share rss forum feed

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to lordpuffer

Re: Hospital Stay - How Do You Protect Your Gadgets?

If you'd didn't ask or the hospital didn't tell you then you should find out the dimensions of the in-room safe before you check in.
--
CMKRNL

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium
join:2000-05-14
Martinsburg, WV
Reviews:
·Comcast
·Suddenlink

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

... 20 years ago I would have had no problems. I now have gadgetitus.

Use this time to go cold turkey.
--
“al-Jazeera was founded with the same goals we had for Current.”
Al Gore and Al Jezeera: like two peas in a pod.

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
reply to Waldothe3rd
Another that I've used for quite a while: »www.lookout.com/features

A Lurker
that's Ms Lurker btw
Premium
join:2007-10-27
Wellington N

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
Glad to hear there's a locking option. I was in the hospital a couple of months ago. I had someone bring my cell and my ereader after the surgery. I kept both in my beside table and had no issues. I could have asked to have them locked up but didn't bother.

I had to be up and moving the next day and the day after (the day I went home). However, someone would have to be waiting to sneak into the room when there's no schedule for those times.

I really only took the phone to call for a ride home. I actually gave my smart phone back to the company once I got home and managed to live without it during the weeks I was off. Time to break your electronic addiction now.

vircotto

join:2002-06-04
searching...
reply to lordpuffer
Wow, this is an eye-opener for me. A few years ago when I was caring for my father, when he was hospitalized we were told to turn off our cell phones (except in the main lobby or outside). They were paranoid about anything that might interfere with their own networked (wifi) devices.

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
kudos:1

1 recommendation

reply to not
said by not :

A 7" tablet and a phone is not that much stuff. Get yourself a small tote that you can put around your shoulder and carry them with you wherever you go. No one's going to look at you funny. They make small totes that are just big enough for a 7" tablet and a phone. SwissGear makes some... all zippered up with a sling, etc.

Enjoy your man purse.

that doesn't help when you go into surgery....

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to lordpuffer
Best advice, don't bring them...
Have someone who is visiting you bring them and take them home every day.

NEVER LET THEM OUT OF YOUR SIGHT!!!!

I speak from experience....

We bought my mother a laptop when she was confined to a nursing home, she had the ONLY key to her nightstand and we locked it up every day.

She kept the key on her wrist, on an elastic cord...

One night while she was sleeping, a temporary nurse at the home, removed the key while she slept and STOLE the laptop, we never saw it again.
--
Politics is a disease, we need a cure!
In constant search for intelligent life on Earth!

Johkal
Cool Cat
Premium,MVM
join:2002-11-13
Happy Valley
kudos:10
What happened to the "temporary nurse"?

Cheese
Premium
join:2003-10-26
Naples, FL
reply to JRW2
And you have proof this person took it?

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I'm going to be in the hospital for 3 days in about a week. I want to bring my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 with me. What are some suggestions how to protect these items from being stolen if I leave the hospital room (which I'm going to have to - hip replacement, and they make you walk after surgery ), or have to use the bathroom (which may take some time )?

I will be the only one in the hospital room....One bed.

Best advice? Don't take them. You won't need them, for one thing, because you will be recovering from your surgery (general anesthetic recovery is not immediate) and having therapy. This ain't a hotel (OK, you are paying Waldorf rates for a Super 8 motel room). When you get home you will have several weeks of therapy (my wife does this for a living) and may still be on painkillers and feel like crap.
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
Thanks for the Advice DKS. I'll take that into consideration. I am not a TV watcher, so I figure that to pass the time when I'm not doing therapy or asleep from painkillers I would have something to do.

hardly
Premium
join:2004-02-10
USA
reply to lordpuffer
Maybe call your insurance agent and make sure they are covered on your homeowners/renters policy for your hospital stay.

vaxvms
ferroequine fan
Premium
join:2005-03-01
Wormtown
kudos:3
reply to lordpuffer
Paperback books are cheap and not likely to be stolen can be a way to pass the time. Something like a Dave Barry book - lots of short articles.
--
CMKRNL

billydunwood

join:2008-04-23
united state

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I'm going to be in the hospital for 3 days in about a week. I want to bring my Galaxy Nexus and my Nexus 7 with me. What are some suggestions how to protect these items from being stolen if I leave the hospital room (which I'm going to have to - hip replacement, and they make you walk after surgery ), or have to use the bathroom (which may take some time )?

I will be the only one in the hospital room....One bed.

While I have no suggestions on how to not have your stuff stolen, I do have a suggestion on how to get it back if it is stolen. Download "Where's My Droid", which is free. If someone does take it, you can text the phone/tablet or go online and track it. Helps a great deal, and everyone with a droid should have it. I do.
--
No Victim=No Crime

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Johkal
said by Johkal:

What happened to the "temporary nurse"?

Police report filed, no proof he took it...
They REFUSED to search him or his home for the laptop.
--

JRW2
Premium
La La Land
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Cheese
said by Cheese:

And you have proof this person took it?

