MuDvAyNe
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Brooklyn, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
·Verizon FiOS

New install.. remote not working

My neighbor got FiOS installed today. The tech was there for a while and couldn't get the cable to work, blaming it on a problem at the main office.

I went over and noticed the picture on his tv being the FiOS screen saver and said give me the remote. I clicked Menu expecting the picture to pop up but it did nothing. I asked him if I could look at his set top box. To my surprise it was an old Motorola box. I can't believe they are still giving new customers these ancient boxes. It was either a Motorola 6416 or a 7216, I forgot to check.

Anyway I went and clicked Menu on the box and wouldn't you know the tv worked. I asked him if the tech even tried this and he stated no. He had the techs number and called him back and said it was strange the tv worked now and the remote didn't. He came back apparently and said that it was still the main offices problem that the remote was not working, that it takes time for the "remote" to be active...

I am thinking that the new FiOS remotes, P265 might not work on these older boxes? Anyone have any input on this? The remote does power on the TV and controls the tv volume but that's it.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

McBane

join:2008-08-22
Plano, TX

Yeah, there is apparently a huge severe shortage of DVRs in the northeast because Sandy killed a ton of them, so most people up there are stuck with the grey older motorola boxes.

Honestly I still use one in my house and it works fine with a 2TB HD attached. It works fine with all my fios remotes, I have the one power button and two power button (STB and remote) ones.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Ah totally forgot about Sandy destroying Verizon. Still strange that the remote isn't working. I hope for his sake by tomorrow it does but I have a feeling it won't.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

jcondon

join:2000-05-27
Fishkill, NY
reply to MuDvAyNe

The P265 remote works on the old grey stand alone boxes. I have a QIP-7100-1 and it works fine with that as well as the 7232 we also have.

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Middletown, DE

1 edit
reply to MuDvAyNe

That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard! Sounds like an idiot tech who didn't want to troubleshoot. The "remote" does not need to be activated "remotely". The box yes, but not the remote. Could you change channels using the buttons on the box? If so, the box is activated. Take over your own remote if you have FiOS, does it work with your remote? If so, he has a bad remote, if not, his probably has a bad IR receiver and he'd need to swap the box out.

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

Yea the box could change channels. I figured it was either the remote or the box. When he gets home later today I will go over with my remote and see what happens.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

MuDvAyNe
Premium
Brooklyn, NY
reply to MuDvAyNe

It's his box but apparently Verizon doesn't believe him so another tech is scheduled to pay him a visit. Hopefully he gets a newer box this time around.
--
Mets, Cowboys, Devils

matthewh16

join:2010-05-21
Middletown, DE

I've had Verizon try and tell me I was wrong before. I finally demanded they do what I said (in this case replace the ONT), they wanted to just keep sending me routers. They finally gave in, and guess what? I WAS RIGHT :P