share rss forum feed

RobNyc
Premium
join:2002-03-06
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Re: CarMax vs. Good Ol Fashion Stealership

said by MEDIAN2k3:

I am not too brand biased but I would love to end up in a Honda, but I wouldn't mind driving a VW Jetta or even a Dodge Avenger.

I currently have a 2007 BMW 328xi sedan just hit 50k miles, that I'm trying to sell before I do last minute option trade-in.

wouldn't mind getting a 2009+ 335d (diesel), or Cadillac ATS, CTS Coupe, or Accord 13'

I wonder if carmax offers financing/leasing?

pmohr
Premium
join:2002-09-22
Maryville, TN

said by RobNyc:

Yes.
»www.carmax.com/enus/carmax-auto-···ult.html

ke4pym
Premium
join:2004-07-24
Charlotte, NC
Reviews:
·VOIPO
·ooma
·Verizon Broadban..
·Northland Cable ..
·Time Warner Cable
reply to RobNyc

said by RobNyc:

wouldn't mind getting a 2009+ 335d (diesel), or Cadillac ATS, CTS Coupe, or Accord 13'

Dude. I got to drive a 2011 335d on the race track at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC.

That's a fun little car to drive. A little slow, compared to the other goodies we got to drive. But it would kick you in the pants with torque!

I have problems getting into the front seats of the 3 series cars. I have to almost fold myself in half. It is actually easier for me to get in the back seat over the front. Once I'm in, I'm good. Plenty of room. I would have considered getting one if it weren't for the in/out thing.

And yeah, CarMax will finance. They shop your loan around to a ton of banks and find the best fit for your situation.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
reply to RobNyc

Get financing before you go there....

RobNyc
Premium
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

OP, I found this place too »www.expressautolease.com/affilia···do/index

Heard good things about them

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper

join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA
reply to MEDIAN2k3

We just got a 2011 Mazda CX-9 from carmaxx. Financed through Carmaxx @ 2.45%. Talked to Chase bank about financing and they said the dealers beat them all the time. The car is that it used to be a rental so it has alot of miles for one year. Got it with just over 30,000 miles. That being said a car in the shop every week wont have that many miles on it. Had my mechanic check it out and said it was a clean car.

The only issue we had was with the was the keys. They gave us one of the real keys and a valet key. The only door the valet key could open is the driver door, none of the other door / rear hatch has a key hole to open.

Ended up calling carmaxx back about the keys and they said there was nothing to do as we got 2 "working" keys. Talked to the salesman and he said there isn't much to do. That to the letter of the policy Carmaxx held up their end.

We found a 1-800 number to their corporate customer service or something and ended up getting the issue fixed. They fixed the issue and even followed up with us to check in to make sure everything got fixed and people called back who said they would.

The local offices don't seem to have much wiggle room if things don't go as planned. Just work your way up the chain of command and any problem should get worked out.
--
Member of the US Air Force since May 7th, 2002 To March 29th, 2005

"You sneak up behind yourself and remove your pants before you realize what's going on." KOL

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
join:2002-12-04
Bronx, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Just an update to this thread for those who were interested.

I ended up not going to CarMax and at first went to a local dealer who was not able to get me financed at all.

However, a co-worker of mine who's husband works for a very big dealership was able to bring me in pick out a car and get a good deal for me.

Turns out I have No credit history, not bad not good but not worthy of credit.

He was able to get me in a 08 Ford Edge w/ $1,500 down, my APR is severely (23%) high but that's due to my poor credit standing which after a year of on time payments will change.
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

Warzau
Premium
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Gdamn! 23%? Too bad you couldn't get your credit in line before you had to buy.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Yeah I was completely unaware that I had no credit report, I thought I had bad credit which oddly would have been better lol

Thats ok after a year I will refinance and get better payments or trade up for something else.
--
If you love something, let it go. If it comes back to you, it's your's. If it doesn't, it never was to begin with.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

It may help others if you give a brief description of how you have no credit history. I doubt that is very common.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Well I am 26 and I have never had any credit cards (always been denied), I have not had any loans since my college loan which has been paid for quite sometime now and has since fallen off my credit report.

Basically my credit report shows nothing but my personal information.
--

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

How many years ago was the college loan? My college loans still show up years after I have paid them off and more years since I got them.

You can get a secured credit card to help on that end but I would decidedly look into why the college loans are not on the report.

Personally - I think you would have been off buying a car for cash while working on the credit score.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Loans were umm possibly 2007ish

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

Yea my loans started in 1993 or so and paid off in about 2010 (thought I think it was earlier) and these still show on my credit report. Your loans should be on your report.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

RobNyc
Premium
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Median, I am in a similar situation.

I am also 26yrs old, but when I was 20 I got 2 CC and maxed them out didn't make any payments till a year later i paid them off and closed them. Just paid off a small college loan I had and via Smartcreditdotcom I requested "Request a goodwill removal of a negative on this account" and got in the mail that they will.

My score is 602 and after 30 days I will check again to see my score. I really like the 2011+ Ford Edge and really thinking on getting one. Right now I got denied when I applied for CC, so I was thinking about getting secured CC but something tells me I should just go ahead and try to finance/lease a car.