When he was leaving, my mother saw him leaving her room.
Since he was NOT one of her nurses, why was he in her room?
--

Boricua
Premium
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto
reply to vircotto
said by vircotto:

Wow, this is an eye-opener for me. A few years ago when I was caring for my father, when he was hospitalized we were told to turn off our cell phones (except in the main lobby or outside). They were paranoid about anything that might interfere with their own networked (wifi) devices.

This. I was going to mention to check with the hospital if you can EVEN bring electronics into the room. They may have monitoring systems where the tablet and cell phone may interfere with the equipment. And like others have said, this is the best time to let go of the addiction and destress. Recovery from any surgery is not fun, and you may need your energy to recuperate and get healthy again.
--
Illegal aliens have always been a problem in the United States. Ask any Indian. Robert Orben

NightOwl2

join:2012-03-19
reply to lordpuffer
My mother was hospitalized last fall. Hospital had the free wi-fi and internet access via tv so I took my laptop to use while she was watching tv. The hospital system was sloowww and brought me to their server/agreement - log on page every new session. She had a locked drawer where laptop was stored during short periods of time away from room. Otherwise it came home with me.

Cell phones were not a problem there. I remember having to go outside the hospital to call family members in the past - lol.

join:2000-10-10
Decatur, GA

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
You can't live without your gadgets for 3 days????

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

2 recommendations

said by 8744675:

You can't live without your gadgets for 3 days????

Sure I can - But right now I would prefer not to. Like I said, it will give me something to do during any down time while I'm in the hospital. Also, I'll need my DSLR fix.

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to 8744675
I would be able to live without a phone or tablet for a few days but I would not want to be without them in the hospital. Hospital stays are boring and depressing. I would want to have my phone to keep in touch and be able to do my favorite fun tasks while passing the time in recovery.
Expand your moderator at work

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to lordpuffer

Re: Hospital Stay - How Do You Protect Your Gadgets?

said by lordpuffer:

Thanks for the Advice DKS. I'll take that into consideration. I am not a TV watcher, so I figure that to pass the time when I'm not doing therapy or asleep from painkillers I would have something to do.

I can assure you that if you are on painkillers, you won't have to worry about "having something to do".
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Boricua
said by Boricua:

said by vircotto:

This. I was going to mention to check with the hospital if you can EVEN bring electronics into the room. They may have monitoring systems where the tablet and cell phone may interfere with the equipment. And like others have said, this is the best time to let go of the addiction and destress. Recovery from any surgery is not fun, and you may need your energy to recuperate and get healthy again.

+1. Our hospital bans cell phones in certain units and there is no wi-fi available except in the cafeteria.
--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
reply to lordpuffer
What, and worry about germs at the hospital getting into my prized tech gadgetry, oh NO!

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
As far as bringing your phone... my advice would be to just leave it at home and just use the landline phone in your room for calls if the hospital doesn't charge extra for it. Now would be a good time to get a Google Voice number so you can make long distance calls from the room phone. And setup (or have a family member or friend setup) your Google Voice number to forward to your room so people can still reach you at the same number if you change rooms.

Just can't beat the call quality of a landline. My mom was just in the hospital for about a week for a pelvis fracture and it sure was nice to talk to her on a landline! (although I didn't do the Google Voice bit).

EDIT: And Google Voice gives you a voice mailbox too to take messages when you're away from your room or in the bathroom when someone calls your room.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to DKS
said by DKS:

said by lordpuffer:

I can assure you that if you are on painkillers, you won't have to worry about "having something to do".

Painkillers? I don't think that they will have a great affect on my ability to function (unless they shoot me full of morphine, then I'm out). I'm hoping that the anesthesia works on me and puts me to sleep.

But seriously, I was addicted to Morphine, Norco and Soma for years due to a neurological injury. Finally got off of them this past summer, so I'm drug free (got off of them alone, with no help from an M.D.....M.D.s told me that I should continue taking them) Even when I was taking them, my tolerance to painkillers is very high.

Thanks for your concern. But I'll be ok.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Boricua
said by Boricua:

I was going to mention to check with the hospital if you can EVEN bring electronics into the room. They may have monitoring systems where the tablet and cell phone may interfere with the equipment.

I did check with the hospital. They have WiFi in the rooms and you can bring whatever device you want to....within reason of course. Maybe because I'm having Orthopedic surgery, there won't be much monitoring equipment in my room.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer
said by lordpuffer:

I was addicted to Morphine . . . due to a neurological injury.

+1

. . . but still my favorite drug of all

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to TwiztedZero
said by TwiztedZero:

What, and worry about germs at the hospital getting into my prized tech gadgetry, oh NO!

That is a very, very serious concern. Before Christmas I came down with a Norovirus infection and was out for three days. I am certain I caught it at the hospital, in spite of being scrupulous in my use of alcohol wash. They shut the unit I was visiting for ten days, the day after I was there, for the same infection.

Hospitals are festering piles of disease-breeding germs.

BTW, the virucides they use are not nice.
--