count # (should be 0), kill a critter, then look at the number again.

Yeah they work for me too. I've fulfilled a daily on a bunny before.

TheThing

TheThing

I think its buggy. Some times I get credit for killing racoons and sometimes I don't... even on the first kill... I don't get it...

Leave it to BioR testing it on bunnies... and then he posts screenshots in the other forum lol

I AM
Premium Member
Ephrata, PA

I AM to Ghastlyone

Premium Member

to Ghastlyone
It is because you have a noble soul Ghastly.
I AM

I AM

Premium Member

I finally now just started to understand crafting lol. Doing it to level my alt warrior.

Mcrobrewer
Premium Member
Trenton, NJ

Mcrobrewer

Premium Member

said by I AM:

I finally now just started to understand crafting lol. Doing it to level my alt warrior.

Ya it is great for leveling alts.

TheThing

TheThing

that's why Gold is so powerful in this game, probably too powerful

Gold = gems, leveling alts, and gear