Search similar:

uniqs
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

[FireFox] How do I get Fx to use Windows 8 chosen color?

Click for full size
Click for full size
Fx on XP Pro, Vista Ultimate, and Win 7 beta (only time I had Win 7) all use my chosen Windows color not just for the Active Title bar but for tabs vertical on the left side and the vertical scroll bar on the right. Fx on Windows 8 uses my chosen Windows color for the Active Title bar but uses an ugly pale gray for the tabs and hard to see pale gray for the right side scroll bar. Opera 12 uses my chosen Windows color for the tabs vertical on the left but it also uses the difficult to see pale gray vertical scroll bar on the right. I use Tree Style Tabs in Fx but I have always used that on other OSes also and I have my Windows color used on other OSes so Tree Style Tabs is not the reason for the pale gray background of the tabs inFx in Windows 8. The pale gray is particularly bad on Fx because the left side vertical scroll bar (put there by Tree Style Tabs) is very narrow and very difficult to see. If it was green that would be much better.

Is there a way to get Fx to use my Windows color for the tabs? Since Opera uses the color there should be a way to get Fx to do it. To get Opera to do it, I just set Opera to the default Standard theme which automatically uses Windows settings. Since all the browsers use that horrible to read, and depressing, light gray color for the right side vertical scroll bar in Windows 8 maybe that cannot be changed (except maybe with Classic Shell but I decided to try Start8 and I like it so I don't think I want to use Classic Shell to get the right side scroll bar a decent, readable color --it should be my custom Windows chosen color without needing a third party application, but if not possible in Win 8 at least the left side tabs in my Windows color is possible because Opera does it).

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

Install Tab Mix Plus and you can set the tabs to use that pea soup vomit green color you like.

Anything else you can find at MozillaZine.
Just look for Chrome tweaks.
Mele20
Premium Member
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI

Mele20

Premium Member

LOL....good thing you are not a local friend....you, unlike both friends and strangers here, would hate my home...most here love the seafoam green I use for accent color.

I am not sure why you would suggest a third party extension to fix Fx when I stated I did not want a third party solution...besides, I know you know that I would never give up Tree Style Tabs.

Fx has something very basic wrong with it if it refuses to use Windows colors just because it is running on Windows 8. If Opera developers had no problems with Opera on Windows 8, in regards to color, then I don't see why Mozilla developers would have a problem (and Sea Monkey has the problem also and it cannot use Tree Style Tabs but has the problem. On it though I can use multicolored tabs extension (which conflicts on Fx with Tree Style Tabs).

Grail Knight

Premium Member
join:2003-05-31
Valhalla

Grail Knight

Premium Member

I suggested the extension because that is the quickest way to change tab colors if you are not good at .css tweaking.

I have no problems with changing colors in Fx on Win8 because I took the time to hunt down or write .css to make changes.

Visit userStyles.org and look for Fx tweaks.

Before blaming Fx or Win8 I suggest you look for ways to change colors or contact the developer of the theme you use that hard coded in tab colors or failed to allow tabs to inherit Windows colors.