spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

noway1

join:2004-11-29

How Minimum Can I Get?

Was thinking of cancelling my Basic TV service altogether. Sick of getting ripped off with price increases way over the rate of inflation. Also the stupid logos on the bottom right of almost every station aren't plasma-friendly or artistic-content friendly. Next thing you know we'll be seeing a Nike logo on the top left and a Pepsi logo on the top right!

Can I cancel the basic cable and still use the digital box (which I own outright) to buy PPV or Rogers-On-Demand occasionally if I ever want to see something Rogers provides? (sorry I have to ask here but I hate even talking to them and hoping someone has already done this and can answer). I still will be using their cable internet. Cheers.

Hooter

join:2009-08-17
Scarborough, ON

Once you cancel cable, your digital box will be de-authorized by Rogers and will not work - period!

Epichappy

join:2012-05-14
Kitchener, ON
reply to noway1

You do still own the box but it won't work on the network, it may work on Comcast or another cable company if you are moving, however that is not for sure. You can always sell your box to someone else who has rogers or give it to family and they can reauthorize it on their account.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4

said by Epichappy:

You do still own the box but it won't work on the network, it may work on Comcast or another cable company if you are moving, however that is not for sure. You can always sell your box to someone else who has rogers or give it to family and they can reauthorize it on their account.

These boxes will not be accepted by any other cable company. But you can certainly sell it to another Rogers customer in Ontario.

noway1

join:2004-11-29
reply to noway1

Well that's not very good news. They should have one (free) tier just below Basic Cable called the "I'm Sick of Your Crap Packages and Your Price Increases and I Just Want the Box to Still Work In Case I Desperately Want PPV One Lonely Night" Plan. I guess I'm dreaming. That plan would probably be $30/month (TV Guide fees) + rentals.

Spike
Premium
join:2008-05-16
Toronto, ON

said by noway1:

Well that's not very good news. They should have one (free) tier just below Basic Cable called the "I'm Sick of Your Crap Packages and Your Price Increases and I Just Want the Box to Still Work In Case I Desperately Want PPV One Lonely Night" Plan. I guess I'm dreaming. That plan would probably be $30/month (TV Guide fees) + rentals.

Yeah, same goes with everyone. 90% of Basic Cable is drivel, would love to not even have any of it. All the SD channels need to go too if you never wanna watch them. You can mostly thank the CRTC and their "Must Carry" garbage.

Dustyn
Premium
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
kudos:11
reply to Epichappy

That's a shame.
I was hoping perhaps (let's say for example Shaw or Bell) could re-authorize these units on their own networks. Even if they use the same brand and model they still won't work with some kind of firmware update pushed through from their end?
--
Remember that cool hidden "Graffiti Wall" here on BBR? After the name change I became the "owner", so to speak as it became: Dustyn's Wall »[Serious] RIP

nekkidtruth
YISMM
Premium
join:2002-05-20
London, ON
kudos:2
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Rogers Hi-Speed
reply to noway1

I haven't had cable in just over a year. Recently, the other half has been whining (we've been together 6 months) that he wants cable. I said no. Lol. I pay Rogers $62/month for Internet. Anything you want to watch (almost anything) can easily be downloaded using either torrents or newsgroups. Failing that, there are numerous television networks who provide full episodes on their website.

He almost sucked me in with his whining, but then I did the math. He got a very rude awakening when I showed him.

I'll use the VIP cable package as it's the most popular package and resembles most of what I can download.

Rogers charges $71+ for the VIP package. That's roughly $855/year. Add my Internet at $62/month and we're looking at around $1600/year. That's absolutely retarded.

So let's see what I'm paying right now....

Rogers Internet: $744/year
Netflix: $95/year
Hulu Plus: $95/year
Cost of US DNS/IP/VPN services: $50/year

Anything not available on those 2 services can be downloaded using torrents or newsgroups or watched on that particular network's website. Total cost per year? $984/year.

I'll keep my $616/year and do a bit of the leg work myself, thanks. Screw Rogers and their insanely over-priced cable. I could save a hell of a lot more per year moving to TechSavvy as well. Most likely add another couple hundred to my yearly savings. However, I do find Rogers rock solid and wouldn't ever risk that stability since I do use my Internet as my main from of entertainment.

Also side note, I did away with their ridiculous "Home Phone" and saved hundreds of dollars per year there as well. I spent $50 on this: »www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps1···dex.html and another $50 on this: »www.freephoneline.ca/ and have free home phone with free call display and voicemail. Pffffff Rogers.
--
Weeeeeee

biznatch11

join:2004-11-21
London, ON
reply to noway1

What kinds of things would you be looking to watch on PPV or Rogers-On-Demand? Try Netflix.

yyzlhr

join:2012-09-03
Scarborough, ON
kudos:4
reply to Dustyn

said by Dustyn:

That's a shame.
I was hoping perhaps (let's say for example Shaw or Bell) could re-authorize these units on their own networks. Even if they use the same brand and model they still won't work with some kind of firmware update pushed through from their end?

Bell doesn't have an HFC network so it won't work at all. Most if not all of Shaw's systems are Motorola based so it definitely will not work. Other Cisco/Scientific Atlanta systems would not be able to accept a box from another network with ease due to the way that Cisco/Scientific Atlanta implemented their conditional access technology. Motorola based systems make it easier for boxes to be transferred between networks, but it's still a hassle for MSOs and most have stopped doing it.

J E F F
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Rogers Portable ..
reply to noway1

If it's a PPV Movie it will be also on somewhere else w/o cable.

You can buy a device such as Apple TV or Roku or LG Upgrader

From there, you can download apps such as Cinema Now or Vudu. These all have the same movies as PPV. Cinema Now (Best Buy) is American but also works for Canada. Vudu is American and you'll need an American DNS, address (zip code, really) and Credit Card. Apple TV also works for movies in Canada.

You can also find services, which may or may not be legal in Canada, for movies.

If it's a sporting event, not sure what you can do.

And as others mentioned, Netflix gets you a lot of movies, as does HuluPlus (TV shows) for $7.99 per month each. (also need a DNS/VPN service) I use unblock-us for that.

--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. - Albert Einstein

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON
reply to noway1

We cut the cord TV-wise last spring. I did a breakdown of our costs before and after here: Breaking free of Bell & Rogers. There's a bit of an "OMG what have I done?" shock at first, but with antenna, Netflix, & Hulu we get everything we want except some sports, we save a fortune, and we have lots more choice.

If you have a decent Internet connection with some sort of media playing device (SmartTV, PS3, XB360, Roku, AppleTV, etc.) and you just want an occasional PPV, consider using CinemaNow or buying/renting movies from XBox Live, the Playstation Network, iTunes, etc.

eweazel

join:2008-12-09
Etobicoke, ON

For Live Sports I use VIPbox.tv. Watch all the hockey games I want.

dabonz

join:2012-05-17
Ottawa, ON
reply to nekkidtruth

nice

Pesterd

@rogers.com

How do you get Hulu Plus, don't you need US information?

rosenqui
Premium
join:2004-05-28
Kanata, ON

said by Pesterd :

How do you get Hulu Plus, don't you need US information?

Use a service such as Unblock US or Unotelly.

I go into a bit of detail in this post about Unblock US. The extra hurdle with Hulu Plus is to be able to pay them - they only accept US addresses, so you either need to get a prepaid US credit card or gift card from somebody like this or use a ZIP code trick to get your Canadian card to work.