roc5955
Premium Member
join:2005-11-26
Rosendale, NY

roc5955

Premium Member

[TWC] What is the REAL reason...

Why TWC dropped Current TV?
Is is because it was purchased by Al Jazerra, and they are afraid that their viewers might get news from something other than the biased US mainstream media?

Perhaps someone could tell me the REAL reason?

And don't give me the bull hockey that they are "arranging an agreement!"
Happydude32
Premium Member
join:2005-07-16

1 recommendation

Happydude32

Premium Member

Low viewership.

No reason to pay for a channel and waste bandwidth for a channel nobody ever watches. I for one am absolutely thrilled that it is gone and ecstatic that I won’t be paying Time Warner to carry this channel most people didn’t even know existed. It was a useless channel that I would tune into once in a while for comedic reasons when I needed a laugh and there was no good standup routines on Comedy Central or HBO Comedy. I’m not sure if DirecTV still carries current, I do know they have FSTV, which is an even funnier channel to watch.

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
said by roc5955:

Is is because it was purchased by Al Jazerra, and they are afraid that their viewers might get news from something other than the biased US mainstream media?

They needed current's slot to add Glenn Beck's Blaze channel.

roc5955
Premium Member
Rosendale, NY

1 recommendation

roc5955 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Low viewership my posterior!

Style, WE, Destination America, and Hallmark have lower viewership COMBINED!
roc5955

roc5955 to juilinsandar

Premium Member

to juilinsandar
said by juilinsandar:

They needed current's slot to add Glenn Beck's Blaze channel.

Glenn Beck should be lucky he's not in the Crow Bar Hotel!

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

1 recommendation

bluepoint to Happydude32

to Happydude32
said by Happydude32:

Low viewership.

No reason to pay for a channel and waste bandwidth for a channel nobody ever watches. I for one am absolutely thrilled that it is gone and ecstatic that I won’t be paying Time Warner to carry this channel most people didn’t even know existed.

You think you'll get a rebate from TWC by removing the channel from the lineup? So far all I see are increases..
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
Who cares. It's gone. Too bad, so sad. Didn't that asshat manwhore ex-governor of NY, Idiot Spitzor have a show on their?
Happydude32

Happydude32 to bluepoint

Premium Member

to bluepoint
said by bluepoint:

said by Happydude32:

Low viewership.

No reason to pay for a channel and waste bandwidth for a channel nobody ever watches. I for one am absolutely thrilled that it is gone and ecstatic that I won’t be paying Time Warner to carry this channel most people didn’t even know existed.

You think you'll get a rebate from TWC by removing the channel from the lineup? So far all I see are increases..

Don't need any rebate. Not have that trash on my cable service is worth it to me!

Current is Gone! Yes! YES!!! YES!!!!

bluepoint
join:2001-03-24

bluepoint

said by Happydude32:

Don't need any rebate. Not have that trash on my cable service is worth it to me!

Current is Gone! Yes! YES!!! YES!!!!

But that is one of TWC's reason on why they're dropping the channel, to keep the monthly fee low.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

I'm not playing your games. I know what you're doing and you know what you're doing. But personally speaking, I have not had a single price increase in the two plus years that I’ve been a Signature Home subscriber on the core package. Infact with the advent of the Premium View add on, my cable bill has decreased $17/month.

Money savings isn’t everything. Time Warner likely paid a dime for this channel. I’m sure if you call up and complain they’ll give you some type of temporary credit or HBO or something, that is equal to a lifetime of savings by not carrying this low budge lame inde POS channel. When I first saw Current was being dropped, I got up an did an Irish jig and blasted the song ‘Kiss Him Good-Bye’ by Steam.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

The most viewers Current ever got during prime time was 42,000 viewers. As far as Hallmark channel's ratings, they were huge.

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.co ··· /156454/

As far as the top 96 cable channels in the 3rd quarter, Current ranked 92 out of 96. »www.scribd.com/doc/10884 ··· ll-Cable

In short, informercials stations were beating Current resoundingly. Remember that everytime you watch the Shark vacuum cleaner commericial. More people watched the Shark vacuum than anything presented on Current 7 to 1.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
join:2001-11-25
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
said by roc5955:

Low viewership my posterior!

Style, WE, Destination America, and Hallmark have lower viewership COMBINED!

I assume you have some figures to back this claim?

Hob

chamberc
Premium Member
join:2008-08-05
Addison, TX

1 recommendation

chamberc to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
said by roc5955:

LOL. Nothing is more based than a religious terrorist network.

roc5955
Premium Member
Rosendale, NY

1 recommendation

roc5955

Premium Member

said by chamberc:

LOL. Nothing is more based than a religious terrorist network.

Then according to that statement, they should take off the Catholic Channel, and all the Fox Propaganda channels.

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

"Then according to that statement, they should take off the Catholic Channel, and all the Fox Propaganda channels."

Really, since when has the Fox corporation and the catholic church been known as a terrorist network?

Al Jazerra programing is available on line. Enjoy.

Hob
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
So where is the proof that shows Current pulling in the ratings?

