uniqs
share rss forum feed

drslash
Goya Asma
Premium
join:2002-02-18
Marion, IA
reply to 8744675

Re: Hospital Stay - How Do You Protect Your Gadgets?

I would be able to live without a phone or tablet for a few days but I would not want to be without them in the hospital. Hospital stays are boring and depressing. I would want to have my phone to keep in touch and be able to do my favorite fun tasks while passing the time in recovery.

Expand your moderator at work

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
join:2001-03-22
Owen Sound, ON
kudos:2
reply to lordpuffer

Re: Hospital Stay - How Do You Protect Your Gadgets?

said by lordpuffer:

Thanks for the Advice DKS. I'll take that into consideration. I am not a TV watcher, so I figure that to pass the time when I'm not doing therapy or asleep from painkillers I would have something to do.

I can assure you that if you are on painkillers, you won't have to worry about "having something to do".
--
Need-based health care not greed-based health care.

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

said by vircotto:

Wow, this is an eye-opener for me. A few years ago when I was caring for my father, when he was hospitalized we were told to turn off our cell phones (except in the main lobby or outside). They were paranoid about anything that might interfere with their own networked (wifi) devices.

This. I was going to mention to check with the hospital if you can EVEN bring electronics into the room. They may have monitoring systems where the tablet and cell phone may interfere with the equipment. And like others have said, this is the best time to let go of the addiction and destress. Recovery from any surgery is not fun, and you may need your energy to recuperate and get healthy again.

+1. Our hospital bans cell phones in certain units and there is no wi-fi available except in the cafeteria.
--

TwiztedZero
Nine Zero Burp Nine Six
Premium
join:2011-03-31
Toronto, ON
kudos:5
reply to lordpuffer

What, and worry about germs at the hospital getting into my prized tech gadgetry, oh NO!

slyphoxj

join:2002-06-23
Brook Park, OH
Reviews:
·ObiVoice
·WOW Internet and..
·magicjack.com
·Callcentric

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

As far as bringing your phone... my advice would be to just leave it at home and just use the landline phone in your room for calls if the hospital doesn't charge extra for it. Now would be a good time to get a Google Voice number so you can make long distance calls from the room phone. And setup (or have a family member or friend setup) your Google Voice number to forward to your room so people can still reach you at the same number if you change rooms.

Just can't beat the call quality of a landline. My mom was just in the hospital for about a week for a pelvis fracture and it sure was nice to talk to her on a landline! (although I didn't do the Google Voice bit).

EDIT: And Google Voice gives you a voice mailbox too to take messages when you're away from your room or in the bathroom when someone calls your room.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
join:2004-09-19
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 edit
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by lordpuffer:

Thanks for the Advice DKS. I'll take that into consideration. I am not a TV watcher, so I figure that to pass the time when I'm not doing therapy or asleep from painkillers I would have something to do.

I can assure you that if you are on painkillers, you won't have to worry about "having something to do".

Painkillers? I don't think that they will have a great affect on my ability to function (unless they shoot me full of morphine, then I'm out). I'm hoping that the anesthesia works on me and puts me to sleep.

But seriously, I was addicted to Morphine, Norco and Soma for years due to a neurological injury. Finally got off of them this past summer, so I'm drug free (got off of them alone, with no help from an M.D.....M.D.s told me that I should continue taking them) Even when I was taking them, my tolerance to painkillers is very high.

Thanks for your concern. But I'll be ok.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne
reply to Boricua

said by Boricua:

I was going to mention to check with the hospital if you can EVEN bring electronics into the room. They may have monitoring systems where the tablet and cell phone may interfere with the equipment.

I did check with the hospital. They have WiFi in the rooms and you can bring whatever device you want to....within reason of course. Maybe because I'm having Orthopedic surgery, there won't be much monitoring equipment in my room.

Coma
Thanks Steve
Premium
join:2001-12-30
NirvanaLand

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

I was addicted to Morphine . . . due to a neurological injury.

+1

. . . but still my favorite drug of all

--
January is National Oatmeal Month

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to TwiztedZero

said by TwiztedZero:

What, and worry about germs at the hospital getting into my prized tech gadgetry, oh NO!

That is a very, very serious concern. Before Christmas I came down with a Norovirus infection and was out for three days. I am certain I caught it at the hospital, in spite of being scrupulous in my use of alcohol wash. They shut the unit I was visiting for ten days, the day after I was there, for the same infection.

Hospitals are festering piles of disease-breeding germs.

