uniqs

FFH5
Premium Member
join:2002-03-03
Tavistock NJ

FFH5

Premium Member

RCA has a tablet that receives OTA TV

RCA has released an Android tablet with 2 TV tuners. One for picking up OTA TV stations(it has a telescoping antenna) and one tuner for Dyle TV.

»www.theverge.com/2013/1/ ··· o-tuners

Priced at $299 and set for release in the spring, the Android-powered Mobile TV Tablet features an 8-inch display with a 1024 x 768 resolution, a Cortex A5 1GHz processor, and 1GB of RAM, as well as an over-the-air tuner and a Dyle TV-compatible mobile TV tuner. Dyle TV allows users to view live television content from major stations over-the-air.

Viewers will also have access to on-screen program information and closed captioning, but unfortunately the device doesn't have DVR capabilities, despite its 8GB of on-board storage. RCA claims that the tablet's battery can last up to 10 hours when web browsing, but only four hours in mobile TV mode.

the biggest advantage with the Mobile TV Tablet is that, since all broadcasts are transmitted over-the-air, data coverage and usage are of no concern.

Additionally, while the standard tuner and its telesopic antenna may have access to more stations, it can only be utilized when the device is stationary, so viewers travelling in a vehicle are stuck with Dyle TV's offerings. Still, if live television broadcasts are important to you, there aren't many other options besides RCA's upcoming tablet.

Want to watch a football game at the park on Sunday on a Network TV station, then this is your baby.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

Meh! I'd rather watch the games I want, not the game my stupid local affiliates want me to watch. The DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket app is a better than this. Although the TV tuner could come in handy for Fox Saturday Baseball.
88615298 (banned)
join:2004-07-28
West Tenness

1 recommendation

88615298 (banned)

said by Happydude32:

Meh! I'd rather watch the games I want, not the game my stupid local affiliates want me to watch. The DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket app is a better than this.

if one has DirecTv and Sunday Ticket. Most don't. Also most people are happy with watching the home team.

88615298 (banned) to FFH5

to FFH5
The question is does the tablet have an option to use another antenna besides the one that is on it because for many areas that is useless.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

said by Happydude32:

Meh! I'd rather watch the games I want, not the game my stupid local affiliates want me to watch. The DirecTV NFL Sunday Ticket app is a better than this.

if one has DirecTv and Sunday Ticket. Most don't. Also most people are happy with watching the home team.

Living in an area that doesn’t have a professional football team (Buffalo, NY), I’ll take anything. On a typical Sunday our NFL options in Western NY include our hometown Div III NCAA team that masquerades as an NFL team, and the New York Giants who I despise.

As a fan of football in general, not of any specific team (I can no longer support the Bills until they make some serious big time changes), NFL Sunday Ticket is the best thing since sliced bread.

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I'll stick with my iPad and iPad mini.

RCA electronics are absolutely junk. We got our first color TV in 1992 and it lasted a year. It had to go for repairs so they could not fix it so they authorized a warranty replacement. The second one lasted another 2 years and it needed repairs along the way. So 2 RCA TVs lasted at total of three years before the last one ended up on the curb on trash day. We bought a Samsung 20" color TV and that lasted from 1995 to 2001. The Sony color TV that I bought in 2001 to replace the Samsung still works today. It is in my basement and used for watching the weather channel during tornado warnings. I also use it for Music Choice when doing work in the basement.

MacBridger
Late to the party
Premium Member
join:2001-01-11
Morgantown, WV

MacBridger to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
I'm not sure how an RCA tablet would look with my M4 roof mounted antenna attached to it though...
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned)

said by MacBridger:

I'm not sure how an RCA tablet would look with my M4 roof mounted antenna attached to it though...

I'm just saying in may area you'd get in ZERO channels with that antenna on that thing. I'm certainly not paying $300 for a tablet like that whose best feature doesn't even work. I might as well spend that $300 on 8.9 inch Kindle Fire HD.

88615298 (banned) to Happydude32

to Happydude32
Don't worry by 2020 the Bills will be in Toronto so they won't be your problem anymore.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I would have said sooner than that, but a 7 year lease on the stadium was just signed. Even if the team were to move to Toronto, they'd still probably be our 'home' NFL franchise and we'd get them on TV. Now if they move to LA, that would be another story. This football team is absolutely disgusting, I actually would be in total favor of the Bills leaving if there was a guarantee that in 5 years down the line we’d be awarded an expansion franchise and have the team come back as a totally new organization with no ties to the previous one like Cleveland. The LA Bills can get credited with those four straight Super Bowl chokes led by an overrated quarterback who never even wanted to be here to begin with. And who knows SoCal may be good for them. Look at the LA Clippers, it only took them 33 years after they left Buffalo to become relevant in the NBA
Kearnstd
Space Elf
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Mullica Hill, NJ

Kearnstd to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
said by 88615298:

Don't worry by 2020 the Bills will be in Toronto so they won't be your problem anymore.

by 2020 the FCC will have pawned off every last bit of TV spectrum so it can sit unused in the hands of Verizon and AT&T and OTA tuners will no longer have a use.
ShellMMG
join:2009-04-16
Grass Lake, MI

ShellMMG to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
I have a 1st Gen iPad, tracked it from the slow boat from China (not kidding!) and I love it. The battery life after my constant use is still fantastic, and don't know how I ever survived without it.

