Search similar:

uniqs

DataRiker
Premium Member
join:2002-05-19

DataRiker to fukitol

Premium Member

to fukitol

Re: Combine The ONT, NID and RG Into One Unit?

said by fukitol:

Ah yes, you can always count on middle management to tell problem-solvers not to solve problems.

Middle management? Att is so redundant that you don't reach middle management until you are second assistant manager to the second regional manager under the regional manager.

jl166r
@sbcglobal.net

jl166r to Darknessfall

Anon

to Darknessfall
said by Darknessfall:

@Forosnai

»www.pace.com/americas/pr ··· /5168nv/ ?

t says it supports pair bonding and ADSL/It says it supports pair bonding and ADSL/VDSL.

We will. An instructor in Indy shown me this same model and it had a big AT&T Research sticker on it.
Paralel
join:2011-03-24
Michigan, US

Paralel to fukitol

to fukitol
said by fukitol:

Ah yes, you can always count on middle management to tell problem-solvers not to solve problems.

If that isn't the truth, I don't know what is.

Darknessfall
Premium Member
join:2012-08-17
Motorola MG8725
Asus RT-N66

1 edit

Darknessfall to fukitol

Premium Member

to fukitol
@Forosnai

»www.pace.com/americas/pr ··· /5168nv/ ?

It says it supports pair bonding and ADSL/VDSL. Hopefully we get this in the future lol.

fukitol
Solon for President
Premium Member
join:2001-06-11
PonziWorld

fukitol to ILpt4U

Premium Member

to ILpt4U

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO

ILpt4U to UverseTech2

Premium Member

to UverseTech2
Management chewed me out and told me to not do that after I tried it a couple times in the situation you described
UverseTech2
join:2012-08-04

UverseTech2 to Forosnai

to Forosnai
The iNids do work great for a single pair install that's too far though. I agree the concept is a fail, but they work great on a connex in the 2-3K range that struggles. It is so much better than the junk RGs that are in the field today.

I personally swapped at least 2 dozen customers that had intermittent signal issues when no outside problems could be detected and the single pair iNid saved the day. It seems to be overkill but the rgs could not hang. I sure hope other techs read this and start this practice in the field. I picked this up in San Antonio where it is standard practice.

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U to Forosnai

Premium Member

to Forosnai
said by Forosnai:

would be really interesting to see if pair bonded ADSL2+ could put IPTV into markets that have poor competition

We already know it can - CenturyLink is using bonded ADSL2+ for its Prism services, which is very much like U-Verse (Microsoft MediaRoom IPTV service, using the same IPTV receivers)

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai to Craiger

to Craiger
The iNID combining the demarcation with the "gateway" feature is epic fail. ONTs and NIDs are here to stay, but we will see a newer inside unit that can handle all the transport types of Uverse (would be really interesting to see if pair bonded ADSL2+ could put IPTV into markets that have poor competition).
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to Craiger

to Craiger
said by Craiger:

You answered my questions, thanks.

No problem
doubleohwhat

doubleohwhat to Craiger

to Craiger
said by Craiger:

An all in one inside unit would be cool and get rid of the outside unit.

Erm, exactly what unit is outside on non-iNID installs? The NID is usually just a dumb plastic box where the drop terminates.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger to doubleohwhat

to doubleohwhat
You answered my questions, thanks.
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

doubleohwhat to Craiger

to Craiger
I'm curious, is there a reason an indoor RG or an iNID with the indoor i38HG won't meet your needs? To my knowledge PACE doesn't offer a device like the one you're describing and I don't see them developing one while their current products meet the requirements for most installs. Like I mentioned above, I believe the next piece of hardware we'll see AT&T offering is an indoor RG that supports pair bonding. The iNID seems to be hated by most techs and the only way AT&T is going to achieve their plans for faster speeds is with pair bonding (I'm not buying the crap about vectoring being the magical solution).
Craiger
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger to doubleohwhat

to doubleohwhat
An all in one inside unit would be cool and get rid of the outside unit. Homeowners probably wouldn't want ethernet cables running around and up the sides of their home from an all in one outside unit.
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to Craiger

to Craiger
Honestly, for a lot of different reasons, I just don't see AT&T offering a solution with all of the equipment in a single unit on the side of the house. At the very least, you're going to need a box indoors for the wireless AP. Also the set-top boxes can connect to the iNID via HPNA over coax just like the i38HG.

I think the next hardware option we'll see will be an indoor RG that offers the same pair bonding feature that the iNID currently offers.
Craiger
Chesterfield, MO

4 edits

Craiger to doubleohwhat

to doubleohwhat
I was thinking if the combined unit having the RG they could run ethernet lines from the RG's built in router to four rooms of the customers choice. However they could save the trouble of running the four lines and just run one like you said to a separate router.
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

2 edits

doubleohwhat to Craiger

to Craiger
That's essentially what the iNID is. The only piece of hardware (other than the tv boxes) inside the home for those installs is the i38HG. If you're going to use your own AP or router behind the iNID, you can do away with the i38HG and just run an ethernet cable to the iNID.

Personally though, I think they should look into offering business accounts a better modem before they consider any more of the all-in-one crap. Some of us just want a dumb modem to connect to our own router.
Craiger
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

Would Uverse ever think about doing this? The all in one unit could become the demarc point for the whole home.