BTW, the virucides they use are not nice.
--

bemis

join:2008-07-18
Reading, MA
reply to lordpuffer

...well, hopefully your surgery went well...

The lack of a follow-up, maybe his gadgets got stolen by a sticky fingered orderly...

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by bemis:

...well, hopefully your surgery went well...

The lack of a follow-up, maybe his gadgets got stolen by a sticky fingered orderly...

Sorry....I didn't follow up because my surgery was postponed until the 3rd week in February.

Afterwards, I'll hopefully be able to post that all went well (surgery and gadgets). Thank you for your well wishes though.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
reply to lordpuffer

I'm going into the hospital tomorrow (with my gadgets). I'll post how it went on Thursday or Friday when I come home. I hope the nurses are cute.

JRW2
R.I.P. Mom, Brian, Ziggy, Max and Zen.
Premium
join:2004-12-20
La La Land
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Optimum Online

1 recommendation

said by lordpuffer:

I hope the nurses are cute.

Maybe he will be.....

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by JRW2:

said by lordpuffer:

I hope the nurses are cute.

Maybe he will be.....

I guess that I'll have to be more open-minded during my stay.

state
stress magnet
Premium,Mod
join:2002-02-08
Purgatory
kudos:6
reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

I'm going into the hospital tomorrow (with my gadgets). I'll post how it went on Thursday or Friday when I come home. I hope the nurses are cute.

Best of luck to you, with your visit and the nurses.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by state:

said by lordpuffer:

Best of luck to you, with your visit and the nurses.

Thank you very much state See Profile.

danawhitaker
Space...The Final Frontier
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Urbandale, IA
reply to DKS

said by DKS:

said by lordpuffer:

Sorry, this is complete BS. I went nuts after I had my gall bladder out and all I had to do in the hospital was watch TV and read. It's nice to be able to communicate with the outside world without talking on the phone or having visitors. I was on a pain pump for a while and I still wanted stuff to do. I was in there for several days before my surgery and two days after. Three weeks before that, I had a four day stay after giving birth to my daughter. Even with a new baby to take care of, I got stir crazy and craved communication. This was back in 2005 before wifi was everywhere. After I had my wisdom teeth out, I thankfully wasn't hospitalized, and the painkillers I was on with that didn't impede my ability or desire to raid in World of Warcraft that same night.

Perhaps painkillers affect you that way, but don't assume they do the same to everyone. Whatever I was on made me hyper. And therapy (speaking from experience with watching my mom after having a shattered kneecap and a broken hip that they had to do a replacement on) does not last all day. You'll still have plenty of downtime.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

1 recommendation

reply to lordpuffer

I had a successful hip replacement. There was a lot of pain and painkillers, physical therapy, etc. I had really no time to even use my gadgets, so they just stayed locked up in my hospital room, and are now safe at home. Thanks again for everyone's input.

JALevinworth

@embarqhsd.net

Have a good recovery, lordpuffer See Profile

-Jim

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to danawhitaker

said by danawhitaker:

said by DKS:

said by lordpuffer:

Sorry, this is complete BS.

I trust you will read the OP's post.
--

DKS
Damn Kidney Stones
Premium,ExMod 2002
Owen Sound, ON
reply to lordpuffer

said by lordpuffer:

I had a successful hip replacement. There was a lot of pain and painkillers, physical therapy, etc. I had really no time to even use my gadgets, so they just stayed locked up in my hospital room, and are now safe at home. Thanks again for everyone's input.

Glad to know it went well. One final suggestion. My wife is a physio who sees a lot of hip and knee replacements. The secret to a successful recovery is simply. Do your exercises as your physio says and don't do more than they tell you. This is a case where "More is NOT better". Report any swelling or pain immediately, as this could be a sign of infection. And enjoy your increased mobility!
--

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM

Thank you.

Blogger
Jedi Poster
Premium
join:2012-10-18
Reviews:
·Champion Broadba..
reply to lordpuffer

Not taking what you don't need is naturally a good idea, but what I have had in all the joints, hospitals, I've been tossed in they have just checked my stuff and locked it up.

Good luck and all the best for an optimal outcome with the minimum of pain and full recovery for your hip surgery.
--
The signal is usually drowned out by the noise.

lordpuffer
RIP lil
Premium
Rio Rancho, NM
Reviews:
·CableOne

said by Blogger:

Good luck and all the best for an optimal outcome with the minimum of pain and full recovery for your hip surgery.

Thank you Blogger.
Expand your moderator at work