spc
Search similar:

uniqs
MysticGuitar
join:2012-04-12
Waterdown, ON

MysticGuitar

[INTERNET] Dropouts?

Just did a speed test on Testmy.net, and it seems as though my internet drops out every so often during the test.

Here are my results.

Download - »puu.sh/1JFVJ

Upload - »puu.sh/1JFUt

Shouldn't the speed be a tad more consistent, or are these results normal?
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar

Here's the Speedtest.net result.

A friend introduced me to Testmy.net a day or two ago, and said how it was more accurate than speedtest.net, as it provides a more 'real world' testing background, versus the flash testing of Speedtest.net.

Is this true? Is Testmy.net more accurate?
MysticGuitar

MysticGuitar

Would really like a reply. Rather curious as to if I can actually trust the speeds shown on Testmy.net, and if I can, does that mean that those are my actual download / upload speeds?
rudeboy24
join:2002-10-14
Welland, ON

rudeboy24

It looks like they only have server in the US and Europe, so i would say speedtest.net would be better because they have servers in Toronto witch would be less hops and less chance of getting congestion or packet loss along the route. Your most likely not going to get full speed if the server is far far away. the best speed test would be 1 hop just outside your ISP, all you need to test is your speed to the internet not across the internet.

Cogeco_Aaron
Premium Member
join:2011-07-11

Cogeco_Aaron to MysticGuitar

Premium Member

to MysticGuitar
rudeboy24 See Profile is right. If you test at a US or Europe server, there are many hops which could be causing the problem, which would be outside of Cogeco control.

Testing at speedtest.net at a local server will give you a much more accurate reading of the speed of your connection to the internet.