how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

fishacura

join:2008-01-25
Phoenixville, PA

FIOS Actiontec router access

My parents just moved and got FIOS. Can someone remind me what's the router ID and Password for initial access? I believe the ID is the router ID from the sticker but what's the PW?
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

Nevermind...found the FAQ. Looks like userid=admin and pw=routerid

mrtomallen

join:2007-01-31
Valrico, FL
reply to fishacura

User ID: admin
Password: password

JPL
Premium
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4

The password may not be Password anymore (actually mine was never 'Password'... it was 'Password1'). Some time ago Verizon changed the default p/w on routers to be = the serial number on the router (which can be found on the label on the router). That includes routers that were already out in peoples' homes.

Timothy28

join:2006-05-13
Lewisville, TX
reply to fishacura

Yeah, it may not be something that simple anymore. One thing i was pleasantly surprised by when i got fios this time is, one, the default password is actually a good password and two, the default wiresless security is wpa2 instead of wep.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to fishacura

fyi...they got a router (revision I) that had the ID and PW on the sticker of the router. Also had WPA and WPA2 passwords on the router sticker. Made it easy!
--
People who don't get good service on average tell 10 others while people who do get good service on average tell 1.

hubrisnxs

join:2009-12-30
Fountain Valley, CA
kudos:2

you can get the wireless info from the tv menu now too. Press menu>customer support>my wireless network.

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA
reply to fishacura

That surprises me....any guest in your house has access to your wireless PW without having to go through the router logon process or any other security verification? Odd,
--

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

1 edit
reply to hubrisnxs

I got around that (not intentionally) by not using the Actiontec's wireless and added a different router as a WAP. The Linksys I used seems to provide better signal strength than the A/T (Rev. C). If I go to that menu item on an STB, it returns no information on the wireless settings.

The A/T is still the front end router but the wireless is disabled.
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

How do you do that? I actually need to set up a second router for a 2nd network (for kids) and wasn't sure how to do so. You seem to know what you're doing. Is there an easy FAQ that you're aware of on how to do this?
--

Rattler

join:2001-04-13
Havertown, PA

said by fishacura:

How do you do that? I actually need to set up a second router for a 2nd network (for kids) and wasn't sure how to do so. You seem to know what you're doing. Is there an easy FAQ that you're aware of on how to do this?

There is a FAQ that covers adding a 2nd router while using the A/T as the primary - here's the link:

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ »Can I use my wireless or an extra router along with the Verizon provided router?

Here's the link to all the FiOS FAQs:

»Verizon Online FiOS FAQ

I simply turned off the wireless in the A/T and set up the Linksys as a wireless access point in its firmware. The IPs and connections are as listed in the FAQ.

Be advised, this puts the wireless access point on the SAME LAN block of IPs that the test of your LAN is on. If you want to set up your kids on a different set of IPs (e.g. 192.168.2.xxx), and still allow them to access the primary internet connection, that is a different can of worms
--
Never raise your hands to your kids. It leaves your groin unprotected. -- Red Buttons

fishacura

Phoenixville, PA

The latter is what I want to do. I think the way I do that is to have the wireless of both routers on with one access point being 192.168.1.1 and the secondary router being 192.168.1.2 right? I think that's all in the FAQs. Otherwise, what's the point of a second router?
--