share rss forum feed

Dunlop

join:2011-07-13
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Bell Fibe

2 edits

Bringing your own modem

I'm moving over to the evil empire that is Bell with Fibe TV.

In doing so I have to take their craptastic internet (75GB cap). I was going to bump it up but then I noticed the 5/1 300GB plan for $25 which is pretty interesting as I have kids and a wife who are Netflixaholics.

I am currently with ElectronicBox which I will unfortunately have to cancel. Once that is done:

- Can I use the modem (Thompson 475)
- Is it REALLY $85 to connect ; (
- Because I am already wired can I get an installation done without having to wait home for a Videotron Tech who will show up and look at me puzzled as to WTF he was doing there as occured when my Electonic Box was installed?

edit: just noticed that the Thompson DCM 475 is not listed as supported?!?! I'm on Videotron's network with it right now

TSI Taunia
Premium
join:2012-11-22
Chatham, ON
Hello,

We would have to send the technician out as it is a requirement, and the $85.00 is for Teksavvy to activate our service on the line.
Unfortunately the Dcm475 will only work with our 15mbps & 30mbps package.

If you would like to message us in »TekSavvy Direct with your address, we can qualify your location to make sure our cable internet is available.

Thank you,
Taunia

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
said by TSI Taunia:

Hello,

We would have to send the technician out as it is a requirement, and the $85.00 is for Teksavvy to activate our service on the line.

If you would like to message us in »TekSavvy Direct with your address, we can qualify your location to make sure our cable internet is available.

Thank you,
Taunia

Out of curiosity how does start offer a free transfer? are they eating the install fee?

TSI Jonathan
Premium
join:2011-08-24
canada
kudos:10

1 edit
said by AOD:

said by TSI Taunia:

Hello,

Thank you,
Taunia

Out of curiosity how does start offer a free transfer? are they eating the install fee?

Unfortunately no one here would be able to answer this one, good question to ask start . TekSavvy has opted for the one time activation fee as our customers have asked for complete transparency when it comes to activation fees. Instead of adding it into the monthly cost we decided to go with the upfront fee.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--
Social Media Relations Team Leader
Authorized TSI employee - Teksavvy Solutions Inc.

TSI Taunia
Premium
Chatham, ON
reply to AOD
Hello,

I do apologize but I am unfamiliar with Start's policies and procedures.

Thanks,
Taunia

Dunlop

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to TSI Taunia
Thanks for the quick reply. I'm currently connected via ElectronicBox Cable and previous had Videotron Cable internet so that is not a concern.

When I had Ebox installed the Videotron technician just stared blankly because all my wiring was already done. WHen my friend had Electonic Box installed a tech did not even visit becasue the wiring was done as well

Is it because you are not allowed using a Docsis 3 modem at lower speeds?

Anywhoo no big whoop, it was getting a little complicated

The Mongoose

join:2010-01-05
Toronto, ON
reply to TSI Taunia
said by TSI Taunia:

Hello,

Thank you,
Taunia

Wait, what? Why would the DCM475 not work with a slower cable package? Is this something Videotron has decreed?

dsl

join:2012-02-02
I was wondering the same as well, but in the post I created, TSIElizabeth said it was o.k.

»[Cable] modem on videotron land?

d4m1r

join:2011-08-25
reply to Dunlop
Apparently, you cannot use DOCSIS 3 models on DOCSIS 2 plans on the Videotron network...This has been brought up before.
--
www.613websites.com Budget Canadian Web Design and Hosting

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
Hello,

So to clear this whole debate.

You can use a Docsis 3 modem on any tier for Videotron. You can only use a Docsis 2 modem on 5 & 8 meg plans.

Regards,
Martin

Montreal DSL

join:2011-02-02
Montreal-DSL
Hi Martin,

Are you 100% sure?

I had 2 customers who want to have 5M vcable with D3 modems refused by Videotron.

Now I tell all cx that 5M is only with D2, 8M with both D2 and D3 and 20M and 30M only with D3.

Thanks,

TSI Martin
Premium
join:2006-02-23
Chatham, ON
kudos:33
I was told yes, but what I've done is requested a written confirmation by Videotron. Once I have the results I'll comeback & update.

FEDO

join:2011-03-26
Canada
reply to Dunlop
Vtron is little bit different than Rogers when it comes to provisioning modems. As far as I can remember Vtron will refuse DOCSIS 3 modems on 5mbps and 8mbps... Only DOCSIS 2 modems will be allowed.

Greetings to you Martin!

Mofeed

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
reply to TSI Martin
Just to confirm as we receive the written confirmation back from Videotron this morning. The DCM475 is approved to be used on the basic (intermédiaire) and high speed (Haute vitesse) internet services. We will be updating our website shortly to reflect that as well.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to Dunlop
said by Dunlop:

I was going to bump it up but then I noticed the 5/1 300GB plan for $25 which is pretty interesting as I have kids and a wife who are Netflixaholics.

I feel bad for you. That's pretty hurten.

Dunlop

Reviews:
·Bell Fibe
reply to TSI Jonathan
said by TSI Jonathan:

Just to confirm as we receive the written confirmation back from Videotron this morning. The DCM475 is approved to be used on the basic (intermédiaire) and high speed (Haute vitesse) internet services. We will be updating our website shortly to reflect that as well.

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan

Sweet, expect a call from me soon

How about waiving my connection fee as I was instrumental in updating your polices :P

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
Haha, How about a big great thank you from TSI for helping us in reviewing the authorized modem list

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--

dsl

join:2012-02-02
TSI received written confirmation back from Videotron, that's great news.

Although,

1) TSI's website not updated with approved modem yet
2) Any customers ordered lower tiers with in Quebec confirms that DCM-475 allowed?

That's because Videotron can turn around and say DCM-475 not allowed on low tiers.
(a case of right hand doesn't talk to left hand)

TSI Jonathan
Premium
canada
Were are currently waiting on our forms to be updated so that our website can then be updated. We want our forms to be reflecting that the DCM-475 is an approved modem first so that it can be selected and then the website will be updated shortly afterwards.

A communication will then be sent out to the contact center so that if in a case where Videotron comes back saying it is not allowed, we have the written confirmation in our records to send back to them saying they have confirmed this on such date and time. It's in the process and should be all taken cared of shortly

Cheers,

TSI Jonathan
--

Dunlop

Do I need to wait until it is on the site to order?

Also do you have any type of bundling with Tektalk? I'm about to move my line over to VOIP.MS but a bundle might make the pot sweeter with you guys ; )

TSI Taunia
Premium
Chatham, ON
We don't currently have any bundles with internet and Tektalk at this time.

Thanks,

TSI Keith
Premium
join:2012-07-09
kudos:5

1 edit
reply to Dunlop
There are numbers off the modem that we would need to put into the order (The MAC ID and Customer S/N) so yes, you'd need to have the modem already when placing the order.

Regards,
Keith
--
TSI Keith (E-Services) - TekSavvy Solutions Inc.
Authorized TSI employee ( »TekSavvy FAQ »Official support in the forum )