Your Ad Here
Premium Member
join:2002-12-04
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

CarMax vs. Good Ol Fashion Stealership

Evening All,

So as tax time approaches, I find myself looking to purchase a car, whether it be between 2-3 years old or brand spanking new off the lot.

For whatever reason I find myself really drawn to CarMax and their prices and wide range of selections.

I would like some opinions from those who have dealt with CarMax in the past.

I already checked BBB and it's really put me in a tough spot as there were like over a thousand complaints against them, from the recently closed complaints that I read CarMax seemed like it would go above and beyond to help their customer's with any issues.

I really don't want to go the route of dealerships due to limited selection of vehicles and not as many finance options.

Any advise is appreciated, thanks in advance!
Bob4
Account deleted
join:2012-07-22
New Jersey

Bob4

Honda has 0.9% financing for 2012 Civics and some other models. What other options do you need?

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

I am not too fond of the 2012 civic's design, I like the 2011 and older style instead, plus I am a rather large gentleman.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
We bought a car from there once and had no problems. They were pretty nice to deal with.
adamtech78
join:2006-01-25
Chicago, IL

adamtech78

I helped my dad find his last minivan at Carmax. He wanted a Dodge Caravan as he's used to them having two of them in the past. Since I know more about cars than him, he basically was looking for my blessing in a way.

We went to few stores and looked at their inventory. One of them had AC issues (as soon as I turned on the AC the clutch was very noisy), and one may have been hit in the past as the driver side sliding door was sticking out weird.

All in all he was very happy with the purchase he had made. After purchase we were informed that the van was a car rental (which we knew due to carfax).

I purchased my last car at a used car dealership and I had to go through the typical haggling.

I would not hesitate to consider carmax in the future. It was very welcoming to be able to test drive cars, etc without being so pressured to buy etc.

Good luck hunting.

DeltaElite
We Dont Dial 911
join:2002-03-29
Tucker, GA

DeltaElite to MEDIAN2k3

to MEDIAN2k3
Son bought his last car there and there after sale service was first class.

They replaced the clutch under the extended warranty with after market parts cause Hyundai parts were not available.

I now own the car after he bought a newR-Spec Genesis...

They just replaced a blower motor (dash removed) under warranty and I got the car back cleaner and running better then it was when I took it too them.

I'd shop by price and reputation and I'd recommend these folks whole heartedly.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
I looked at them recently for a 2-3 year old Honda CRv to replace one that was totaled. They had one but the price was just about the same as a new one. They don't negotitate on the price and push their service plans. I ended up getting a new one from a dealership (they made me an offer I couldnt refuse)

By the way, check out the CRV 2010-2013 models, quite roomy.

ilikeme
Premium Member
join:2002-08-27
Stafford, TX

ilikeme

Premium Member

said by nightdesigns:

I looked at them recently for a 2-3 year old Honda CRv to replace one that was totaled. They had one but the price was just about the same as a new one. They don't negotitate on the price and push their service plans. I ended up getting a new one from a dealership (they made me an offer I couldnt refuse)

By the way, check out the CRV 2010-2013 models, quite roomy.

I have a 2012 and its great.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

I am very happy with everyone's feedback, I was also considering a Honda CR-V as well as one of the few, I just need to make sure the money is right before I commit to buying the car. This is a great great relief that my fellow DSLr's have dealt with them in the past!

I will report back in a few months time when the car becomes mine

Thanks!

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium Member
join:2000-08-05
united state

Snakeoil to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
The only dealings i ever had with Carmax was to off load out old cars. They tended to give a better deal then a dealer.

As for a car loan, what about going to a bank? I talked to my local bank and the person there said that they will give a loan, no matter how bad the credit history. Though she added that it will effect interest rates.
Bu you could get pre-approved by a bank, and know how much car you can afford when you go shopping. That way the dealer can't add extras to the paper work.
For example my truck was listed at 28k. A nearby dealer was selling the same truck with hail damage, for 21k. The dealer at 28k said ok, 21k no problem.
By the time the paper work was done, we owed 29k. They managed to tack on 8k in fees onto the paper work. Well, ok, it was called interest. Paid over 5 years.
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to MEDIAN2k3

to MEDIAN2k3
We have a 2010 CR-V. The thing is underpowered, downshifts on the slightest incline, gets lousy gas mileage, and comes with very noisy tires. We get 21 mpg around town, and 24 mpg on the highway. It has a small gas tank, so the range is only around 300 miles or so.

My 2012 Accord (4 cyl) is much better. It has the same engine as the CR-V, but since it's lighter and has less wind resistance, has more power and gets 32 mpg on the highway (range is 550+ miles). It's also quieter and has a better sound system.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

A friend of mine has a 2012 Accord and I do love it but I am still on the fence, in the end my monthly payment will determine everything so we will see. I am going to go to my local honda dealer before I go to CarMax just to see what kind of deals they will have on 2013's, I do love the look of the 13 Accord.

nightdesigns
Gone missing, back soon
Premium Member
join:2002-05-31
AZ

nightdesigns

Premium Member

I picked up my 2012 CR-V for less than invoice (which is identical to the 2013) because they were trying to clear them off the lot. Also offering below 2% financing right now as well.

By the way, had both the 2010 and 2012 CRV (2010 was totaled, replaced with 2012). The 2012 has some very nice upgrades (blue tooth audio, rear seats fold down better, much more storage, and a pretty significant increase in gas mileage (30+ highway)).

