page: 1 · 2 · next
This is a sub-selection from GM recalling pickups and SUVs

Last Parade
join:2002-10-07
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to vue666

to vue666

Re: GM recalling pickups and SUVs

I always use my parking brake. That would prevent this too.
vue666 (banned)
Let's make Canchat better!!!
join:2007-12-07

vue666 (banned)

Very wise. You'd be surprised how many people rely soley on putting the vehicle into park...

Still GM was wise to do a recall..

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

Which in turn takes the strain off the parking pawl, which can fail even at the best of times if it is the only means of securing the vehicle. Everyone should use the parking break, but few ever do.

Kardinal
Dei Gratina Regina
Mod
join:2001-02-04
N of 49th

Kardinal

Mod

said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

Which in turn takes the strain off the parking pawl, which can fail even at the best of times if it is the only means of securing the vehicle. Everyone should use the parking break, but few ever do.

"Why would I need to use the parking brake; doesn't putting it in "P" lock the brakes to keep the car from moving?" (question from driver's ed class in high school, back in the day. I'm serious.)

Over the years, I've lost count of the number of times I've heard that ugly CLUNK as a car parked on an incline is taken out of "Park". I know transmissions are pretty tough these days, but it's just stupid to put that sort of strain on them.

Technical question, if anyone knows: in the modern single- or dual-clutch automated manual that is becoming increasingly popular, how does the parking pawl work in the gearbox (since it's not a classic automatic but a manual without a foot clutch)?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

My driveway has a hill, so I always use the parking break. I cringe when I get into my mother's car when she visits and I hear that clunk when I need to move her car.

BMW, VW and a few others use electronic parking brakes. When the car is in P the parking brake is electronically activated and when it's taken out of P the parking brake is disengaged.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to Gone

to Gone
said by Gone:

said by Last Parade:

Correct. In fact, one can ease the strain on the parking pawl in the transmission by applying the parking brake first, then shifting into P, thereby letting the rear brakes do most of the work.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

said by Last Parade:

In fact, one can ease the strain on the parking pawl in the transmission by applying the parking brake first, then shifting into P, thereby letting the rear brakes do most of the work.

... which is exactly what I do. When you engage the parking brake first you won't hear a thud when you put the car into park and the car won't move a few inches when you take your foot off the brake.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

all this talk of parking brakes, makes me think i should start using mine...hmmmm.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Not using your emergency brake on a regular basis can result in the emergency brake cables seizing...

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by vue666:

Not using your emergency brake on a regular basis can result in the emergency brake cables seizing...

When I was buying my (used) 2004 Colorado with just over 200,000 km, I tested the e-brake on the lot when I was done. It hesitantly went right to the floor and wouldn't come back up. The truck would not move after that. The cables were rusted and seized -- it had never been used.

A couple days later I saw the dealer reduced the price, and went in for the kill. A couple was checking it out, and I reminded the salesman about what I did to the e-brake. He said.. "oh yeah... forgot about that". Needless to say, the couple could not test drive the truck, they left, and I bought the vehicle knowing that I'd be in for a challenge. No problem as I got it for $5000 and I knew what else was wrong with it anyway.

The salesman hit the rears with some lubricant and one of the sides freed up a little but it was still very hesitant to move. I managed to get it down to a recommended mechanic a few km away, who had to replace every single piece of e-brake mechanics from the rear drums to the pedal; they were all fried.

After I put a whole summer's work into the truck to make it virtually like-new (including redoing the front brakes, which are notoriously terrible and notoriously hard to change on this truck), I set the e-brake every single time I park.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

When you engage the parking brake first you won't hear a thud when you put the car into park and the car won't move a few inches when you take your foot off the brake.
[/BQUOTE
The procedure I normally do is keep my foot on the brakes pedal, shift into park, set the parking brake then release the brake pedal.

