uniqs
billdz
join:2012-12-22
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

Re: [Home Network] Motorola NVG510 installed, Slingbox won't con

Click for full size
Click for full size
Hello again folks, hope you have not forgotten me, I still can't get this Slingbox working. Same situation as my last post, the Slingbox is set to .103, and it works remotely whenever NAT/Gaming shows it on .103, but often the router changes it to .72 or .104 or something else other than .103, and then remote viewing is impossible.

I have done many Google searches but no working solution has been found. It was suggested in some articles that the problem could be solved by setting up a "DMZ" via the IP Passthrough router settings. I'm not familiar with DMZs, if this seems a possible solution please check my screenshot above of the IP Passthrough screen and let me know how to configure. It was also suggested that a "Public Subnet" or a "Cascaded Router" might be set. These terms are also unknown to me, if either may be helpful please check the above screenshot of the Subnets & DHCP screen of the router GUI, and let me know how to configure.

I'm also wondering if it would do any good to call AT&T to demand a different router, if the NVG510 can't do the job.

By the way, I tried again setting the Slingbox to an IP address outside the DHCP range, as suggested earlier, but once again in NAT/Gaming the router GUI failed to show this address in the "Needed by Device" drop down box.

Thank you for any further advice or ideas,
b

ILpt4U
Premium Member
join:2006-11-12
Saint Louis, MO
ARRIS TM822
Asus RT-N66

ILpt4U

Premium Member

You could try getting the Motorola 2210 (black model version) and use your own router - the 2210 is basically the "modem only" IPDSLAM internet only device. They are usually found available from 3rd parties such as eBay or Craigslist. And another user in another thread posted the latest 2210 firmware, so if it needs the current firmware that is available as well
billdz
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

Thanks for the reply. I see the 2210 is available on eBay for just $10 shipped. That would surely be the easiest way out of my problem and I'll probably end up buying it. Although at this point it is more like a game, a puzzle that needs to be solved, how to make Slingbox work with this router? Maybe not possible.

Is there any hope for the DMZ or Public Subnet mentioned above?

brookeKrige
join:2012-11-05
San Jose, CA

brookeKrige

Can you (temporarily) partially test slingbox direct wired into NVG510?: Only to verify: does its DHCP assignment stabilize (by eliminating the Buffalo)?

You avoided re-config of the Buffalo, by setup of the NVG510 wireless network to same SSID and pass-key as Westell had?

What kind of service before Uverse (also the Buffalo still, but with Westell instead of NVG510)? If it was PPPoE based, presume that PPPoE account (and its smaller, non-1500 MTU) was configured within the Westell (not in the Buffalo's config, does Buffalo have its own non-auto MTU, or DHCP settings)?

I'd be wary of spending more money on HW with risk of no success. Is NVG510 802.11g only (not n)? Borrow someone's old wireless router to try a DMZ setup. Most posts would be about using DMZ+ in 2wire RGs, you'd have to make some adjustments for NVG510 instead.

To put 2nd router in NVG510's pseudo-DMZ, I'd want a combination of those Default-Server and Passthrough allocation-mode descriptions (so it gets virtually all traffic, plus gets the same external IP as NVG510); perhaps Passthrough includes the "all traffic" part.
billdz
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

Knock on wood, I think I've got it fixed. At least it has been working for 3 days now. And it was so simple. Just go to the router GUI and click on Firewall > IP Passthrough > set Allocation Mode to Default Server > enter the Slingbox IP address in the Default Server Internal Address box > click Save. In other words, the top screen shot 4 posts up but with Allocation Mode on Default Server instead of Off. Note that when Allocation Mode is set to Default Server, the remaining boxes are greyed out and need not and cannot be touched.

I'm not sure why this works (maybe someone can explain?) but so far, so good.

Thanks to all,
b

Forosnai
join:2011-09-30

Forosnai

Because you flat out forwarded all ports to the Slingbox.
The NVG510 can blindly "pass through" said traffic to a static IP, but it can only Nat specific ports to a LAN device that it has assigned a local IP to via DHCP. If you want the Slingbox to show up in the "needed by device" list so that you can forward only the specific ports, you would have to remove the manual/static settings from the Slingbox.
billdz
Fort Lauderdale, FL

billdz

Thanks for the reply. Can any harm result from forwarding all ports to the Slingbox, as I have done? Could not get it working any other way.

Regards,
b