uniqs

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to Speedy Petey

to Speedy Petey

Re: My addition will take almost 2 miles of Cat 6

said by Speedy Petey:

I CANNOT see where you would need 10k feet of Cat6.

If you put like 4 outlets in every room, and that the main router is located on the completely opposite end of the house, I could imagine it.

I bet he's doing 1-2 dedicated coax line per room as well.
pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by alkizmo:

If you put like 4 outlets in every room, and that the main router is located on the completely opposite end of the house, I could imagine it.

I bet he's doing 1-2 dedicated coax line per room as well.

You are amazingly close. There are 4 outlets in each bedroom, each outlet has 7 Cat 6 and 3 Coax run to it. The average run is about 50-70' (more toward the center of the house).

Each room will have 28 Cat 6 and 12 RG 6 coax in 4 locations. The media area has 16 Cat 6 (in a 1U bracket) and 16 20 amp outlets connected via a home run to the breaker box, with 4 RG 6 Coax. Bathroom has 2 Cat 6, kitchen area has 2 Cat 6 to each of 3 outlets with 2 RG 6 Coax. Above each exterior door is both an RG 6 and a Cat 6 (allows me to run an IP or Coax camera over the doors).

It all comes to a demarcation area in my attic above the server / switch / router box (which is a 12U 19" wire mesh cage).

I wanted to demarc the old and new house without a powered switch, to help isolate any problems and to make it easier in the future to move stuff around.

In several media areas I currently have 3 8 port switches as there is only 1 ethernet jack, and am tired of the mess. In many areas I have either an 8 port or two 8 port switches. Even if the switches were moved to the attic, it would be less of a mess.

My thermostats were Wi-Fi, are now Z-Wave, my doors are Z-wave. The security system is going to run a lot of low voltage wire as well.

I suspect for the volume of the home it will have a greater density of copper than most copper mines.
Speedy Petey
join:2008-01-19

Speedy Petey

said by pandora:

You are amazingly close. There are 4 outlets in each bedroom, each outlet has 7 Cat 6 and 3 Coax run to it. The average run is about 50-70' (more toward the center of the house).

Each room will have 28 Cat 6 and 12 RG 6 coax in 4 locations.

HAHAHAHAHA

In a BEDROOM??
WHAT IN THE WORLD is your justification for this???
AVonGauss
Premium Member
join:2007-11-01
Boynton Beach, FL

AVonGauss

Premium Member

said by Speedy Petey:

A serious case of switchaphobia...

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

1 recommendation

Jack_in_VA to Speedy Petey

Premium Member

to Speedy Petey
said by Speedy Petey:

said by pandora:

HAHAHAHAHA

In a BEDROOM??

+1

I have better things to do in the bedroom that doesn't require 28 cat 6 and 12 RG-6 coax in four locations. One location is sufficient.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to Speedy Petey

MVM

to Speedy Petey
said by Speedy Petey:

said by pandora:

HAHAHAHAHA

In a BEDROOM??

HTPC, internet-connected TV, video game console, some type of net enabled STB/ruku/etc, networked AV receiver. For satellite two runs for satellite and a 3rd for OTA. And all those things are needed more or less at the same spot with a typical setup.

Yes a switch can enable all the networking on one outlet. And I believe that all the satellite TV can be run on a single coax now (but I may be wrong). So I could see a possible use for 6+3 outlets. Now I think that many on every wall is excessive. Especially in a bedroom. Maybe on opposite walls would be a little easier to swallow. But it's not my money...

If I was building a house, a drop on each wall would be nice of 2 coax and two network. Or at a minimum, a smurftube where a run could be ran down the road after the walls sealed up. For a living room or very large room that is likely to be rearranged, or for one that has multiple doorways, a fireplace, or other design where cables can not easily be routed just along the floorboards, then multiple larger drops would be nice.

ImpldConsent
Scouts Out
Premium Member
join:2001-03-04
North Port, FL
·Comcast XFINITY

1 recommendation

ImpldConsent to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by pandora:

Each room will have 28 Cat 6 and 12 RG 6 coax in 4 locations. The media area has 16 Cat 6 (in a 1U bracket) and 16 20 amp outlets connected via a home run to the breaker box, with 4 RG 6 Coax. Bathroom has 2 Cat 6, kitchen area has 2 Cat 6 to each of 3 outlets with 2 RG 6 Coax. Above each exterior door is both an RG 6 and a Cat 6 (allows me to run an IP or Coax camera over the doors).

