Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

bulletsam

join:2008-04-08
Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

[IL] Question for techs about power levels.

I've been keeping a close eye on my modem downstream power levels and have noticed some fluctuation that seems to effect my service. These are current levels...

My question is, can weather effect these levels? I've noticed anything above 32f my power levels on each channel are as seen in pic but, once it drops below freezing those levels go up to - 2 dBmV / 1 dBmV / 1 dBmV - and my speeds drop dramatically. Modem is a Motorola SB6120 which some have said can be sensitive to power fluctuations.

The odd thing is, it also seems to effect my TV picture clarity. Right now my TV pic is great and it's 35f outside. Could this point to water in line, or something else? it's very frustrating trying to pinpoint what can be the cause.

I also must add that I have 2 drops coming into my home. This was done early last year to try and resolve a ongoing issue with drops of service and has worked great till cold weather, high winds and rain this fall/winter and am now seeing these issues with internet, and TV pic quality.

Any suggestions, or help would be appreciated.
Thank you.

sway0004

join:2005-04-29
Oswego, IL

i asked the tech that was here the other day about average and acceptable levels and his reply was ( 40-52 ) was optimal and your at 42 plus or minus 2

as for tv if its fuzzy you may need a amp or a electronic splitter..i have the electronic splitter as i have direct tv..
im sure others can elaborate on this more.

FreedTech

join:2011-02-24
united state
reply to bulletsam

If I am reading this right then your downstream levels are all within range. A good rule of thumb is +5 to -5 dBmV. So 0 is right on target.
Yes, weather can affect your signal levels. The cabling contracts and expands with the temperature and the amps are designed to "try" and compensate for that, but they don't always work properly (or they may just be a plain manual amp).
It is hard to tell what is exactly causing your service issues without having a tech on site when it is bad. Could be water, badly terminated cabling, ingress, amp dying, neighbors old tv, etc.....
If it were me I would see if Mediacom Chad can get a service tech out on a cold day.

Good luck!

FreedTech

join:2011-02-24
united state
reply to sway0004

If the system is running properly and your house is wired correctly there is no need for an amp unless you have 15+ active outlets.
Yes that is a great power level if you are running between 40-52. I have seen modems run just fine at both ends of the spectrum ie..32 or 60dBmV, while not preferred.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL

Thank you for the information. I currently only have 3 active outlets of which 2 are used, 1 TV, 1 computer.

Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-01
IA
kudos:2
reply to bulletsam

Contact Chad. They can monitor your modem for additional info.
--
I speak for myself, not my employer.

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL
reply to bulletsam

you only have 3 channels down stream.....if your area is docsis 3 i think you should have 4 down stream

wacko1128

join:2010-03-23
Clinton, IL

I'm on Ultra 50 (docsis 3) and only have 2 downstream channels

sway0004

join:2005-04-29
Oswego, IL
reply to mike1965

3-4 channels if you have 105/10 2 channel if you have 50/5

wacko1128 i as well have 2 channels..

MediacomChad
Mediacom Social Media Relations Team
Premium,VIP
join:2010-01-20
Gulf Breeze, FL
kudos:116
reply to bulletsam

Are you still having issues? If so, please send me a message and I will be happy to look into it.

bulletsam

Charleston, IL
Reviews:
·Mediacom

It seems pretty stable right now, Chad. I just had a general question about weather effects on line quality. I'm waiting for another below 20 degree night to see if it shows any change.

I do keep having these DHCP RENEW WARNING - Field invalid in response v4 option errors causing it to drop connection. It comes back after a bit, but is annoying. Any idea what the cause could be?

Thanks.

mike1965
Geek4rent

join:2002-09-23
Marion, IL

same error I am getting they cannot figure out

KA0OUV
Premium
join:2010-02-17
Jefferson City, MO
reply to bulletsam

I did a little Googling, and some of the other forums on DSLR (Cox amongst others) popped up. What they noted is that information applies to the modem's DHCP process, not the customer DHCP Process.

Some of them were indicative of problems: Some were not.

All seemed to be on the modem to the back end, not your router or workstation to its DHCP server.

Tim [KA0OUV]