pandora
Premium Member
join:2001-06-01
Outland

pandora to jchambers28

Premium Member

to jchambers28

Re: [Parts Check] new build

If you live near a Microcenter, the in store price for an I7 3770K is $329. I'd rather pay $20-$30 more for an I7 vs the I5. Otherwise it looks good to me.

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28

Premium Member

not going to do me much good. There is no micro center here or anything like that here at all. buying online is only choice for pc parts.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok to pandora

Premium Member

to pandora
said by pandora:

If you live near a Microcenter, the in store price for an I7 3770K is $329. I'd rather pay $20-$30 more for an I7 vs the I5. Otherwise it looks good to me.

You mean $229.

»i7-3770k $229.99 at Micro Center, instore pickup only..

The i5-3570k is $170, and is a superior choice over the i7 for gaming (fewer threads = higher overclock with less heat = better gaming performance)
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

said by pandora:

You mean $229.

»i7-3770k $229.99 at Micro Center, instore pickup only..

The i5-3570k is $170, and is a superior choice over the i7 for gaming (fewer threads = higher overclock with less heat = better gaming performance)

Sorry, you are correct, $229. I bought 2 in the past month, they nice, but not different from the older I7's we have in terms of performance, they do run cooler however.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

One caveat with Ivy Bridge that I have discovered is that the included cooler is really sub-par and can lead to instability (in my case it was i5-3450 in a Rosewill Challenger). Something as affordable as the Hyper 212+ (~$20) is enough to cool it efficiently, but the included cooler really is insufficient even at stock speeds and can lead to lock-ups and shutdowns.
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

One caveat with Ivy Bridge that I have discovered is that the included cooler is really sub-par and can lead to instability (in my case it was i5-3450 in a Rosewill Challenger). Something as affordable as the Hyper 212+ (~$20) is enough to cool it efficiently, but the included cooler really is insufficient even at stock speeds and can lead to lock-ups and shutdowns.

I use one 3770K underclocked on my server. It doesn't need overclocking at all. On the desktop 3770K, I've been experimenting with the 4000 GPU a bit and measuring game performance, overclocking, heat and power to see how many games I could play and how well with some GPU overclocking. The goal is to not only see how good or bad the 4000 is with different games, but to see how hot and how much power it consumes when busy and overclocked.

The server is more mundane. I want it to just draw about 20-30 watts.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

You should look into Haswell--there are going to be some really nifty low-power chips coming out around June 2nd. The max TDP of the 3770K is 77w, the Core i7-4765T (4 cores, 8 threads, 2.0 GHz base, 3.0 GHz boost) will have a TDP of 35w.

Here's the leaked chart of the desktop lineup: »www.zdnet.com/leaked-cha ··· 0008704/
pandora
Premium Member
Outland

pandora

Premium Member

said by Krisnatharok:

You should look into Haswell--there are going to be some really nifty low-power chips coming out around June 2nd. The max TDP of the 3770K is 77w, the Core i7-4765T (4 cores, 8 threads, 2.0 GHz base, 3.0 GHz boost) will have a TDP of 35w.

Here's the leaked chart of the desktop lineup: »www.zdnet.com/leaked-cha ··· 0008704/

I started looking for an Atom CPU for my server, but they aren't powerful enough for the software being used (Homeseer and Blue Iris on Windows 7).

The 3770K underclocked is relatively decent at low power and has a decent integrated GPU if needed. I was able to put it in a 1U case with a 1U fan, and it's been quiet and stable. I had to replace the loud case fans.

I know overclocking is the primary use for a 3770K, but underclocking sometimes has an appeal. My motherboard reports the 3770K is usually using 5 watts. The entire server typically runs at 30 watts, but will occasionally spike to 60 watts if busy (say when using another PC on our LAN to review Blue Iris, or when programing new automation events).

jchambers28
Premium Member
join:2007-05-12
Peculiar, MO

jchambers28 to Krisnatharok

Premium Member

to Krisnatharok
and a new motherboard to go with it. 1155 is dead in the water.

Krisnatharok
PC Builder, Gamer
Premium Member
Earth Orbit

Krisnatharok

Premium Member

Well yeah, Haswell will be LGA 1150, but Ivy Bridge will be sufficiently powerful enough to last anyone who bought into it 4-5 years (that's what I'm shooting for with a new build).