I LOVE this idea and you are making it a reality; however, you and I both know it's a bit overkill. You did bring up a GREAT idea though, the CAT6/RG6 above the doors is brilliant. If anyone has tried to retro-fit at the corners, y'all understand. Hell, what's 10K' of cabling? Two rolls? Don't worry about the nay-sayers, I love this. Best now at the build rather than later when the good-idea fairy pokes around. XD
Moffetts
join:2005-05-09
San Mateo, CA

Moffetts

said by ImpldConsent:

Hell, what's 10K' of cabling? Two rolls?

Yes, those ubiquitous mile-long spools of CAT6. Two of those.

Or, more in line with reality, 10+ 1000 foot boxes.
prairiesky
join:2008-12-08
canada

prairiesky

said by Moffetts:

said by ImpldConsent:

Hell, what's 10K' of cabling? Two rolls?

Yes, those ubiquitous mile-long spools of CAT6. Two of those.

Or, more in line with reality, 10+ 1000 foot boxes.

I purchased cat5e for $3?? for a 1000 ft roll, only when they didn't have anything stocked anywhere across the country did the supplier bother to mention I could get a 5000 ft spool for $800.... point being 5000 feet is a common spool size.

When I ordered fiber, it came off a 42,000 foot spool

sk1939
Premium Member
join:2010-10-23
Frederick, MD

sk1939

Premium Member

Fiber is a little different, since most fiber is runs that measure in hundreds of feet, if not hundreds of yards. Since copper is limited to 100m at the most, it makes less sense to have a giant 5 mile long roll of Cat wire.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to ImpldConsent

Premium Member

to ImpldConsent
said by ImpldConsent:

I LOVE this idea and you are making it a reality; however, you and I both know it's a bit overkill. You did bring up a GREAT idea though, the CAT6/RG6 above the doors is brilliant. If anyone has tried to retro-fit at the corners, y'all understand. Hell, what's 10K' of cabling? Two rolls? Don't worry about the nay-sayers, I love this. Best now at the build rather than later when the good-idea fairy pokes around. XD

Thanks for your support, I know it's overkill. The sheet rock goes up on Wednesday through Friday in the addition. Just before sheet rock goes up, Dish network is arriving to install 6 Joey's and 2 Hoppers. Each child will have a Joey in their room, connected up to a Hopper with integrated sling in the living room.

In addition to the Joey, each child has 1 PS3 with PS2 capability, 1 smart tv, 1 Xbox 360, 1 PC, 1 Obitalk or Ooma device for land phone calls, 1 Wii with USB wired Ethernet and eventually one Wii-U. We also have basic local cable from Comcast viewable via a HD homerun prime via Xbox 360's. The Joey requires both an Ethernet and a Coax connection as does the Hopper which will be in the living room of the addition.

As best I can determine each child will require 6 active Ethernet devices with current hardware and one active Coax cable. Unused cables will not be exposed to the room and will have blanks placed in the outlet cover.

If a Wii-U is added, each child will want 7 Ethernet cables. My expectation is sooner or later someone will want an 8th, 9th and 10th and we'll try to re-arrange furniture. It seems there is almost always a need (new DVR, whatever) for something new to be network attached.

jig
join:2001-01-05
Hacienda Heights, CA

jig to ImpldConsent

to ImpldConsent
said by ImpldConsent:

said by pandora:

Above each exterior door is both an RG 6 and a Cat 6 (allows me to run an IP or Coax camera over the doors).

I LOVE this idea and you are making it a reality

i mis-read this originally, i thought it was over the bedroom doors.

just as an aside - good security placement for cameras is typically away from the doorway entrance. less chance of being seen, usually harder access for someone to mess with before they take the house, and typically a better view of the area around the house (right above the door is typically very narrow field of view). you may want to run some cables to more clandestine areas around the upper eaves of the house, as well as to somewhere where you can bury a cable or two to run to a camera mounted in a nearby tree.

pandora - what are you using for a headend for the hdhomerun to get the signal and channel changing to the tvs?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by jig:

pandora - what are you using for a headend for the hdhomerun to get the signal and channel changing to the tvs?

re the security cameras they are to the side of the exterior doors. Also when the alarm is on, 3 interior cameras will be facing doors and several first floor windows. 2 cameras will be observing the stairway. there are other security capabilities being installed, but those won't be introduced into this discussion.

