spc
Search similar:

uniqs

Cke R Ro
@rdsnet.ro

Cke R Ro

Anon

[WIN7] Can't change number of processors in MSCONFIG

HI! I have unlocked the AMD Sempron 140 to AMD Athlon II X2 4400e Processor.
In Device Manager I can see two processors: »postimage.org/image/yvq9w64ch/
BUT, in TASK MANAGER I can see just one processor: »postimage.org/image/6xoi7bp07/
And, In MSCONFIG I don't have option to change number of processors: »postimage.org/image/iu1xl1tgr/
Yesterday I've installed F1 2011 and it gives me an error : "Your CPU is single core and doesn't support hyper-threading.
What should I do to play this game? What should I do to can change number of processors in MSCONFIG.?
PLEASE! I need help! I am desperate. I can't play the games I like .
ANDY...

jaa
Premium Member
join:2000-06-13

jaa

Premium Member

I've never upgraded a processor with Win7 - perhaps it requires a reinstall to go from single-core to multi-core?
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to Cke R Ro

Premium Member

to Cke R Ro

MSCONFIG has never done anything (despite internet opinions to the contrary) except allow you to run using fewer processors than are recognized by the OS - typically for testing. Forget it. Clear the 'number of processors' checkbox (which means: use all of them) and leave it alone. It's nothing to do with this.

Task Manager is capable of viewing CPU use as a single graph or as a graph per CPU. See the 'view' menu. The fact that there's only one graph doesn't really tell us anything.

So, the question is, how many CPUs does your OS support?

In device manager, what do you see if you right-click on each processor in turn and choose 'properties'? Does it say 'device is working properly' on each?

If I follow you correctly, this 'unlocking' turns something sold as a single-core CPU into a dual-core CPU? Was it a single-core CPU when the OS was installed? That might be the problem: you might have ended up with a HAL that is incapable of multiprocessor support (it's slightly more efficient and it always used to be the case that you only got multiprocessor support if you needed it, though I am not sure Windows still works that way).

PeeWee
Premium Member
join:2001-10-21
Madera, CA

PeeWee to Cke R Ro

Premium Member

to Cke R Ro
I have WI=in7 running AMD 4200 x2 64 Msconfig sees only one processor and device manager sees two. That seems to be as it should be.
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus to Cke R Ro

Premium Member

to Cke R Ro
The processor is sold as a single core processor, but on the die there might be more than one, however it wasn't completely functional so it was disabled, then sold as a single core that was completely functional. You can't be sure that even when enabled that won't cause severe stability problems, it's not like they purposefully take a good processor, and sell it as a single core. Some of those four core processors were downgraded to two cores, and some people have been able to activate a third processor, however all four cores were not stable. So if this is the same die as the x4, and three cores were turned off, there is a reason, time to upgrade.

If the second core is entirely a virtual core then it might not show up at all.

Cke R Ro
@rdsnet.ro

Cke R Ro to dave

Anon

to dave
Yes, when I've installed Windows 7 I had a single core processor (AMD Sempron 140 ~ 2,7 Ghz).
And in Device Manager at Processors's Proprietes it say "The device is working properly" On each.
Do I have to reinstall Windows 7 to use this Dual-Core processor?
Or I Should buy a Dual-Core AMD?
Andy...
Gem
Premium Member
join:2005-09-10

2 edits

Gem to Cke R Ro

Premium Member

to Cke R Ro
What you are seeing in sysconfig appears to be normal as PeeWee said. I'm seeing the same thing here.

I'm on a quad core. Four cores appear in task manage but only one Processor appears in sysconfig.

If you want to which from one core to two and back again, you need to do that in the advanced selection options of your bios.

If you are seeing only one core in task manager something is indeed wrong. Was the second core enabled in your bios when you snapped the task manager screen shot? If so, then as BZ says, your second core may be strong enough to enable, but not strong enough to be useful.

Also, if your games aren't running properly it may be because it appears that Windows 7 hasn't been activated.

============================================

As to your questions, it might be worth a try to reinstall Windows 7 with your second core enabled in the bios before you do so.

Then see if it will run your games properly before activating Windows, especially if you may be replacing the processor.

If the unlocked Sempron 140 won't run the games you want to play, then yes, the next step would be to buy a new full dual or quad core AMD processor. If you do that, be sure to get one that is compatible with your AMD motherboard.

The Sempron 140 is an AM3 processor. That means it will run on AM2+ and AM3 motherboards. If your motherboard is an AM3 version, you'll need to be sure to purchase an AM3 processor to run on it.

If your motherboard is an AM2+ motherboard, your new processor can be either an AM2+ version or an early AM3 version as most AM2+ motherboards would run with either version processor, although not the later version AMD processors.

Is all that clear?

