how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bchandler02

join:2011-07-08
Oklahoma City, OK

Cox Backup - Finding non existant files

I have been using the Cox online backup service for a while. Lately it has been popping up saying it skipped a system file. Upon review, it is a thumbs.db file in multiple picture album folders. I've made sure that these files do not exist (yes, I understand hidden files), and they are not specifically selected in the backup tool. I have entire folders selected only.

Anyone dealt with this before? The pop ups are annoying the hell outta me.

N10Cities
Premium
join:2002-05-07
Fort Smith, AR
Reviews:
·Cox HSI
It has been awhile since I messed with the Cox backup, but I think there is a section where you can tell the backup program to skip system files or you can tell it to skip files with certain extensions. I would have to look again..

The thumbs.db files are always in the pictures folder. You have to disabled the option to hide protected system files as well as select 'view hidden files' in order to see them..

Rob_
Premium
join:2008-07-16
Mary Esther, FL
kudos:1
Just remember Cox's Backup uses your monthly data allowance so if you have say 200 gigs or so, there goes your allowance.

-Rob

linicx
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2002-12-03
United State
Reviews:
·TracFone Wireless
·CenturyLink
reply to bchandler02
You can do the same thing on an external drive. Or even on a thumb drive. It works exactly like a "cloud". The advantage is you eliminate a third party and you have complete control over your files 100% the time. If they are critical put it on the external hard drive and then store the drive in a bank vault unit you need them.
--
Mac: No windows, No Gates, Apple inside