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
Bronx, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to MEDIAN2k3

Getting financed was NOT easy, my dealer had to go thru hell and high water to get me the loan. One thing I will say is that Toyota Financial Services is a bit more easier to get financed with then other car banks.

They wanted to put me in a 2013 Corolla but I declined as I need the room for my family, plus truck is clean and was very well maintained.
--

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

1 edit
reply to MEDIAN2k3

said by MEDIAN2k3:

Thats ok after a year I will refinance and get better payments or trade up for something else.

I hope you truly did get a good price on the Ford Edge and hopefully in a year it will be worth more than what you owe on it, else refinancing will be difficult.
One quick and dirty way it find out is to look up the NADA value of the same vehicle that's one year older than yours. If you'll owe less than that price (by this time next year) you should be okay.
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

MEDIAN2k3
Your Ad Here
Premium
Bronx, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

According to NADA clean trade in value is 15k, The car was sold to me for 12k, looks good to me.

natedj
Elected
Premium
join:2001-06-06
Columbia, SC

Looks like you're ahead of the game now, but its good practice to check the the vehicle that's a year older than yours to get an idea of how much they depreciate every year.
Some vehicles hold their value well from year to year and others shed value quickly. It doesn't seem to be that way in your case, but just thought Id mention it
--
Good judgement comes with experience...Experience comes after bad judgements

chucky5150
Divers do it Deeper

join:2001-11-03
New Iberia, LA
reply to MEDIAN2k3

I was in a situation like this when I got my truck. Got a loan via capital one @ 17%

Something you need to think about before you try and get a refi on your loan is no one (well no one I talked to) would loan money while I was still upside down on the truck. I was paying an extra $200-250 a month just to get right side up and it still took 2 years before I could get a refi @ 10%

Hope you have better luck than I did.
--
Member of the US Air Force since May 7th, 2002 To March 29th, 2005

"You sneak up behind yourself and remove your pants before you realize what's going on." KOL

RobNyc
Premium
New York, NY
reply to MEDIAN2k3

said by MEDIAN2k3:

Getting financed was NOT easy, my dealer had to go thru hell and high water to get me the loan. One thing I will say is that Toyota Financial Services is a bit more easier to get financed with then other car banks.

They wanted to put me in a 2013 Corolla but I declined as I need the room for my family, plus truck is clean and was very well maintained.

I got approved for $20,000 from Ford. I currently own a 2007 BMW 328xi sedan with 50,500 miles on the clock. Going to try to sell it privately first, or see how much dealers offer before I take it to carmax (60 miles away).
I really like the new ford edge since its not that much longer in size than my current car and thats exactly what I'm looking for a small convenient vehicle 4 door.
I like the Mustang as well but I hear their live-rear axle really s**Ks especially in wet/snow weather. So let's see if this 2014 mustang changes that.

I was really interested in the New Accord Coupe but its such a long coupe might as get the sedan but the features review it's so outdated still to this day.
I had a Cadillac STS V6 2006 before the BMW and was very happy with the car but sold it because already had 127,000 miles. So been attracted to the CTS Coupe and even the new ATS.

How would you be able to re-finance after a year?

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

said by RobNyc:

said by MEDIAN2k3:

I got approved for $20,000 from Ford. I currently own a 2007 BMW 328xi sedan with 50,500 miles on the clock. Going to try to sell it privately first, or see how much dealers offer before I take it to carmax (60 miles away).
I really like the new ford edge since its not that much longer in size than my current car and thats exactly what I'm looking for a small convenient vehicle 4 door.
I like the Mustang as well but I hear their live-rear axle really s**Ks especially in wet/snow weather. So let's see if this 2014 mustang changes that.

I was really interested in the New Accord Coupe but its such a long coupe might as get the sedan but the features review it's so outdated still to this day.
I had a Cadillac STS V6 2006 before the BMW and was very happy with the car but sold it because already had 127,000 miles. So been attracted to the CTS Coupe and even the new ATS.

How would you be able to re-finance after a year?

Good friend has a older 745 BMW and just bought a 2013 Accord EX.

Loves it. Loves not buying premium. Loves getting relatively good gas mileage.

Actually thinks it's bigger on the inside than the beemer.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
Bloom County

There is a lot of stuff in the Bimmer's - thigh and side seat bolsters take up a good bit of room as those bolsters are generally larger than on the Honda.
--
Brian

mityfowl
Premium
join:2000-11-06
Dallas, TX

said by CylonRed:

There is a lot of stuff in the Bimmer's - thigh and side seat bolsters take up a good bit of room as those bolsters are generally larger than on the Honda.

Replacing the water cooled alternator in the BMW just about killed her.

itguy05

join:2005-06-17
Carlisle, PA
reply to RobNyc

said by RobNyc:

Has nothing to do with live/solid rear axle. It's the tires. Wide tires suck in the snow no matter what, and the Mustang has them. Best thing for any RWD car is good snow tires. Add a little weight to the trunk and you're golden. Got through many a PA/NJ winter like that in my Mustang and RWD G35.

Owning a couple Mustangs in PA/NJ winters you learn their quirks just like any other car. Ford has tweaked the live axle set up since 1964 and it will hang with much more expensive and complicated cars now.

I really don't expect any difference in the axles nest year. They dabbled with IRS in the late 90's and it wasn't that successful.