Embrace Your Rights
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Cincinnati, OH

hitachi369 to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5

Re: Whiskey Tango Foxtrot 2013

Not to be a gloomy guss, but do you have flood insurance?

Jon5
Premium Member
join:2001-01-20
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

said by hitachi369:

We don't have flood but we did get water backup last year so I think we're good. I'm sure they'll try and screw us anyway but I'll take that up with our agent if need be.

Warzau
Premium Member
join:2000-10-26
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

Is it possible the water is coming from the sewer line? Do you have a backflow prevent-er on it?

If this is for moi, yes 9 years ago, the builder HAD to put it in the day before closing since Naperville just required it on new building. I might have to review it again when eveything dries out.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
join:2002-10-08
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

said by SuperNet:

Sorry Jon,

That sucks!

I hope my place won't flood, I think I have a failing sump pump.

»Sump Pump question, Help!

Watch the video... I wonder what that sound is at 29 seconds.

Dude don't try and figure it out. When in doubt, swap it out.

I agree, but I am sure every where is sold out right now :\

If I can help you Jon, let me know.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Well supply and demand, much akin to trying to buy a snowblower during a blizzard.

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by Warzau:

Well supply and demand, much akin to trying to buy a snowblower during a blizzard.

I agree, but my sump pump is only 8 months old and rarely runs... So 1st heard an issue was yesterday around 7pm and couldn't do much about it.. I just hope and pray it works until i can replace it.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
said by Jon5:

said by hitachi369:

We don't have flood but we did get water backup last year so I think we're good. I'm sure they'll try and screw us anyway but I'll take that up with our agent if need be.

Well I guess if you can show it did come up from the drain I don't see how they would try to wiggle out of it.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Jon5 to Dennis

Premium Member

to Dennis
said by Dennis:

NOOOOOO! Wish I lived closer, I could keep it in mine for you. That's bullsh*t.

Or you could have just helped me drink it really quick. It's only a corny of Two brothers Outlaw. On the up-side I now have a swim up bar like in Vegas!

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Good thing you have a positive view I would be freaking out.
Warzau

Warzau to adamtech78

Premium Member

to adamtech78
Great now the winds are starting to pick up.

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to Warzau

Mod

to Warzau
said by Warzau:

Me too and my basement isn't finished at all (aside from my ghetto office). Hope you got all the water out!

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Jon5 to Warzau

Premium Member

to Warzau
said by Warzau:

Well it is what it is. Not a whole hell of a lot I can do about it at this point. So I can either roll with it or go on a three state killing spree. Mostly pissed about my bar and my playstation. It's just stuff that we'll replace. It's just the inconvenience and work I'll have to do.

Yeah I'm having a shitty day but it could be worse. Could've been watching my wife cross the finish line at a marathon and had my legs blown off. So there's that.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

True, you put it all into perspective.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to adamtech78

MVM

to adamtech78
Be aware that they had to open the Chicago river locks. Be careful if you drink water from Lake Michigan.

Lurch77
Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5
This is nuts. I was in southern WI earlier this week and was amazed at how high over the banks all the rivers and creeks were. And that was before the 4 more inches of rain that predicted. I hope you can figure out how to handle this.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5

Premium Member

It is crazy. They actually said on the news this morning that my town (Lisle) was calling for people with boats to evacuate people. LOL. All the streets around me are closed/flooded out so you can't get anywhere even if you wanted too. Maybe I'll get one of those hovercraft kits.

This pump is a thirsty bastard BTW. Doing a good job though. Only about 2 inches of water left then I can get down there and asses.

Warzau
Premium Member
Naperville, IL

Warzau

Premium Member

Start drinking that keg don't let if die.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned) to Jon5

to Jon5
Whose asses are down there?

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

1 recommendation

Jon5

Premium Member

said by 67845017:

Whose asses are down there?

mostly the hookers that are buried down there.
67845017 (banned)
join:2000-12-17
Naperville, IL

1 recommendation

67845017 (banned)

Damn, life in the 'burbs. I need my allocation.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to adamtech78

MVM

to adamtech78
Now it's starting to snow!!

SuperNet
Go Ninja,Go Ninja Go..
Premium Member
Hoffman Estates, IL

SuperNet

Premium Member

said by andyross:

Now it's starting to snow!!

Crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

insomniac
Oh Yeah
Premium Member
join:2002-09-22
Naperville, IL

insomniac to adamtech78

Premium Member

to adamtech78
Jon, I feel your pain. Very sorry to see those pictures.

I woke up yesterday at 4am to the weather radio telling me about a flash flood warning. Then I very faintly heard my basement leak detectors going off. I had 3-4 inches of stormwater coming up my floor drain. I was scared shitless thinking my almost-new sump pump had failed, but it just couldn't keep up!

I plugged the drain with a heavy-duty plug the city gave me a while ago (wish I'd had the foresight to put it in the night before!), and then the sump spent all day catching up. I managed to keep the water away from the furnace and water heater, just barely. Washer and dryer took a little bit of water, but they've had water before and been fine after drying out. The basement is unfinished, and losses are minimal. We had a couple boxes of stuff on the floor, but almost everything important was sitting on workbenches or the pool table. The pool table legs are solid wood, so I think it'll be fine.

My street was fine. I live in one of the lowest points in the city, which was hit very badly by the flood of '96. There was no water on the street or on first floors of homes yesterday, only basements. The overflow went through a drainage swale behind my house and made a nearby street impassable. After one guy drove through it and stalled (requiring my neighbor and me to push him out), I spent much of the morning directing traffic, keeping people from driving through it even after the city had blocked it off. Every time somebody tried to drive through it in a big vehicle, it was sending water in my backyard and my neighbor's yard. The city came out with some cones, but no barricade, so I put on my reflective vest and kept people out until it went down to a reasonable level. Regardless, I witnessed some really rude behavior from drivers yesterday. Sorry, dude, the whole city's flooded - maybe you're just not going to get there today.

Now I just need to dry everything out. My dehumidifier had stopped working sometime in the last week, prior to this. Good thing I bought that 4-year warranty replacement from Abt -- called them today, they've got 'em in stock, and I just have to go do an exchange.

snipper_cr
Premium Member
join:2002-01-22
Wheaton, IL

snipper_cr to adamtech78

Premium Member

to adamtech78
Worked a flight in from Madison to Ohare and we just made it in before that nasty line of storms that moved in around 7AM. Awesome, made it back to ORD, home in about an hour. Made it to my car (fortunately employee lot not underwater) at 745. At that hour, I can make it home in 35-40 minutes.

1230 I make it to my parking lot.

So many closed streets.

Jon5
Premium Member
Lisle, IL

Jon5 to adamtech78

Premium Member

to adamtech78
Well here's an update. My entire basement is now in a dumpster. We had to get our furnace fixed. New blower and circuit board. $1200. We had a restoration team come in and do some work. $3800. And $350 for the dumpster plus other misc crap. all-in-all we're looking at about $7k for this mess. And that's just the clean up. Here's is what it looks like now.

Parneli
join:2004-12-28
Naperville, IL

Parneli

I don't have a finished basement (yet...ever?) anyway- I've always contemplated doing drywall for the top 3/4 of the wall and then like a chair rail/wainscoating for the bottom couple feet.

In my head I was picturing somehow that I'd be able to remove the wainscoating after a flood and then somehow reinstall after drying everything out.

Haven't given it too much consideration and it might be that it'd just end up getting thrown out anyway....

just an idea

hambonepat
join:2003-05-06
Chicago, IL

hambonepat

I would never finish a basement, I have seen and heard of too many horror stories. If I did I would use cement backerboard for the bottom 3 feet and tile.

cp
Premium Member
join:2004-05-14
Wheaton, IL

cp to Jon5

Premium Member

to Jon5

I'm so sorry Jon. Been through that before. God that sucks.

I live close by so if you need a hand with anything let me know.

andyross
MVM
Aurora, IL

andyross to adamtech78

MVM

to adamtech78
I wonder if the oil companies are using the weather as the excuse for the $0.20+ increase in gas prices over the past few days...
Expand your moderator at work
« Late Night Foods?2013 Chicago Bears thread - redux »
prev · 1 · 2 · 3 ... 7 · 8 · 9 · 10 · 11 · 12 · 13 ... 16 · 17 · 18 · next