Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

[Connectivity] Problems with Netflix after D3 install?

I got the D3 upgrade on 12/20/12 and got a modem upgrade on 12/21/12. Ever since then I've been having quite a few problems with netflix streaming on my PS3. Continued refusal to play titles, or quite a few re-buffering screens.

Is this a problem related to Netflix and the recent Xmas downtime or my connection? I also had several DCs yesterday in regards to my US channel. I've only got one up vs 2-4 like most other areas.

My signals:

RF Parameters
Downstream
DCID Freq Power SNR Modulation Octets Correcteds Uncorrectables
Downstream 1 55 471.00 MHz 6.09 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 1606284926 287 0
Downstream 2 53 459.00 MHz 6.08 dBmV 36.84 dB 256QAM 1546453108 214 0
Downstream 3 54 465.00 MHz 6.16 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 1531822014 273 0
Downstream 4 56 477.00 MHz 5.98 dBmV 37.09 dB 256QAM 1511029810 292 0
Reset FEC Counters
Upstream
UCID Freq Power Channel Type Symbol Rate Modulation
Upstream 1 1 29.50 MHz 40.25 dBmV DOCSIS1.x (TDMA) 2560 kSym/s 16QAM

IPv6_NOT
@comcast.net

IPv6_NOT

Anon

You really did not provide much information for anyone to use to help you, so I will make a wild guess that perhaps your new sluggish connections to Netflix is more related to IP connectivity than to HFC signal quality.

If you are in an IPv6 supported area, and if your router supports IPv6, your upgrade to a DOCSIS 3 modem may also mean that your got an "upgrade" to IPv6 as well.

Since I started using Comcast's dual stack IPv4/IPv6 connection, I have noticed that quite often some mainstream sites have become much more sluggish than they were when I only used IPv4. Many mainstream sites are now supporting IPv6 traffic, but my own experience tells me that some of them do a better job of doing so than others. Quite often when I notice really sluggish response from some sites, I have found that if I temporarily turn off IPv6 support in my router, those sites miraculously start to respond normally again. Of course, YMMV (especially since we have no idea what modem or router you are using, or if you even have IPv6 capability on your connection).

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Well, aside from signals, let me know what else you'd like to have posted and I'll post that too. It's more annoying then anything.

As for IPv6, that's a no, I ran the test the day of the D3 modem upgrade, nada. This was a direct connect to the modem. My router currently doesn't do IPv6, but a firmware update will solve that easily. As for what router I use, it's a Linksys WRT54GL with DD-WRT loaded on it. (I'll be pushing it as far as I can go speed wise, but with the next upgrade, I'm on 25/4 now and will be going to 50/10+ during the next upgrade, so I'll be shopping for a new router as well.)

I'm also using an ARRIS 722G EMTA. Works pretty great aside from a few, easily fixed problems I'm having with it.

That's a hell of a story you got there. Makes me wonder why sites aren't doing a better job with v6 if they are that sluggish, given the big fuss over the conversion.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313
Ever since the Christmas Eve outage, things have been a bit crazy at Netflix. Many people have been reporting slow connections at times. Add in who knows how many new subscribers over Christmas, and they could just be overloaded.

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
join:2002-11-13
Pennsyltucky

Johkal to Chris 313

MVM

to Chris 313
What happens if you go into Netflix's settings for "Manage Video Quality" and set it to "Better Quality" or "Good Quality" instead of "Best Quality"?

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

What happens if you go into Netflix's settings for "Manage Video Quality" and set it to "Better Quality" or "Good Quality" instead of "Best Quality"?

I was going to suggest the same thing. On my girlfriends laptop, she was seeing issues with Netflix, and I fixed them by going in and changing that from "Best Quality" to "Good Quality".

For her, her laptop does not have that great of a video card. Its OK for the most part, but I don't think it can handle HD Streaming of Netflix.

On a PS3, and two other desktops at her place, there was no issue. I even tested her laptop with a wired connection (thinking it was a wireless issue). Since everything tested out OK, except for her laptop, I knew the problem was not anything to do with Signals or connection, or speed.

Once I made that change, everything worked fine.

