spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

gamer

@184.20.147.x

Trying to optimize WildBlue for gaming and looking for other

Trying to optimize WildBlue for gaming and possibly looking for other internet providers.

I moved to a rural area and was in dismay to find there is no DSL or Cable. I got satellite but I'm wondering if there is any other alternatives such as BPL or something because I'm having trouble getting what I want out of this service.

Basically for most games theres a 5 sec delay and VoIP is choppy (I can hear them but they can't hear me). For games like Black Ops 2 I can't even get into a matchmaking lobby.

I was well aware there would be a 2-3 second delay before getting satellite but this is worse than that even.

I tried setting up a Static IP so I can port forward but had no luck there either. I figured if I could open the ports for Xbox Live (3047 TCP/UDP) that may help a bit in the finding lobbies, etc. but when I set up a static IP the connection just flat out stops working so I have to switch it back to dynamic.

I know wildblue doesn't allow static IP'ing but many providers say that and I've never had a problem before. I'm not sure if I did something wrong in the setup or it's a wildblue thing. Perhaps setting up a Static IP wouldn't fix anything anyway.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Btw the area is Culpeper, VA. I'm wondering how I would go about finding another provider if this one can't deliver.

silbaco
Premium
join:2009-08-03
USA

BPL is dead. It has way too many interference problems and offers relatively poor speeds with a fairly high cost to deploy. The most you will probably be able to get is wireless from a WISP or from a cell carrier. Unfortunately, not much else exists.

Your latency should be less than 1 second, but still too high for most gaming.

wm4bama

join:2012-05-10
Goodwater, AL
reply to gamer

Your geographical area has ViaSat-1 spot-beams available which means you should get Exede12 from WB, and average latency is 600-700ms, much less than 1 second.

What plan do you have and who did you buy through, WB direct, Dish or NRTC co-op?

Also, if you are using a router, make sure nothing else is using your internet service while playing games...you need the full bandwidth for gaming...shut down your VOIP while gaming and connect directly to the modem with your game console and try it. Don't mess with the IP's...use dynamic assignments (DHCP) on all devices.
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

DrStrangLov

join:2012-03-28
reply to gamer

What brand/model of router?

DrStrangLov

reply to gamer

Can you do this dos command?

tracert 24.25.224.142

What city name is on 6th hop? If Phoenix, is there a game server in LA? Use it.

BigVe

join:2005-07-15
Gulliver, MI
reply to gamer

Go for dial-up if available.Way better ping (300ms)than you will EVER get from any Sat

gamer

@184.20.147.x
reply to DrStrangLov

Salt Lake City on the 6th hop.

Router is Netgear WNR2000v3

gamer

@184.20.147.x
reply to wm4bama

said by wm4bama:

Your geographical area has ViaSat-1 spot-beams available which means you should get Exede12 from WB, and average latency is 600-700ms, much less than 1 second.

What plan do you have and who did you buy through, WB direct, Dish or NRTC co-op?

Also, if you are using a router, make sure nothing else is using your internet service while playing games...you need the full bandwidth for gaming...shut down your VOIP while gaming and connect directly to the modem with your game console and try it. Don't mess with the IP's...use dynamic assignments (DHCP) on all devices.

It purchased directly through Wild blue but we also have DirecTV. Should I have bought it through directv? Also, yes it's excede12.

wm4bama

Goodwater, AL

No, contracting directly with Wildblue is the right option..and you have the fastest satellite internet plan available..
--
Exede12, ViaSat-1, beam 342, Albuquerque Gateway, Denver AcceleNet servers

DrStrangLov

reply to gamer

said by gamer :

Salt Lake City on the 6th hop.

If you have the option, use a game server located nearest to SLC..

gamer

@184.20.147.x

How would I do that exactly? Sorry

DrStrangLov

said by gamer :

How would I do that exactly?

I"m not a gamer, but if your game server is located in different cities, then its a configuration issue...directing your game device to use this/that server...config menu.

Check a game's web-site, and search for "server"

I know Dallas hosts a number of servers that have games, but I would like to think other cities, like LA, NY, etc., may also.
Expand your moderator at work

courty3210

join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE
reply to gamer

Re: Trying to optimize WildBlue for gaming and looking for other

Unfortunately you're attempting to do the specific thing satellite can't do.

A good FPS game experience require pings sub 100ms 1/10th of a second.

Video Chat/VoIP (ichat, skype) should work with a hardly noticable delay even with the 600ms ping.

I agree with the previous statement that a 4g wireless (Verizon LTE) connection is your next best option if available. They have sub 100ms pings and great upload/download speeds, but similar caps and no Late Night Free Zone.

You can play certain games with exede, they just can't require a syncronous type connection.

OldSatUser

Fresno, OH

You are exactly right courty. No sense in beating a dead horse. First person shooters (the most popular online games that are played) simply won't work with satellite due to the high latency it has. Therefore...this is no "solution" to "optimize" Exede for FPS gaming...no matter what some might state or believe.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
join:2006-10-19
USA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat

You cannot play any game over satellite that is latency sensitive. It cannot be done. The only games you can play are turn based/rts games, racing games and some MMOs. I feel your pain, I live in the same general area, so maybe I can help you out a little bit.

There is a WISP in the area, check them out and see if you can get a signal from them. They aren't very fast (1.5mbps I believe) but you will be able to game. They're called Virginia Broadband.

»vabb.com/

If you can't get that you still have some options. The Culpeper County Library in Culpeper has an excellent and blazingly fast internet connection. I use it occasionally to get around my exede cap for some large files, and it's good for gaming if you need an FPS fix. You need a decent laptop for that though.

The next one if more of a future option... If you can get verizon 3G cell coverage it's likely it will become LTE over the next year if they follow their schedule. Verizon has probably the best coverage in this area.

Hope this helps you.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
USA
Reviews:
·exede by ViaSat
reply to BigVe

said by BigVe:

Go for dial-up if available.Way better ping (

Did that for years, totally not worth it.

Especially around where he lives, there are still places where the dial up can't run faster than 24k still.

courty3210

join:2004-03-29
Wilmington, DE
reply to gamer

So I hooked the Wii up to the Wifi network (which is connected to Exede). Mario Kart plays really good online (Nintendo WFC) I don't even notice any lag. It's not a twitch shooter, but it plays really well.

DrModem
Trust Your Doctor
Premium
USA

Racing games play well over almost any latency because they rely on lap times, which cannot be affected by lag.