hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to hayc59

Re: Congratulations January 2013 MVP Awards & Re-Awardees!!!

Corrine now that is very cool and thanks for having everyones back
G
»securitygarden.blogspot.com/2013···wfd.html

Expand your moderator at work

Triple Helix
Go Blue Jays Go
Premium
join:2007-07-26
Oshawa, ON
kudos:7
Reviews:
·Rogers Hi-Speed

1 recommendation

reply to Corrine

said by Corrine:

Actually, G, this is the link to the updated Microsoft MVP site: »mvp.microsoft.com/en-US/Pages/default.aspx

For whatever its worth, the names mentioned above do have public profiles and I believe all have announced being awarded again in 2013. (Our area had a rather traumatic end to 2013, which influenced my "announcement": 2013 - Microsoft MVP, Pay it Forward, #WWFD.)

What a nice personal story Corrine you posted on your Blog!

Daniel
--
Triple Helix - Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security 2012/13
VIP Member Of ASAP - (Alliance of Security Analysis Professionals™)
Official Webroot SecureAnywhere (Prevx) Support Forum Helper.
(H59 Clan)

DownTheShore
Honoring The Captain
Premium
join:2003-12-02
Beautiful NJ
kudos:13
Reviews:
·Verizon Online DSL

1 recommendation

reply to hayc59

Pardon my confusion, but what's such a big deal about the MVP award that people would want it to be secret? Are they ashamed of being named? Are they awarded a million dollars and are afraid of being robbed? Are they afraid that they are going to be kidnapped by tech terrorists and forced to build a computer that will take over the world?

It seems to be a worthy reward for good work, not something that should require secrecy and skullduggery.

Congrats to all the awardees.
--
Patriotism is not waving a flag, it is living the ideals

I want to retire to the Isle of Sodor and ride the trains.

Link Logger
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB
kudos:3

2 recommendations

said by DownTheShore:

Pardon my confusion, but what's such a big deal about the MVP award that people would want it to be secret? Are they ashamed of being named?

Not me, but I don't tend to keep a lot of secrets.

said by DownTheShore:

Are they awarded a million dollars and are afraid of being robbed?

Not a cash award so robbery is unlikely, however my Gadgeteer based home security devices are always on the look out for fresh meat to obliterate.

said by DownTheShore:

Are they afraid that they are going to be kidnapped by tech terrorists and forced to build a computer that will take over the world?

Maybe, I was kidnapped on my way to a conference once, fortunately it was a 'friendly' government, but that was before I was an MVP and the guise was to build a computer what would prevent someone from taking over the world.

said by DownTheShore:

It seems to be a worthy reward for good work, not something that should require secrecy and skullduggery.

I don't know why a lot of people do what they do, but Microsoft does try to obligate their wishes, but I'm always up for a little skulldugger

Blake

--
Vendor: Author of Link Logger which is a traffic analysis and firewall logging tool

hayc59
Im Your Huckleberry
Premium
join:2001-02-26
David R.I.P.
kudos:21

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore

said by DownTheShore:

Pardon my confusion, but what's such a big deal about the MVP award that people would want it to be secret? Are they ashamed of being named? Are they awarded a million dollars and are afraid of being robbed? Are they afraid that they are going to be kidnapped by tech terrorists and forced to build a computer that will take over the world?

Its something so cool you want to share it and very rewarding
I personally have not run into anyone that wants to keep it a secret
the cash is rather over whelming
--
ãrê ¥Øu êxpêriêncêD
Microsoft® MVP Consumer Security
"Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends."
9/11/01 Never Forget
(H59 Clan)

pieter arntz

join:2002-02-26
Netherlands

4 recommendations

Even if I wanted to, I couldn't keep a secret for 10 years.
--
Metallica rulez

Cudni
La Merma - Vigilado
Premium,MVM
join:2003-12-20
Someshire
kudos:13

1 recommendation

reply to hayc59

Congratulations on a well deserved award

Cudni

Snowy
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Kailua, HI
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Clearwire Wireless
·Time Warner Cable

1 recommendation

reply to DownTheShore

said by DownTheShore:

Pardon my confusion, but what's such a big deal about the MVP award that people would want it to be secret?

For some, it's not about keeping the award secret but about keeping the PII behind the award a secret, especially in the security arena where enemies with a wide reach do materialize.
said by DownTheShore:

Are they ashamed of being named?

Not shame, just a real concern over physical safety.

said by DownTheShore:

Are they afraid that they are going to be kidnapped by tech terrorists and forced to build a computer that will take over the world?

Humor noted.
said by DownTheShore:

+1

Littlem129
Premium
join:2007-05-13
White Pine, TN
reply to hayc59

Congratulations to all the winners!!!

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Steve

Does this site still award MVMs or has this stopped?...
If BBR does, is it announced?

planet

join:2001-11-05
Oz
kudos:1
reply to hayc59

Congratulations MVP people!! So glad you are on our side.

goretsky

Colorado Springs, CO

1 recommendation

reply to hayc59

Hello,

Thank you.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

dp
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-08
Greensburg, PA
kudos:7

1 recommendation

reply to hayc59

No secrets here, thank you

TheJoker
Premium,VIP,MVM
join:2001-04-26
Charlottesville, VA
kudos:5
reply to hayc59

Congratulations to all, well done!!

goretsky

Colorado Springs, CO

3 recommendations

reply to DownTheShore

Hello,

In some parts of the world, it is considered poor form to announce that one received such an award because it is considered bragging (at the same time, it is okay for parents or older relatives to announce such things).

There are also other cultures, where an employee is expected to give 100% of their productive time to their employer, and outside activities are frowned upon unless they are in a completely different sphere from one's employment.

Example: If someone was a fireman and received an MVP Award, it would be okay with their employer because that person probably did not spend all their time working on computers for their employer. On the other hand, if they were employed as a programmer, system administrator or other developer or IT-related activity, it would be mean they were not focused fully on the success of their employer, and would be considered a negative.

There is also the case where an employer might frown on an employee being awarded for other reasons. See the following article from Ars Technica for an example of that: Google tells employee: you can no longer be a Microsoft MVP. As someone whose day job is at a competitor to Microsoft, I am somewhat sympathetic to Google's position, however, my employer also cooperates with Microsoft (and, for that matter, Google) and my receiving the award benefits not just Microsoft and myself, but my employer as well, who gains from having the additional expertise on staff. I really think that Google's decision in that case was a poor one.

In my case, I am happy to be recognized and re-awarded by Microsoft; like Corrine, I am a big proponent of paying it forward and this comes as a validation that I have done things which are genuinely useful and helpful to my fellow computer users.

By the way, I work in the security field (even though my MVP Awards have been in sister fields, networking and operating systems) and, in this field, one does deal with criminals and their actions in a very real-world fashion: In 2011, a colleague of mine had his son kidnapped and another had his daughter returned in 2010 after being held for five years.

Anyways, I hope this answers your questions.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

said by DownTheShore: