share rss forum feed

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
reply to danawhitaker

Re: Sony patents way to block used games

said by danawhitaker:

said by TherapyChick:

I heard the Xbox was going this direction as well.

So if they both go this route, those of you who are refusing to buy this type of console, what are you going to do?

Figure MS and Sony don't make a dime on used games, so can't blame them from a business perspective on trying to figure out how to make the most profit. Not that I'd be happy with it, but makes some sense from business.

Especially if they both know the other is doing it, gives them more leverage. Is everyone going to switch to the Wii?

Why is there this assumption that people can only enjoy one console at a time? I have a 360, a Wii U, and I'd have a PS3 right now if I could justify the price. If they went this route, I'd quit console gaming (with any company that chose that route). They maybe don't make money directly off second-hand sales, but I have my doubts they *lose* money either - like I said in my previous post, a second hand sale is not 100% proof the person would have paid full price for your game. I'd argue the used market for games has ended up increasing the sales of the consoles as a whole, because it makes the buy-in price less steep than $250 + $50-60 per game.

Walk into any thrift store, and it's full of second-hand goods. I don't see the Gap trying to ban people from buying second hand Gap clothing at Goodwill. This is a "problem" (and I use that term sarcastically) that plagues almost every industry that produces goods for the end-user. There's second hand books, second hand clothes, second hand CARS (imagine Toyota trying to prevent people from reselling their cars), CDs, movies, board games, toys, dishes...see where this is going? What makes the video game industry think they're so special they need to prevent a second hand market from existing?

Good points about other industry second hand "problems", the only argument I'd make against it though is if the Gap or bookstores actually had the technology to somehow make it so you couldn't re-sell their shirts, maybe they would. The thing with consoles is that these companies CAN make it happen. And getting back to books, with the way Kindle, iBooks, and other online books are going they can and do sometimes prevent you from reselling a book you buy.

And as far as reselling games go, have you ever bought a game that you simply downloaded vs buying the physical disc? If so, you obviously can't resell that now anyway.

So instead of making it so you can't play used game discs, maybe in the near future they'll make it so games are download-only, or maybe bought at a discount if downloaded and then you can't resell them anyway.

And I don't believe in my previous post I made an assumption that people can only enjoy one console at a time, not sure where that came from but that certainly wasn't my intention to imply that.
--
Therapy Chicks

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
I do admit, I have bought some digital versions of games instead of getting the physical discs. But those are games (World of Warcraft: Catalcysm, WoW: Mists of Pandaria, and Diablo III) that are tied directly to an account anyway. That's standard for MMORPGs whether you buy the physical disc or not, and Diablo III I actually got for free. I've also purchased some digital versions of Angry Birds and the like for PC and for my daughter's iPod Touch. But I guess for me, it's not about being able to turn around and resell them when I get bored. It's about the fact that I enjoy the buying aspect of the used games. Sometimes I like going into Gamestop and just browsing around and seeing what I can find a bargain on. In some cases, it's impossible to find some games brand new for the 360, simply because they've been on the market so long.

Actually, my dream job would be to have my own game store, and since second hand sales would inevitably be a large part of that business, this is something that concerns me and that I'm passionate about. I worry then that they'd start crossing the line into finding a way to prohibit second-hand hardware sales too. I see it as a slippery slope.

You're probably correct though, in that many industries would love to have the ability to prevent second-hand sales but just don't have the capability. This is one reason I'm hesitant to embrace pure digital in any format, be it music, video, books, or games. I have tons of physical books that I have no desire to repurchase, and about 500 music CDs, and a few dozen seasons of various TV shows.

Part of me is a bit surprised that the latest generation of consoles hadn't moved to a system of a key being required to be attached to a Live or PSN or Nintendo account already, which really wouldn't require any special patenting on their part - it's a system that PC games have used for years. Somewhere in the back of my mind I swear there was a console game that did use a key system of some sort, but I'm having trouble remembering which one it was or if it even exists.

Edit: Phantasy Star Online for Dreamcast had something like that. Knew I wasn't crazy.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to TherapyChick
quote:
So instead of making it so you can't play used game discs, maybe in the near future they'll make it so games are download-only, or maybe bought at a discount if downloaded and then you can't resell them anyway.

One idea on disk based games. You have to enter the code on the disk jacket to play the game. If the code has been used, then you can purchase a new code for 5, 10 bucks [what ever the publisher sets as the price]. Then you get a new code.
So if you buy a collectors edition of the game from a used store, you can get a news code that will unlock all the features that came with that game when it was brand new.
But that was an idea I read about awhile ago. If I recall, EA required me to log into my EA account when I played Mass Effect 3 on my PS3. Supposedly so i can track my progress against others, and what not. But I could see that log in being used to check and see if the disk was new or used.
And it wouldn't surprise me if EA was the first one to do that. Offer new keys for used games.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

Snakeoil
Ignore Button. The coward's feature.
Premium
join:2000-08-05
Mentor, OH
kudos:1
reply to danawhitaker
quote:
This is one reason I'm hesitant to embrace pure digital in any format, be it music, video, books, or games. I have tons of physical books that I have no desire to repurchase, and about 500 music CDs, and a few dozen seasons of various TV shows.

That is the biggest problem with digital media. Buy an Ipad app, then you get an Android device and have to repurchase that app at full price.
I had a friend that was going to buy music in the google play store for their droid device. Many of the songs he had already paid for on Itunes. I had to show him how to copy them from Itunes to his droid device.
But that only applies to music and movies. I made the mistake of using Ibooks on my Ipad and purchased a few ebooks. I had no idea at the time that it Ibooks would be limited to just Apple products. Once I learned that, I switched to the Nook app and have since purchased all my ebooks from Barnes and Noble. I'll also use the kindle app. No idea why apple won't make Ibooks cross platform. They made itunes and safari cross platform.
--
Is a person a failure for doing nothing? Or is he a failure for trying, and not succeeding at what he is attempting to do? What did you fail at today?.

TherapyChick

join:2003-09-19
Fayetteville, NC
reply to danawhitaker
I was really just being more of a devil's advocate on the issue, personally I RARELY purchase a new game at the full $50/$60 price tag (exceptions are Bioshock, Mass Effect, Borderlands, and a few others), but for the most part I get games used for $20 or less or borrow them from friends for free.

If they'd drop the price of a new big hit game to $25/$35 then I'd consider buying it as a digital download. On those few games I do purchase at "full price", I do so knowing I can resell them soon for $30 or so.
--
Therapy Chicks