Premium Member
join:2007-04-04
Downingtown, PA

2 edits

JPL to Corehhi

Premium Member

to Corehhi

Re: Big difference between Osny and others

You mean the 3 Sony Walman mp3 players I have in my house don't count? They HAVE 'digital walkmans', and they're really nice players (very compact, very nice sound, and extremely long battery life). Granted, they squandered the chance to really get into that market, and Apple certainly dominates, but Sony has a whole suite of such devices.

As for Sony letting the 'hardware market' go... um, you do realize that the PS/2 is the top selling gaming system of all time... right? It's still selling despite the fact that they have the PS/3. And considering the fact that they won the HD DVD wars... I guess I'm not sure what you mean by that. I would argue that they're too thin in that arena - they have too many products. Go to their web site and look up the Sony Walkman (yes, such a beast exists), and you'll see a slew of models. Why the need for so many models... that's just beyond me.

On to the TV thing, I have to agree that this is another case of a Quixotic endeavor. I have to wonder why these guys aren't opting to just get into the market currently dominated by TiVo. Now that the FCC created regulations with regard to over the top ip delivery for cable companies (they're going to be required to offer such service, and while the cable companies can create their own standards, they're going to be required to make them open, and fully spec'd, allowing third party box sellers into the market), that seems like an industry that's just primed for growth.

Yes, there are others in the market, but I've always thought that Microsoft's solution to be as the article states... bland. Not to mention overpriced (you really need to subscribe to Xbox Live just to get this streaming option?). Also, while this architecture is really nice for streaming devices (like the iPad), for non-Smart TVs, the solution so far has been found wanting. If someone like Sony could develop a box that was cheap, small, but had a good deal of functionality (good guide... fast channel changes... DVR functionality - or not - heck, I like the idea of making it a cloud-based DVR), I think it could smoke the competition. Get cable companies to allow for VOD access to such boxes (which I think the FCC is getting primed to work on), and you'll have people itching to get rid of their cable company STB. Yeah, such a set up will require that you tie in with a cable provider, but so what? Heck, add in internet streaming - apps for Netflix, Hulu, You Tube, Amazon Video,... the works. And give customers access to exclusive Sony content on top of that. I think that could be a real winner.

Short of that, a company will need to do what Google is doing with laying their own fiber to adequately get into the TV market.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

JPL, I didn't even know Sony still made the Walkman. LOL. The problem is they could have come out with a digital Walkman(MP3 format or whatever) way before Apple. I'm sure Sony hated the whole MP3 Napaster thing that was going on and didn't want to help out with a MP3 playing Walkman. That make sense to you?? I know the Play station sold well but Sony use to build all sorts hardware and that is what they did, the entertainment division came much later.

There might be an age difference going on here you say Sony won the HD format war, well I say they lost the Betamax war. Blank blurays cost so much that I know no one who uses them and bluray sales are light compared DVD's when DVD's came out. Same with VHS tapes they sold more of those then I think they will ever sell of blurays. I believe Sony was also involved in DAT which should have taken over for cassette tapes but the music industry hated that idea and got DAT stopped in it's tracks. »en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Di ··· dio_Tape

In the end Sony was a huge hardware seller in it's day for the audio and video industry and my whole point was they went into the entertainment side which put the company on both sides of the fence, one side making the hardware to undermine the other.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
I didn't even know Sony still made the Walkman
Where have you been? Sony has branded their MP3 Player line as Walkman for years. And there are two lines of the Walkman, the Z Series and the newer F Series that run Android. I’ve had a 32 GB Sony Walkman Z since they first released it in the US in March or April of last year. These two models are infused with Sony’s S-Master MX technology which results in absolutely amazing sound quality and has a bunch of audio enhancement options and a 5 band EQ with separate bass control. The audio quality of this thing blows away any iPod. The Walkman F uses the same exact technology, but runs Ice Cream Sandwich and has a faster processor. I would get that one too, but Sony shrunk the screen down. My Z is 4.3”, the F is only 3.5”. If I saw value in a tiny screen I’d go buy the latest hunk of shit from Apple. Just kidding, I'd rather have poisonous snakes devour me alive then go back to using lame Apple products.

I use it every day to stream via Bluetooth to my Big Jambox and when I want to go louder, since this and all Sony devices are DLNA compliant, unlike the crap Apple pumps out, I can wirelessly stream my personal music collection to my Home Theater Receiver and 7.1 speaker set up. When I want to listen to online sources I use the Pandora and Sirius XM apps on the Walkman or tune into some online radio stations on the Shoutcast network on the Winamp amp.

»store.sony.com/c/S_Walkm ··· ayers:ss

Walkman is also alive in software form. The name of the default media player app on Sony Xperia tablets is also called Walkman. And it is by far the best media player app I’ve used on any mobile platform.

Corehhi
join:2002-01-28
Bluffton, SC

Corehhi

Steve the only music player I have is a $12 one I picked up at Big Lots or something like that. It's a straight knock off of an Ipod shuffle. That's all I need. In fact I simply don't waste my money on all these tech gadgets.

BTW I had a Sony walkman, top of the line back in 1980 used it for years and it was expensive I think it was something like $90 back then.
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

Happydude32

Premium Member

The only motivation I have to drag my sorry fat ass out of bed every day and waddle into work is to get money to feed my tech addition. I’m on my fourth smartphone in less than a year, and third $1K+ Home Theater receiver in two years. That should tell you a lot about how much I worship at the altar of all things electronic. Not sure what $90 is in today’s money, but have you beat I’m sure. I paid $330 for my Walkman plus another nearly $100 for a screen protector and case, both of which were Japanese imports, hence why they cost so much as the bulk was shipping.

sivran
Vive Vivaldi
Premium Member
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX

sivran

Premium Member

One question about your Walkman:

Does it sort properly by folders and make it easy to navigate your collection that way (ie, a fucking button or two for it)?

Okay, that was actually two.

I despise sorting by id3 tag. I refer to that as the braindead itunes way.