how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

cwvallier

join:2009-06-26
Turlock, CA

[iPhone] Prepping an iphone to sell...

I currently own an iphone 4. Was not planning on getting the 5, but Walmart has lowered the price to $130, so I think I am going to make the upgrade - cant pass that price up. I also know I can sell my 4 for close to $200 and actaully make a profit on this. My question has to do with prepping the 4 to be sold on craigslist. I believe these are the steps I should take:

1. Use itunes to create a backup of the 4.
2. Wipe the 4 by using "erase all content and settings" funtion.
3. Remove the sim card.
4. The, when I have the 5, use the "restore from backup" on itunes to set up the new phone.

Do those steps sound right and am I missing anything?

Mike
Premium,Mod
join:2000-09-17
Pittsburgh, PA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

You can do that if you want. I'd leave the SIM in. Shouldn't matter.

You don't have to worry about iTunes backups again with a 5 (and technically a 4). Just point backups to iCloud.
--
"If something about the human body disgusts you, complain to the manufacturer" - Lenny Bruce
What this country needs is a good five dollar plasma weapon.

cwvallier

Turlock, CA

Thanks for the quick response. If I leave the sim card, any chance any of my personal data will be left on it?

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4

Personally, I just keep/destroy the SIM myself (we just sent off our iPhone 4's to Amazon to "sell"). Better safe than sorry.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

not

@comcast.net
reply to Mike

said by Mike:

You can do that if you want. I'd leave the SIM in. Shouldn't matter.

You don't have to worry about iTunes backups again with a 5 (and technically a 4). Just point backups to iCloud.

Both of these are somewhat incorrect due to open-endedness. (is that a word? lol)

1) Take the SIM out. The SIM holds both your phone number info as well as the possibility of holding contact info (if you copied any to it). Along with that it also provides the SIM number which is linked to your provisioned carrier account. Extra info that doesn't need to be out in public. Take it out, it's unneeded by the next person.

2) iCloud backup cannot hold everything you have, especially if you've only got the free amount and not paying for more. If a person has a ton of stuff on their phone, it will not hold it all. Plus, restoring a really large backup from iCloud takes way longer than with a cable and iTunes.

Everything in the OP's original post is correct.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Frontier FiOS

said by not :

Plus, restoring a really large backup from iCloud takes way longer than with a cable and iTunes.

That's been my experience when upgrading to an iPhone 5.
--
♬ Dragon of good fortune struggles with the trickster Fox ♬

cwvallier

Turlock, CA

Awesome guys. Thank you very much!