MeInDallas
join:2001-08-17
Dallas, TX

MeInDallas to roc5955

to roc5955
I always think its funny how people always knock Fox News Channel, but all it ever seems to do is push their ratings higher and higher and higher

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.co ··· le-news/

Bucolic
@rr.com

Bucolic to chamberc

Anon

to chamberc
quote:
"Nothing is more based (sic) than a religious terrorist network.
Well, MSNBC would rank pretty close. I suspect they applaud Al Jazeera's move and Gore's $100 million profit from the folks in oil-rich Qatar.

btB
@rr.com

btB to roc5955

Anon

to roc5955
The real reason is due to 3 factors: not so great ratings compared to what TW thought it was worth. Of course if Current were free, it would still be there on TW. Second reason is that Current was independent and not lumped with some media company's other channels. So, it has no leverage to stay on the system as-is or even being rebranded. Lastly, Current was sold which gave TW the opportunity to drop the channel because the terms of agreement (ownership) changed.

Honestly, I doubt if any pay tv providers gives a rat's ass what is on a channel as long as they see some potential benefit to airing it. If I gave any provider enough money, I am sure they would give me a channel even if they knew I would air nothing but nonsense.

roc5955
Premium Member
Rosendale, NY

roc5955 to MeInDallas

Premium Member

to MeInDallas
said by MeInDallas:

I always think its funny how people always knock Fox News Channel, but all it ever seems to do is push their ratings higher and higher and higher

»tvbythenumbers.zap2it.co ··· le-news/

In case you haven't noticed, the Fox Propaganda Channel's ratings have gone down since Election Day! Hannity, and his hamsters are going into the crapper! »www.nationalmemo.com/fox ··· plummet/
roc5955

roc5955 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
Where's the proof that the Hallmark Channel is pulling in ratings?

hobgoblin
Sortof Agoblin
Premium Member
Orchard Park, NY

hobgoblin

Premium Member

said by roc5955:

Links are in the thread.

hob

juilinsandar
Texas Gooner
Premium Member
join:2000-07-17
San Benito, TX

juilinsandar to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
You can't beat those romantic movies on Hallmark, especially the Christmas themed ones during the holidays.

roc5955
Premium Member
Rosendale, NY

roc5955

Premium Member

said by juilinsandar:

You can't beat those romantic movies on Hallmark, especially the Christmas themed ones during the holidays.

Especially if one is in need for a substitute for Syrup of Ipecac!
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32 to roc5955

Premium Member

to roc5955
said by roc5955:

Well, like Hob said, the links posted above are a good place to start. So again, please post some proof of Current having some good ratings that warrant them being on the line up. Because having it be near dead last on a list of upwards of 100 cable channels doesn’t say much to your point. You are clearly in denial about this channel. And whatever you have to say about the rating of Fox News Channel that is spewed by an extreme left wing website is not really relevant and is blatantly false. The editorial you linked to talks about the decline in ratings on Hannity. Looking at Zap 2 To It, a trusted, non-biased source, and randomly picking three days post-election, Hannity blows away the other cable news networks in the 9PM time slot. Ratings may have declined since the election, that is to be expected, I’m sure all of the cable news networks experienced it

You initiated the challenge, I have nothing to prove, although if I did, it would have already been proven above. So the ball is in your court, for the third time, can you please post some creditable information about how good the ratings on Current are? The ratings of Fox News are not in question, so don’t ignore this request again by posting a biased and false link about Fox News which irrelevant to the topic. Thank you in advance.

Rick4769
join:2012-11-21
Buffalo, NY

Rick4769

According to this article, more cable companies were planning to dump Current.

»www.aim.org/don-irvine-b ··· urchase/

roc5955
Premium Member
Rosendale, NY

roc5955 to Happydude32

Premium Member

to Happydude32
So it's all about ratings, huh?

And how do stations get ratings, other than to be seen on more cable stations? Current may have had low ratings, but I believe that the move is more political, because they were bought by Al Jazeera.

I have nothing to prove Current's ratings. I just know that I watched it, and a lot of my friends watched it, and will miss it.

And, I would like to see a different take on the news. RT isn't enough, and MSNBC is just too mainstream. Don't even get me goin' about the Fox Propaganda Network.
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

quote:
So it's all about ratings, huh?
Yes, it is.
quote:
And how do stations get ratings, other than to be seen on more cable stations?
By showing content people actually want to watch to attract viewers. I guess people don't want to watch low budget extreme left wing programming.
quote:
I have nothing to prove Current's ratings. I just know that I watched it, and a lot of my friends watched it, and will miss it.
And I miss ZDTV. But it's gone and never coming back. Get over it! If Current had ratings like Fox News Channel, it would still be available. Judging by your tone, you seem to think a lot of people watched Current, when in fact no one really did.

There's really no point in continuing this. Current TV is gone and is never coming back. Time to move on.

roc5955
Premium Member
Rosendale, NY

roc5955

Premium Member

Funny you should mention ZDTV. I remember Tech TV. I liked that and they pulled it too.

I wonder why it is that any time they put on something that *I* like, it gets taken off, because it's "not popular."

I'll get over it, but as all things, it will take time. I still think it was a political reason, because if they really wanted to get rid of Current because nobody was watching it, you would think that they would replace it with, oh I don't know, perhaps another "popular" Fox Propaganda Channel. You can't have too much of the ever growing in popularity, Fourth Reich!
Happydude32
Premium Member

Happydude32

Premium Member

You know reading your posts are almost as funny as watching Current. I find them very humorous, after a some what crappy day at work, thanks for brightening my day! And it also makes me thankful I lean to the right. And Tech TV was never taken off. Comcast bought them out and merged it with G4. The Channel became G4Tech TV, then eventually back to G4 when all of the Tech TV programming was removed.

As much as I really do hope the removal of Current was politically motivated, it had to do with ratings and the fact it’s a lame inde channel no body watched with no other channels to use as a bargaining chip. Only reason why Fuse is on Time Warner is because of MSG and MSG Plus.