Search similar:

uniqs

Cho Baka
MVM
join:2000-11-23
there

Cho Baka

MVM

How to determine GPF of existing toilet?

I have a ~20 year old American Standard toilet that I suspect is not a thrifty unit.

Is it possible to identify the toilet and determine the number of GPF? I am assuming that my current throne is 3.5 GPF.

A quick back of the envelope calculation shows that it empties and refills the tank to the tune of approximately 3 gallons. This ignores any water that is discharged down the tube in the center of the tank.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

ropeguru

Premium Member

Have you tried looking on the inside of the tank to see if it is stamped in?
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
Read your water meter, flush the toilet, read the meter again.
1 cubic foot = 7.48 gallons

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka to ropeguru

MVM

to ropeguru
That is where I found what appears to be a date. (1992)
I found no other markings.

I considered using the water meter, but it reads in m3, and isn't really precise enough.

tschmidt
MVM
join:2000-11-12
Milford, NH
·Consolidated Com..
·Republic Wireless
·Hollis Hosting

tschmidt to Cho Baka

MVM

to Cho Baka
Good question, I think low usage toilets say how many gallons per flush. Ours is printed under the brand.

If your does not, and since you did a rough measurement I agree with your estimate it is probably 3.5 gallons. Time for an upgrade.

It looks like your tank is insulated. That is one of the things I wanted to do when I upgraded ours. Surprising how effective a little bit of foam insulation is in preventing condensation.

/tom

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Yes, the existing one is insulated.

ropeguru
Premium Member
join:2001-01-25
Mechanicsville, VA

1 recommendation

ropeguru to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Was just a thought..
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to tschmidt

to tschmidt
said by tschmidt:

If your does not, and since you did a rough measurement I agree with your estimate it is probably 3.5 gallons. Time for an upgrade.

I have three toilets that are 28 years old, and there's no way I'm going to upgrade them.
Bob4

Bob4 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
You could flush multiple times until you get a decent meter reading, then divide by the number of times you flushed.
1 cu meter = 264 gallons

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Bob4

MVM

to Bob4
WE just got a Cadet 3 - need to get a second one to replace out older toilet - they are fantastic (the Cadet 3s)...

PoloDude
Premium Member
join:2006-03-29
Aiken, SC

1 recommendation

PoloDude to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Get a gallon container.turn off the water to the tank. Flush the toilet. Refill the tank using the gallon container. do the math.

Raphion
join:2000-10-14
Samsara

Raphion

said by PoloDude:

Get a gallon container.turn off the water to the tank. Flush the toilet. Refill the tank using the gallon container. do the math.

Woudn't take into account the water that goes down the refill tube into the bowl, which may or may not continue to run for a while after the bowl is actually full, wasting water down the drain.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium Member
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
(Software) pfSense
ARRIS SB6121

shdesigns to PoloDude

Premium Member

to PoloDude
said by PoloDude:

Also capture the water from bowl fill tube to see how much water comes out there.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

1 recommendation

Cho Baka

MVM

I think I am satisfied with an estimation of 3.5 gpf being accurate enough. It matches up with the age of the toilet.
PrntRhd
Premium Member
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA

PrntRhd

Premium Member

said by Cho Baka:

I think I am satisfied with an estimation of 3.5 gpf being accurate enough. It matches up with the age of the toilet.

Yes, the other benefit to a Cadet 3 besides 1.6 gpf is you can also get it in the height that works best, I prefer higher seating.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

1 recommendation

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by PrntRhd:

said by Cho Baka:

Yes, the other benefit to a Cadet 3 besides 1.6 gpf is you can also get it in the height that works best, I prefer higher seating.

Don't forget to plan for those occasions, too, where you have to kneel before the porcelain idol. You don't want to strain your neck!

sfogliatelle
We Is Whut We Am
Premium Member
join:2002-05-29
Baton Rouge, LA

sfogliatelle to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
The government made 1.6Gpf toilets mandatory a couple, three years after the manufactured date stamped on yours.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

Pulled the trigger.

We went for a Drake II.
»www.totousa.com/ProductD ··· ctId=407

1.28Gpf/4.8Lpf

(stock photo)

I installed it today, and was surprised at how straightforward installation was. This was my first toilet.

I suppose part of the ease of installation comes down to the flange being in good condition. It pays to be lucky sometimes.

The next step is to install a plug behind the toilet for the washlet seat.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

Holy moley that is an expensive toilet...

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium Member
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL

John97 to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
Nice. I am very partial to the Toto toilets.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
Toto toilets are high quality and pricy. With a 2-1/8" trapway, there should be plenty of "bandwidth" for even the largest "downloads".

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

CylonRed

MVM

I did not notice it was a Toto.... Man - I just can't justify the cost. I have to replace one more toilet with a Cadet 3...
lutful
... of ideas
Premium Member
join:2005-06-16
Ottawa, ON

lutful to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

I have a ~20 year old American Standard toilet that I suspect is not a thrifty unit.

In Canada, those were 13 Liter models - a standard value in those days. Converts to 13Lx.26G/L=3.38G

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka to CylonRed

MVM

to CylonRed
I gave it much thought before pulling the trigger.
Main points were:
- the house only has one toilet
- my previous place had poorly performing water saver toilets and I didn't want to get stuck with a lemon
- a decent amount of 'noise' on the web about American Standard units that shouldn't have slipped through QA
- 75$ rebate
rfnut
Premium Member
join:2002-04-27
Fisher, IL

1 recommendation

rfnut to Cho Baka

Premium Member

to Cho Baka
said by Cho Baka:

Pulled the trigger.
I installed it today, and was surprised at how straightforward installation was. This was my first toilet.

Much nicer than an outhouse, aint it.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to Cho Baka

to Cho Baka
I had to use one of those higher toilets during a stay at a Ronald McDonald House. I don't like those toilets. I'd prefer one that was lower than normal.

CylonRed
MVM
Bloom County

1 recommendation

CylonRed to Cho Baka

MVM

to Cho Baka
It is odd- the Cadet we have is a 1.28 gal/flush and it seems noisy but outside of the bathroom - no one can hear it. It sounds loud in the bathroom but it does not seem to transmit past the inside. Even with the toilet literally next to the door.

dennismurphy
Put me on hold? I'll put YOU on hold
Premium Member
join:2002-11-19
Parsippany, NJ

dennismurphy to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

WE just got a Cadet 3 - need to get a second one to replace out older toilet - they are fantastic (the Cadet 3s)...

I prefer the Champion 4 for its extra flushing power (and height.) Having said that, the Cadet 3 is an excellent unit as well.

Cho Baka
MVM
there

Cho Baka

MVM

One thing I should mention is that the Drake 2 is what they call a "Universal Height" toilet.

Definitely higher than the old one.

battleop
join:2005-09-28

battleop to shdesigns

to shdesigns
Divert the refill tube into another container and measure the amount of diverted water.