By the way, her ISP is Time Warner Cable, but I don't think that matters here. The issue was the setting that Johkal See Profile mentioned.

What is interesting is that my girlfriend has always had it set as "Best Quality" for over 9 months without an issue. However, I'm thinking that over time, Netflix has upgraded their offerings to be more HD and higher quality. As such, the chance of you watching something now with a higher quality then it was 8 months ago is probably really good.

--Brian

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

My situation was with the load my network got from my household when I subscribed to "Performance", I often had to set my video quality down to avoid issues when streaming Netflix. Ever since I upgraded to "Blast", I have no more issues streaming on "Best Quality" even with an extreme load on my network.

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

said by Johkal:

My situation was with the load my network got from my household when I subscribed to "Performance", I often had to set my video quality down to avoid issues when streaming Netflix. Ever since I upgraded to "Blast", I have no more issues streaming on "Best Quality" even with an extreme load on my network.

Yeah, I went with Better quality vs best like I had. And it seems to work a little better now. But it doesn't make sense. I had it on best since inception and worked it with 8/2 for a long time with very little issue. Now, I've got D3 and 25/4 and I'm having issues all over now, even when there's nothing else big going on on my network?

Weird. I hope that when the upgrade to 50/10 hits, that this problem is solved.

plencnerb
Premium Member
join:2000-09-25
53403-1242

plencnerb

Premium Member

As I said, my girlfriend has been using Netflix for over a year on the following laptop

Acer Aspire 5250-0810

Up until about a month ago, her setting was "Best Quality". She had no issues with Netflix on that hardware.

Then, out of the blue, she started having issues watching movies. Some were ones that she had already watched before without issues, and others were new movies that she had not seen before.

In researching her laptop, it was determined that her video card was not exactly able to stream movies on Netflix when the setting was set to "Best Quality".

I also did a test at her house with the same movie, on two different desktop systems, with better video cards in them. One was wireless, and the other was direct corrected (wired). Both played the movie fine.

I even went one step further and plugged her laptop into the wire, and it still failed on the exact same movie.

Once I changed the setting to the lowest level, everything worked fine.

I was just as puzzled as you, as it had been working for so long without any issues.

The only thing I can think of is that over time, Netflix has started to update / modify their offerings to be of a higher quality. As such, more powerful systems (better hardware) is needed to stream HD Video without any problems.

--Brian

Chris 313
Because It's Geekier
Premium Member
Houma, LA
·AT&T FTTP
·Comcast XFINITY

Chris 313

Premium Member

Sure and that's great if they are. But, I don't even bother with Netflix on the PC. It's been strictly PS3/Xbox for a long time as far as Netflix streaming goes. Up until this Xmas, things were great. Then there was that big outage and the D3 upgrade.

Still, I'll watch my PS3 a ton and see how the better quality setting works out, maybe even bump it up to best and see if the problem happens again.
rody_44
Premium Member
join:2004-02-20
Quakertown, PA

rody_44 to plencnerb

Premium Member

to plencnerb
I have been having issues since christmas eve. Pretty sure its a net flix server issue so i just wait it out. I use a roku box and the issue only started christmas and happens on both amazon and netflixwhich is the same servers. Other streaming services from the same box doesnt have the issues so im sure its a netflix server issue

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

When Netflix's servers were getting hammered around Christmas, I had no issues with Amazon. Just saying!
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by Johkal:

When Netflix's servers were getting hammered around Christmas, I had no issues with Amazon. Just saying!

you'd wonder why....Netflix is being dished out by Amazon's AWS...

Johkal
Cool Cat
MVM
Pennsyltucky

Johkal

MVM

Can't explain it. I ended up watching some Amazon movie because Netflix was completely hosed for hours.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

andyross to plencnerb

MVM

to plencnerb
said by plencnerb:

What is interesting is that my girlfriend has always had it set as "Best Quality" for over 9 months without an issue. However, I'm thinking that over time, Netflix has upgraded their offerings to be more HD and higher quality. As such, the chance of you watching something now with a higher quality then it was 8 months ago is probably really good.

Actually, about 2 months or so ago, Netflix started re-encoding their HD with new algorithms to allow a LOWER bitrate. They now max out around 4M instead of 5-6.