My daughter got her first contract and an iPhone earlier this week. She has a 2nd Gen iPad but has fallen in love with the phone. If there's a plus for me -- other than shifting her off our contract -- it's that we can use iMessage rather than texting with dumb phones. I'll keep my dumbphone and cheap contract as long as I can, but texting is the absolute pits with it.
elray
join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA

elray to IowaCowboy

to IowaCowboy
said by IowaCowboy:

I'll stick with my iPad and iPad mini.

RCA electronics are absolutely junk. We got our first color TV in 1992 and it lasted a year. It had to go for repairs so they could not fix it so they authorized a warranty replacement. The second one lasted another 2 years and it needed repairs along the way. So 2 RCA TVs lasted at total of three years before the last one ended up on the curb on trash day. We bought a Samsung 20" color TV and that lasted from 1995 to 2001. The Sony color TV that I bought in 2001 to replace the Samsung still works today. It is in my basement and used for watching the weather channel during tornado warnings. I also use it for Music Choice when doing work in the basement.

I'll second that emotion.

Not sure whether it was Base 2 (printers), Packard Bell, Yugo, Government Motors, Haier or Coby that inspires them, but for the past decade, everything RCA is just patently awful. They give "junk" a bad name.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to Kearnstd

Premium Member

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by 88615298:

by 2020 the FCC will have pawned off every last bit of TV spectrum so it can sit unused in the hands of Verizon and AT&T and OTA tuners will no longer have a use.

God we can only hope! I cannot wait for the day when useless OTA TV is gone. Other than sports, I see very little value in over the air TV. Content would be so much better if the creators didnt have to abide by FCC rules pertaining to 'obscenity'. You really cant compare critically acclaimed series like Boardwalk Empire, Homeland and American Horror Story with the latest shit that ABC, NBC and CBS are peddling. As series that I watch on the networks, CBS primarily, end or get canceled, Im watching less and less network TV as its all formulaic junk with little to no creativity for the most part. Big Bang Theory, Criminal Minds, 2 Broke Girls and Blue Bloods along with the Animation Domination block on Fox are the only shows Id miss OTA TV broadcasting ceased tomorrow. Id rather have the spectrum sit there and do nothing then keep the dying medium of OTA TV alive.
Happydude32

Happydude32 to ShellMMG

Premium Member

to ShellMMG
said by ShellMMG:

My daughter got her first contract and an iPhone earlier this week. She has a 2nd Gen iPad but has fallen in love with the phone. If there's a plus for me -- other than shifting her off our contract -- it's that we can use iMessage rather than texting with dumb phones. I'll keep my dumbphone and cheap contract as long as I can, but texting is the absolute pits with it.

I’m sorry to hear that. You do realize there are much better products out there other than that stuff with a shiny fruit on the back, right? I hope you remember to say thank you to RIM for that in your bedtime prayers. iMessage was a direct rip-off of Blackberry Messenger. Just one of Apples many so called ‘innovations’ that they stole from other companies, since they can’t innovate for themselves.

Tomek
Premium Member
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

Tomek to elray

Premium Member

to elray
Really Crappy Appliance.

That's why I stay away
88615298 (banned)
West Tenness

88615298 (banned) to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

I would have said sooner than that, but a 7 year lease on the stadium was just signed.

Actually it was a 10 year lease with a buy out after 7 years for $10 mil. which is why I said 2020. If the Bills were really interested in staying in the city they wouldn't have made it so easy to leave in 7 years. By the LA will have their team. Besides Toronto is one of the largest cities in North America.

88615298 (banned) to Kearnstd

to Kearnstd
said by Kearnstd:

said by 88615298:

A) Please. The FCC is not auctioning off all the OTA TV. In fact not even most of it. The FCC at best will get 80 MHz and probably closer to 60 Mhz. Just looking at UHF, OTA currently has 222 MHz.

B) The mobile companies will not sit on that spectrum. That is FUD. Verizon is using ALL of it 700 MHz spectrum for LTE that it got in the auction in 2008. That's why later this year they will deploying the AWS spectrum they just got from the cable complies a few months ago because they are squatting on it.

Can you at least provide FACTUAL information when you post something.

skeechan
Ai Otsukaholic
Premium Member
join:2012-01-26
AA169|170

skeechan to FFH5

Premium Member

to FFH5
I'd rather Sling, then I have all the junk piled up on my TiVos too.

Metatron2008
You're it
Premium Member
join:2008-09-02
united state

Metatron2008 to 88615298

Premium Member

to 88615298
Wow, 222 mhz and they can only do really shitty cable tv like hd? With that we could have ultra fast mobile internet AND really shitty netflix hd

IowaCowboy
Lost in the Supermarket
Premium Member
join:2010-10-16
Springfield, MA

IowaCowboy

Premium Member

said by Metatron2008:

Wow, 222 mhz and they can only do really shitty cable tv like hd? With that we could have ultra fast mobile internet AND really shitty netflix hd

The HD on the Comcast system where I live is pretty decent. It all depends on how much bandwidth the system has available. Our system shut off all the analogs in 2010 and the deployed a lot of HD at the same time.