As for hd homerun prime it is activated with a Comcast card to descramble the channels (note the HDhomerun is not the same as the HDhomerun prime, the prime supports a cable card to descramble) ... a 1U Windows 7 server running Blue Iris and Homesser will have Windows media center with the hdhomerun software installed. Xbox 360's are able to display recorded data from the HD homerun prime. I have a local channel subscription on my Comcast business account which costs $5 per month. The server uses an I7 3770K with 16 GB of RAM and is underclocked to lower power consumption.

Today, I started a change of satellite provider, from DirecTV to Dish network. Dish will be installing 2 Hoppers with integrated sling (this is the new CES 2013 updated Hopper) and 6 Joey's allowing each child to have a Joey with a Hopper in their shared living room.

Another Hopper with integrated sling will be installed in the master bedroom, and 3 satellite Joey's will be installed in the legacy home to manage viewing off the master bedroom Hopper.

The Windows server for prime, has a 128 GB boot drive and a 3 TB mechanical drive to hold video storage.

Is that helpful? Besides the above, a legacy X10 network (which is being phased out) is being updated with Insteon and Z-Wave devices. A security protocol interface is also being installed which will allow my home automation system to interact with the alarm system.
medbuyer
join:2003-11-20
Memphis, TN

medbuyer to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

In addition to the Joey, each child has 1 PS3 with PS2 capability, 1 smart tv, 1 Xbox 360, 1 PC, 1 Obitalk or Ooma device for land phone calls, 1 Wii with USB wired Ethernet and eventually one Wii-U. We also have basic local cable from Comcast viewable via a HD homerun prime via Xbox 360's. The Joey requires both an Ethernet and a Coax connection as does the Hopper which will be in the living room of the addition.

As best I can determine each child will require 6 active Ethernet devices with current hardware and one active Coax cable. Unused cables will not be exposed to the room and will have blanks placed in the outlet cover.

If a Wii-U is added, each child will want 7 Ethernet cables. My expectation is sooner or later someone will want an 8th, 9th and 10th and we'll try to re-arrange furniture. It seems there is almost always a need (new DVR, whatever) for something new to be network attached.

each child has one of those tech toys?

PS3
Smart TV
Xbox 360
PC
Obitalk / Ooma
Wii
Wii-U

if you don't mind me asking, how many kids do you have?

can't they converge in one room and play there instead of having to wire all of their rooms and risk the possibility of them just being in their room all the time?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

if you don't mind me asking, how many kids do you have?

can't they converge in one room and play there instead of having to wire all of their rooms and risk the possibility of them just being in their room all the time?

In 3 common areas outside of bedrooms there is a super-set of the capability within each bedroom. The kids can congregate corporeally, virtually, or play by themselves in private rooms or in open living areas. It is often fun to see what they come up with.

IMO many people haven't learned master technology and instead are subordinate to or worse clueless about it. Having access to technology and knowing how to use it appropriately and to fit it into a life, are learning issues that have been ignored IMO.

I've seen so many technology starved kids get an X-Box 360 and Call of Duty then vanish unsupervised into a private bedroom for long periods of time unsupervised. My kids have access to any game they want, none have found any FPS of interest. Generally I'll try and take time the kids activity several times an afternoon if they are home.

Access doesn't equal addition or isolation, my children have been immersed in IT for many years, it is like having a fridge, dishwasher or TV. All my kids have had cell phones since first grade. None have been lost or damaged. Currently all children have smart phones.

My belief is many parents aren't involved in teaching children how to manage the technology they encounter and how to adapt as it evolves. This may be due to the majority of parents being technologically behind their own kids.

My youngest child has been with dslreports for 5 years. His anniversary is early next month, and it'll be 6. My oldest minor child has been with this site for a decade.

So far, the thing they liked best in this thread was the joke about the worlds most interesting man and 28 drops per room. My son re-created it and put it by his bedroom door.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
·Metronet

CylonRed

MVM

Yep - at 46 I am an old man. I think they are WAYYYYYY to immersed in technology but I suppose if you afford it. I would LOVE to know what they post here at 1 year old on DSLR.... I would bet they had an account but they didn't do anything on DSLR for a good while.

Of course - I would not be able to save for retirement if I had to have that outlay of cash.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

1 edit

1 recommendation

medbuyer to pandora

to pandora
said by pandora:

In 3 common areas outside of bedrooms there is a super-set of the capability within each bedroom. The kids can congregate corporeally, virtually, or play by themselves in private rooms or in open living areas. It is often fun to see what they come up with.

a super set of what? the game consoles?
said by pandora:

IMO many people haven't learned master technology and instead are subordinate to or worse clueless about it. Having access to technology and knowing how to use it appropriately and to fit it into a life, are learning issues that have been ignored IMO.