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

If you engage the parking brake before putting the car into park, it'll put less stress on the pawl.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
when i sold my Taurus earlier this year, the people who came to look at it brought a friend with them who knew about cars...i pulled it out of the garage and started it for them so they could hear the engine (etc) and see all the lights working...without asking first, the friend gets in, and rams the emergency brake pedal to the floor...my heart fluttered a bit as i never use it, and i told him i wished he had asked me first before doing that, as it is possible it might be stuck there now...he hit the release lever and it came back up...i suppose that is one advantage of doing the "recommended" maintenance on the car (rather than the simple oil change, some places do some brake maintenance and lubricate things as well, for a little more money)...fortunately, disaster was averted, but i wasn't too happy when he did that.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

On occasion in the winter I've had the emerg brake freeze on overnight. This can happen when during the day it is mild and wet, then the temperature drops to below freezing overnight. It hasn't happened all the frequently but has happened...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

I've had that happen as well and it's a little unnerving if you don't know what's going on.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade to dirtyjeffer0

to dirtyjeffer0
said by dirtyjeffer0:

, disaster was averted, but i wasn't too happy when he did that.

was he advised there was a normal functioning part of your car not functioning? Not really his fault.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

1 recommendation

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

no, but it is common knowledge (especially for a "car guy") to know that emergency brakes on automatic transmission equipped cars are not usually used...when buying a used car, and needing to certify it, it is likely something that may need to be fixed for the safety.

Last Parade
Port Colborne, ON

Last Parade

said by dirtyjeffer0:

no, but it is common knowledge (especially for a "car guy") to know that emergency brakes on automatic transmission equipped cars are not usually used...when buying a used car, and needing to certify it, it is likely something that may need to be fixed for the safety.

meh, excuses. I don't leave shit on my cars in a broken state.
mr weather
Premium Member
join:2002-02-27
Mississauga, ON

1 recommendation

mr weather to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
said by Gone:

If you engage the parking brake before putting the car into park, it'll put less stress on the pawl.

My foot remains on the brake pedal during the whole procedure so there wouldn't be any stress on the parking pawl.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

I've had a few mates with standard tranys had their car roll on them... Parked on a grade, let the car in 1st gear with no emerg brake on. Car pops out of gear and rolls... No serious damage other then rolling into the car parked in front with some bumper/fender damage...

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to mr weather

Premium Member

to mr weather
said by mr weather:

My foot remains on the brake pedal during the whole procedure so there wouldn't be any stress on the parking pawl.

I've heard otherwise, but when I think about it I can't think of any reason why the way you do it would be any more stressful. Maybe it doesn't matter? Who knows. All that matters is that the pawl isn't the sole source holding your car I guess.
Gone

Gone to vue666

Premium Member

to vue666
said by vue666:

I've had a few mates with standard tranys had their car roll on them... Parked on a grade, let the car in 1st gear with no emerg brake on. Car pops out of gear and rolls... No serious damage other then rolling into the car parked in front with some bumper/fender damage...

When I was six or seven I was with my uncle and he needed to run into a corner store. I waited in the car. As I'm waiting, it rolled backwards a few feet before he got back into the car and realized he forgot to set the parking brake.
vue666 (banned)

vue666 (banned)

Close call...

Was it a standard shift?

Gone
Premium Member
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

Yup. Golf Diesel before they were TDIs. Shook like San Francisco in 1906.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to Last Parade

Premium Member

to Last Parade
said by Last Parade:

in case you haven't been reading, it wasn't broken...i just never used it.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Last Parade:

chicken and egg

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

said by peterboro:

said by dirtyjeffer0:

said by Last Parade:

chicken and egg

the reality is, when i was bringing it for service, it was being serviced as a maintenance item...if it weren't, surely it wouldn't have worked...therefore, i don't "leave shit on my cars in a broken state".
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned)

said by dirtyjeffer0:

the reality is, when i was bringing it for service, it was being serviced as a maintenance item...if it weren't, surely it wouldn't have worked...therefore, i don't "leave shit on my cars in a broken state".

1. Did you learn anything from this?

2. There is no maintenance for e-brakes other than using them or removing them to administer lubricants.

dirtyjeffer0
Premium Member
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0

Premium Member

i should start using the ebrake on my Kia, just to be sure it continues to work...to be honest, i've never used an ebrake on any of the automatic transmission cars i have owned over the decades and it has never been an issue.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Gone

Premium Member

to Gone
My driveway is an incline and I use my parking brake all the time. Part of that is from driving standard for so many years.