His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
join:2001-01-29
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box to TCO1962

Premium Member

to TCO1962

Re: Help choosing something new

What is more important, the camera and lens or the savings?
I think you would be happier with the 18-135mm lens for a few dollars more.

»www.amazon.com/Canon-Dig ··· 18-135mm

TCO1962
Premium Member
join:2001-07-02
Champaign, IL

1 edit

TCO1962

Premium Member

said by Juke Box:

What is more important, the camera and lens or the savings?
I think you would be happier with the 18-135mm lens for a few dollars more.

»www.amazon.com/Canon-Dig ··· 18-135mm

I don't really know, that's why I was asking for opinions. I'm a novice with SLR so I really think the camera plus the two lenses I got (not to mention at a good price) will serve me well.

Is there a distinct "problem" with this lens and the kit lens I got?

»www.amazon.com/gp/produc ··· _s00_i00

I guess I could return what I got if it's a pretty big mistake. The money difference is negligible.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
Psalm 96 ESV

Juke Box

Premium Member

I understand the questioning. I would do the same thing.

I mention the 18-135mm because it is newer, just released this year with the launch of the T4i cameras it seems. The auto focus is quieter, which may be important in the case of making videos.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

TCO1962

Premium Member

said by Juke Box:

I mention the 18-135mm because it is newer, just released this year with the launch of the T4i cameras it seems. The auto focus is quieter, which may be important in the case of making videos.

That makes sense. So that singular lens is "better" than the two I got right? I can see having only one lens that takes the place of two would be nice.

Juke Box
His Word Never Fails
Premium Member
Psalm 96 ESV

1 edit

Juke Box

Premium Member

said by TCO1962:

said by Juke Box:

That makes sense. So that singular lens is "better" than the two I got right? I can see having only one lens that takes the place of two would be nice.

You will definitely want a telephoto lens. I got a 55-250 as part of a t4i kit for my wife.

Chuck22
Premium Member
join:2003-11-10
Salt Lake City, UT

Chuck22

Premium Member

Good choice. The 18-200 is an excellent lens with a nice everyday practical range--I use it as my main walk-around lens.

TCO1962
Premium Member
Champaign, IL

1 edit

TCO1962

Premium Member

So is the 18-55 basically worthless? It would appear I should have bought one of the other lens' suggested now (but not the one I chose, lol) and been done with it.

I can always return if you guys think it's worth it..As I've said, this is basically my first venture into SLR. I've had (and have) some pretty nice point and shoots over the years though. Both small ones and full sized ones (that do in fact take decent pics).

Perhaps I should've stayed with them! lol I still have 7 or 8!

Jodokast96
Stupid people piss me off.
Premium Member
join:2005-11-23
NJ

Jodokast96

Premium Member

Hell no it's not worthless. You are currently covered from 18-250mm. Is it worth another $160 at this point in time for you to have the same coverage, but with the 18-135 instead of the 18-55? Do you think you will notice the difference in IQ? Those are the questions you need to answer for yourself.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

And someone who's been using P&S for years won't notice... The 18-55 is a good lens for what it is. The 18-135 is the new version of the 28-135 and while the range is good, it's not THAT long.