I've seen so many technology starved kids get an X-Box 360 and Call of Duty then vanish unsupervised into a private bedroom for long periods of time unsupervised. My kids have access to any game they want, none have found any FPS of interest. Generally I'll try and take time the kids activity several times an afternoon if they are home.

master technology? can you expound on this? I do love technology but I don't make it dictate how or what I want to learn.

IMO, kids that starve to play an xbox isn't technology starved but rather acting like kids, who wants to play video games. Just like you when you were a kid.

please don't confuse technology starvation as wanting to play the xbox...I honestly don't see the relation.

I guess having a dad who loves to play online games sees it that way...
said by pandora:

Access doesn't equal addition or isolation, my children have been immersed in IT for many years, it is like having a fridge, dishwasher or TV. All my kids have had cell phones since first grade. None have been lost or damaged. Currently all children have smart phones.

My belief is many parents aren't involved in teaching children how to manage the technology they encounter and how to adapt as it evolves. This may be due to the majority of parents being technologically behind their own kids.

your kids have been immersed in IT just because they have smartphones?

if they were writing code, creating websites, creating apps for apple or Linux or Android, helping you layout your house network etc..., then they are interested in IT. Not because they have smartphones and know how to work it, doesn't mean they ARE in IT.

I do agree that at some point parents need to educate their children with how to use / handle and or harness the availability of technology around them, and not just smartphones. But I think giving your first grader kids cellphones isn't really a smart move.

I would rather go bike with them or play a board game, heck doing their homework with them sometimes is so much better. I bet you, there are only a handful of parents who do this....

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k

Premium Member

said by medbuyer:

if they were writing code, creating websites, creating apps for apple or Linux or Android, helping you layout your house network etc..., then they are interested in IT. Not because they have smartphones and know how to work it, doesn't mean they ARE in IT.

Hey, not just smartphones, but XBoxes and Playstations, too!
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by garys_2k:

said by medbuyer:

Hey, not just smartphones, but XBoxes and Playstations, too!

my bad kind sir...lol
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to CylonRed

Premium Member

to CylonRed
said by CylonRed:

I would LOVE to know what they post here at 1 year old on DSLR.... I would bet they had an account but they didn't do anything on DSLR for a good while.

Of course - I would not be able to save for retirement if I had to have that outlay of cash.

My oldest minor child is a bit over 16 and her account is about 10 years on dslreports. Your numbers differ from mine.

My lifestyle is within my means.
pandora

pandora to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
I don't believe with your mistake on so much we have common ground for discussion. Sorry.
medbuyer
Memphis, TN

medbuyer

said by pandora:

said by CylonRed:

I would LOVE to know what they post here at 1 year old on DSLR.... I would bet they had an account but they didn't do anything on DSLR for a good while.

My oldest minor child is a bit over 16 and her account is about 10 years on dslreports. Your numbers differ from mine.

My lifestyle is within my means.

so basically you or your kid registered here on DSLreports when he / she was only 6? pls. don't tell me your kid is into IT because of this as well.
said by pandora:

I don't believe with your mistake on so much we have common ground for discussion. Sorry.

what mistake?

with all these tech talk about learning to use technology and all, you can't even create a proper sentence that makes sense...

will correct it for you...

"With your mistakes, I don't believe we have any common ground for a discussion. Sorry"

robbin
Mod
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

robbin

Mod

said by medbuyer:

so basically you or your kid registered here on DSLreports when he / she was only 6? pls. don't tell me your kid is into IT because of this as well.

I don't believe there are any rules regarding age of members. And what does this have to do with home improvement or miles of Cat6 in a home?
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora to medbuyer

Premium Member

to medbuyer
said by medbuyer:

I registered each child for dslreports at about age 6 yes, at least the currently minor children.

Over the years they have learned to use a number of sites. As to into IT, the opposite, they enjoy technology when they like it. Though they understand IT as a part of their life.

Hagar
join:2004-10-31
Sunnyvale, CA

1 recommendation

Hagar

Pandora, good for you that you share your interest with your kids and try to go all out for the things that matter to you.

Too many people play is safe and never try to push their personal limits.

I understand people who try to understand and ask questions but I do not understand people who try to judge or question what you do.

Here is a fun read, I think he is a kindred spirit to you Pandora
»icrontic.com/article/man ··· on_tower