The accord is also very nice, and the Civics are very reliable (my wife has a '06 with 110,000+ miles on it).

If you are interested in the Honda Care extended warranty, you can order it through an online Honda dealer for quite a bit less).
Bob4
Account deleted
New Jersey

Bob4 to MEDIAN2k3

to MEDIAN2k3
If you can wait until February, Honda typically has good financing deals (0.9% or 1.9%). Right now, there aren't any on the Accord or CR-V.

»automobiles.honda.com/cu ··· ers.aspx

A friendly dealer will tell you what financing offers are coming up in the near future.

RobNyc
Premium Member
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY

RobNyc to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
I'm myself in the same boat looking at the 2013 Accord or Cadillac ATS and Carmax is looking interesting.

I currently own a 2007 bmw 328xi sedan ( horrible mpg ) and trying to get rid of this premium gas.

Karride
Slower Traffic Keep Right
Premium Member
join:2000-04-17
Germantown, TN

Karride to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
Went through CarMax for my wife's 2010 Odyssey and had a good experience. She started out wanting a VW Routan (And I'll be dammed if I'm gonna buy a re-badged Caravan) and I steered her towards the Honda by test driving about 4 other vans.....sales people did a good job of just letting us come to our own decision, and offered input without seeming pushy.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

I am planning on making the purchase end of March start of April so thats not an issue.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by MEDIAN2k3:

I am planning on making the purchase end of March start of April so thats not an issue.

What are you looking to get ?
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
I got my F-150 from CarMax back in 2003. I'd consider shopping with them again. It was a good experience.

Had to use them for warranty work 1 time and it was a no-questions-asked deal.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

I am not too brand biased but I would love to end up in a Honda, but I wouldn't mind driving a VW Jetta or even a Dodge Avenger.

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc

Premium Member

said by MEDIAN2k3:

I am not too brand biased but I would love to end up in a Honda, but I wouldn't mind driving a VW Jetta or even a Dodge Avenger.

I currently have a 2007 BMW 328xi sedan just hit 50k miles, that I'm trying to sell before I do last minute option trade-in.

wouldn't mind getting a 2009+ 335d (diesel), or Cadillac ATS, CTS Coupe, or Accord 13'

I wonder if carmax offers financing/leasing?

pmohr
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

pmohr

Premium Member

said by RobNyc:

Yes.
»www.carmax.com/enus/carm ··· ult.html
ke4pym
Premium Member
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC

ke4pym to RobNyc

Premium Member

to RobNyc
said by RobNyc:

wouldn't mind getting a 2009+ 335d (diesel), or Cadillac ATS, CTS Coupe, or Accord 13'

Dude. I got to drive a 2011 335d on the race track at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC.

That's a fun little car to drive. A little slow, compared to the other goodies we got to drive. But it would kick you in the pants with torque!

I have problems getting into the front seats of the 3 series cars. I have to almost fold myself in half. It is actually easier for me to get in the back seat over the front. Once I'm in, I'm good. Plenty of room. I would have considered getting one if it weren't for the in/out thing.

And yeah, CarMax will finance. They shop your loan around to a ton of banks and find the best fit for your situation.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to RobNyc

MVM

to RobNyc
Get financing before you go there....

RobNyc
Premium Member
New York, NY

RobNyc to MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

to MEDIAN2k3
OP, I found this place too »www.expressautolease.com ··· do/index

Heard good things about them

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper
join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA

chucky5150 to MEDIAN2k3

to MEDIAN2k3
We just got a 2011 Mazda CX-9 from carmaxx. Financed through Carmaxx @ 2.45%. Talked to Chase bank about financing and they said the dealers beat them all the time. The car is that it used to be a rental so it has alot of miles for one year. Got it with just over 30,000 miles. That being said a car in the shop every week wont have that many miles on it. Had my mechanic check it out and said it was a clean car.

The only issue we had was with the was the keys. They gave us one of the real keys and a valet key. The only door the valet key could open is the driver door, none of the other door / rear hatch has a key hole to open.

Ended up calling carmaxx back about the keys and they said there was nothing to do as we got 2 "working" keys. Talked to the salesman and he said there isn't much to do. That to the letter of the policy Carmaxx held up their end.

We found a 1-800 number to their corporate customer service or something and ended up getting the issue fixed. They fixed the issue and even followed up with us to check in to make sure everything got fixed and people called back who said they would.

The local offices don't seem to have much wiggle room if things don't go as planned. Just work your way up the chain of command and any problem should get worked out.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

Just an update to this thread for those who were interested.

I ended up not going to CarMax and at first went to a local dealer who was not able to get me financed at all.

However, a co-worker of mine who's husband works for a very big dealership was able to bring me in pick out a car and get a good deal for me.

Turns out I have No credit history, not bad not good but not worthy of credit.

He was able to get me in a 08 Ford Edge w/ $1,500 down, my APR is severely (23%) high but that's due to my poor credit standing which after a year of on time payments will change.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Gdamn! 23%? Too bad you couldn't get your credit in line before you had to buy.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium Member
Howard Beach, NY

MEDIAN2k3

Premium Member

Yeah I was completely unaware that I had no credit report, I thought I had bad credit which oddly would have been better lol

Thats ok after a year I will refinance and get better payments or trade up for something else.

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

It may help others if you give a brief description of how you have no credit history. I doubt that is very common.