spc
uniqs

Wolf29
@embarqhsd.net

Wolf29 to billaustin

Anon

to billaustin

Re: Speeds

I was able to log into the modem but couldn't find some of the stats you mentioned. Must not be looking in the right place. I have a C1000A.

I found this:

Downstream/Upstream
SNR: 11 dB 21 dB
Attenuation: 36.0 dB 19.3 dB

Been running some more tests and am getting speeds consistently of 9.4 now. Seems to be better and stable.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

What you found is what's needed. Connect the modem to the test jack at the NID and see if there is a significant difference in the SNR or Attenuation numbers. It is usually most noticeable on the downstream stats. If no difference, you're good. If big difference, your wiring needs some help.

Do you have a whole-house filter at the NID, or separate filters at each jack?

Wolf29
@embarqhsd.net

Wolf29

Anon

Ok, I'll check that tomorrow in the daylight.

I had the tech put in a whole house filter.

billaustin
they call me Mr. Bill
MVM
join:2001-10-13
North Las Vegas, NV

billaustin

MVM

With a whole-house filter, the modem should be on an isolated jack. Unless there is an issue with the existing wiring, the stats outside should be very close to what you get inside. If not, you will need to replace the cable run to the modem jack.

Wolf29
@embarqhsd.net

Wolf29

Anon

Yes the modem is on its own jack. No phone will be on that jack.
Wolf29

Wolf29 to billaustin

Anon

to billaustin
All looks good. Speeds outside are consistent. Spoke to CL and they said I should see a slight speed increase in the next few days as they update some things in our neighborhood. We're in a rural area so I didn't expect blazing speeds anyway.

Thanks for all the help.