All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
doubleohwhat
join:2008-10-25
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat to Craiger

to Craiger

Re: Combine The ONT, NID and RG Into One Unit?

Honestly, for a lot of different reasons, I just don't see AT&T offering a solution with all of the equipment in a single unit on the side of the house. At the very least, you're going to need a box indoors for the wireless AP. Also the set-top boxes can connect to the iNID via HPNA over coax just like the i38HG.

I think the next hardware option we'll see will be an indoor RG that offers the same pair bonding feature that the iNID currently offers.
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

An all in one inside unit would be cool and get rid of the outside unit. Homeowners probably wouldn't want ethernet cables running around and up the sides of their home from an all in one outside unit.
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

1 edit

doubleohwhat

I'm curious, is there a reason an indoor RG or an iNID with the indoor i38HG won't meet your needs? To my knowledge PACE doesn't offer a device like the one you're describing and I don't see them developing one while their current products meet the requirements for most installs. Like I mentioned above, I believe the next piece of hardware we'll see AT&T offering is an indoor RG that supports pair bonding. The iNID seems to be hated by most techs and the only way AT&T is going to achieve their plans for faster speeds is with pair bonding (I'm not buying the crap about vectoring being the magical solution).
Craiger
join:2012-07-05
Chesterfield, MO

Craiger

You answered my questions, thanks.
doubleohwhat
Birmingham, AL

doubleohwhat

said by Craiger:

An all in one inside unit would be cool and get rid of the outside unit.

Erm, exactly what unit is outside on non-iNID installs? The NID is usually just a dumb plastic box where the drop terminates.