spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

houdinitrick

@torland.is

Questions about fusion and the mandatory modem rental

If I decide to upgrade from DSL to fusion, would I need a new modem?

If not, would I be forced to pay the mandatory modem rental fee I've heard about? I believe new Sonic.net customers have to pay the fee, but if I am an existing Sonic.net customer (albeit not fusion customer), does that change anything?

leibold
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-09
Sunnyvale, CA
kudos:10
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by houdinitrick :

Depends on what modem you have currently and which Fusion service (single line or dual line bonded) you are getting.

If your existing modem supports ADSL2+ it will probably work for single line Fusion service. You will definitely need a new modem for bonded (dual line) Fusion service.

I don't know about the rest of your questions. Probably only Sonic can give you a definite answer for those.
--
Got some spare cpu cycles ? Join Team Helix or Team Starfire!

elray

join:2000-12-16
Santa Monica, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
·EarthLink
reply to houdinitrick

said by houdinitrick :

If not, would I be forced to pay the mandatory modem rental fee I've heard about? I believe new Sonic.net customers have to pay the fee, but if I am an existing Sonic.net customer (albeit not fusion customer), does that change anything?

I was told by support that they will waive the modem rental charge if you phone in your order, but not if you place it online.

CCNnorthcali

join:2004-03-07
San Francisco, CA
reply to houdinitrick

I've actually not heard of the fee getting waived... YMMV

DaneJasper
Sonic.Net
Premium,VIP
join:2001-08-20
Santa Rosa, CA
kudos:9
reply to elray

said by elray:

I was told by support that they will waive the modem rental charge if you phone in your order, but not if you place it online.

No, this is not accurate. Ordering by phone or online is the same - for now at least, modem rental is mandatory.

-Dane Jasper

public

join:2002-01-19
Santa Clara, CA

said by DaneJasper:

- for now at least, modem rental is mandatory.

-Dane Jasper

In other words a renamed price increase.