Cke R Ro
@rdsnet.ro

Cke R Ro

Anon

I have AS Rock N68C-S UCC(mainboard)
1 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 4350
----------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ 2.1 Ghz (Socket AM2;
Cache: 2 x 512 KB; FSB: 1000 MHz) would run on my computer if I buy it?
BlitzenZeus
Burnt Out Cynic
Premium Member
join:2000-01-13

BlitzenZeus

Premium Member

I still wouldn't call it a dual core yet, you don't know if the second core is really functional.

Your computer doesn't quite meet the minimum requirements for the game either. The with entire combination of your cpu, video card, and system memory if it did run it wouldn't run well at all.

A brand new i3 system with onboard intel gpu would smoke that machine, and that's something I would buy for non-gaming use.

Cke R Ro
@rdsnet.ro

Cke R Ro

Anon

I wanna say if that processor would run on my mainboard, not the game!
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

A64 4000 X2's came in Socket 939 and AM2/AM2+ varieties, if I remember correctly.

First go to ASRock's website to check the processor compatibility list for your mobo.

Then go to a site lite CPU world or AMD itself to see which version of the A64 X2 you have.

Then again if you are sure it's a socket AM2 you can skip that last step.

Also, you need much more ram to run W7 64 bit installs. You might want to upgrade that too.
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to Cke R Ro

Premium Member

to Cke R Ro
Try booting any live-OS system from DVD (e.g., Ubuntu) and see what opinion it gives you on the number of CPUs present.

CylonRed
MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County

CylonRed to Cke R Ro

MVM

to Cke R Ro
quote:
BUT, in TASK MANAGER I can see just one processor:
Did you go to View - one graph per CPU and see if it changes then?
Gem
Premium Member

Gem to Cke R Ro

Premium Member

to Cke R Ro
said by Cke R Ro :

I have AS Rock N68C-S UCC(mainboard)
1 GB RAM and ATI Radeon HD 4350
----------------------------------------
AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual-Core 4000+ 2.1 Ghz (Socket AM2;
Cache: 2 x 512 KB; FSB: 1000 MHz) would run on my computer if I buy it?

This appears to be the supported processor list for your motherboard:

hxxp://www.asrock.com/mb/cpu.asp?Model=N68C-S%20UCC

(Replace the "x's" with "t's" and paste into your browser to view.)

It looks like your motherboard is an AM2+ model that supports a wide variety of AMD processors.

If the Athlon A64 X2 4000+ you are condsering buying is on the list (as it appears to be), then it should run on that motherboard if it is the exact motherboard that you have. You'd have to confirm all this to be sure.

As BZ said earlier, your system is way below the minimum requirements stated for the game that you mention in your original post.

hxxp://www.game-debate.com/games/index.php?g_id=1744&game=F1+2011
Expand your moderator at work

Cke R Ro
@rdsnet.ro

Cke R Ro to CylonRed

Anon

to CylonRed

Re: [WIN7] Can't change number of processors in MSCONFIG

Yes, I can see 2 graphs now.
Thanks.
But F1 2011 still doesn't recognize my dual - core.
What should I do?
Should I reinstall the windows 7?
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

If task manager shows two CPU graphs, then the operating system is aware you have two CPUs. "F1 2011" (whatever that is) appears to have problems comprehending reality, but that's probably not the operating system's fault.

It's possible there's some record of the system configuration at install time, and "F1 2011" is assuming that says what the system configuration is now. In that case, reinstalling would fix the problem. Does "F1 2011" have a support web site where you could ask what the hell it looks at to make its incorrect decisions?

Cke R Ro
@rdsnet.ro

Cke R Ro

Anon

Solved it!
I've unchecked the box "Number of Processors", I've restarted my PC, and after that I've checked the box "Number of Processors" in MSCONFIG and gave me the option to use the second core.
Now F1 2011, F1 2010 and Fifa 13 runs without problems.
Thanks for your help guys.
Andy...
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

If you were merely experimenting with checking the box, then fine.

Otherwise leave 'number of processors' unchecked. It will never ever ever ever ever allow you to use more processors than were detected by the OS. It is there to *reduce* the number, for testing.

Checking it only leads to problems where you wonder why you're not using all CPUs.

Dustyn
Premium Member
join:2003-02-26
Ontario, CAN
·Carry Telecom
·TekSavvy Cable
Asus GT-AX11000
Technicolor TC4400

1 recommendation

Dustyn

Premium Member

said by dave:

It will never ever ever ever ever allow you to use more processors than were detected by the OS.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v= ··· 4a5dq7xU
Gem
Premium Member

Gem

Premium Member

Hoot, Dustyn.

Glad you got it working Cke R Ro.

Let us know how your game plays with it. IIRC, your system is still below the minimum requirements the game says that it needs to run properly.

Is your 1GB of ram system ram or video ram? So long as your system ram is much more than that you may be okay. Or perhaps you have gotten the game to run on only 1GB. If so, that's great!