I Love You Fred
Premium
join:2005-07-09
Ojai, CA
kudos:8
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 edit

[Parts Check] Can anyone help a SATA dummy?

Here's my new low budget Windows 7 computer.

SATA is new to me so I have a simple question.

Can I plug my hard drive and DVD burner into any of the SATA connectors on the motherboard? Curious about how Windows assigns the drive letters.

Thanks all
--
Printed on 100% recycled bytes

Chrno

join:2003-12-11

1 recommendation

Yes. The way Windows assigns drive letters have nothing with which port the device is plugged into.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA

Many thanks Chrno

BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium
join:2000-01-13
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

Sata is kind of like ide cable select which I ran my systems as since I hated master/slave assignments with moving jumpers, but if you only have one hdd it's not really an issue. If you have more than one hdd I would suggest making sure the detected order in the bios is correct, or installing with only one hdd connected, then after the installation is complete then make sure it's the booting drive in the bios. Pretty simple really.
--
I distrust those people who know so well what god wants them to do because I notice it always coincides with their own desires- Susan B. Anthony
Yesterday we obeyed kings, and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to the truth- Kahlil G.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA

Thanks BlitzenZeus

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

Success!!

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

Your mainboard numbers the SATA jacks 1 to n. Your BIOS sees them as 1 through n as well; exact same physical mapping in terms of where you plugged them in. The OS does a logical mapping to then assign the common drive letters C: D: E: etc.

FizzyMyNizzy

join:2004-05-29
New York, NY

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

said by jadinolf:

Success!!

Looking good.

Nice Obama chia pet.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA

1 recommendation

My sister gave it to me for Christmas 2011.

I've tried 100 times to give it away.
--

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME
reply to bbear2

said by bbear2:

Your mainboard numbers the SATA jacks 1 to n. Your BIOS sees them as 1 through n as well; exact same physical mapping in terms of where you plugged them in. The OS does a logical mapping to then assign the common drive letters C: D: E: etc.

Thanks. If you weren't so far away, I would have asked you to come down and give me a hand.

As it turns out, it was a piece of cake.
--

Da Man

join:2008-05-08
Hanover, PA

1 recommendation

reply to jadinolf

If the HDD is SATA3 you would want to plug it into the SATA3 port (grey one near the edge) for a negligible performance increase.

jadinolf
I Love You Fred
Premium
Ojai, CA
Reviews:
·DSL EXTREME

said by Da Man:

If the HDD is SATA3 you would want to plug it into the SATA3 port (grey one near the edge) for a negligible performance increase.

I doubt that it is. I bought it used on eBay BUT I am very happy with it the way it is.

This computer was built to replace a Celeron computer that I built in 2006 and ruined by trying to update the BIOS. I broke my own rule and lived to regret it.
--