uniqs

ncherry
Premium Member
join:2003-07-13
Monroe Township, NJ

1 edit

ncherry

Premium Member

Re: [Cable Card] New Tivo (replacing existing Tivo with M-Card)

Thanks everyone, that went well!

I called the number on Saturday afternoon (they're available 7x24), the agent asked me for a bunch of information (from the screens listed on the links above). Then asked me to move the card from the old Tivo (still on) and put the card into the new Tivo (also on). Provide some additional information from the new box and then she started the process. The main part took only a few minutes but the rest of the channels took an hour (she warned me it would).

After I got off the phone with her I did try a few channels that I would normally get (HBO, for example) and it took me directly to the Cable Card Tivo page. Other channels such as CBS (Channel 2 and 802 in my area) worked immediately. I then came back an hour later and I could get to all the channels. I did have to run the channel select on the Tivo again as, with the M-Card, the Tivo has a different line up than without the M-Card. We're now reviewing the rest of the channels to see if anything has moved. Unfortunately for me, I don't watch much TV so I don't recall where the channels are and what we have (but my wife does).

[Edit] -
A little later my wife and I found that we were missing our premium channels. A quick call to Comcast fixed it. Now we have all the channels we pay for and a new Tivo with a few hours of space.

Mike Wolf
join:2009-05-24
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yeah the premium channels have copy protection enabled on them so sometimes when a cablecard is first installed and setup the copy protection authentication doesn't take the first time and you aren't able to access them. Usually a quick call or letting it sit for a while works. Glad everything is working now.
hybucket6
join:2001-10-10
Boston, MA

hybucket6 to ncherry

to ncherry
Let me tell you about MY horror story with Comcast, which USUALLY has done OK by me. I bought a new TiVO Premiere to replace a dying TiVOHD, and of course had to get a new cable card from Comcast. It has been a NIGHTMARE the past two days trying to get it paired properly. The first idiot at Cable Card Activation didn't speak English, which should have been my first clue, but after an hour, managed to get all the channels up except a couple, and all the pay channels. After three more hours, they said they'd send a tech. HE never arrived. They they scheduled two more appts that were no shows. Amazing that after several years of dealing with Cable Cards, they STILL have no idea what they're doing. Maybe I'll get it running by Thanksgiving.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I'm sorry about your less then stellar experience with Comcast. In my own personal experiences this is not normal and I'm saddened by the trouble you've had to go through.
hybucket6
Boston, MA

hybucket6

Less than stellar doesn't come close. 2 techs showed up tonight and, as expected, got the thing working in two minutes flat! They said they had access to a department that consumers cannot access, which is true, I'm sure, but is ridiculous. The only thing I"m not getting now is On Demand, which they said could take a few hours. I'll wait til tom'w...hopefully, it will generate and all will be OK. As I said, this is my first really unpleasant experience with Comcast. Hopefully, the last.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Well not sure what TiVo your using but you can't access OnDemand by channel 1 or 199. There's supposed to be an app you can download on the box to allow you to access it.

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry

Premium Member

Supposedly the new Premier can access the OnDemand channels. I've never used it so I can't say if it does or doesn't work.
hybucket6
Boston, MA

hybucket6 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
Thanks- yes, I was trying to access On Demand by going to Channel 1. The app downloaded and that works fine. It's a TiVO Premiere, BTW.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf to ncherry

to ncherry
News to me. I don't think its possible due to the fact that OnDemand requires a two way connection and the TiVo only supports one way, even though the cablecard itself does support two way. It's a hardware limitation on the TiVo.

telcodad
MVM
join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ

telcodad

MVM

It works in conjunction with a broadband internet connection. See: »www3.tivo.com/products/t ··· dex.html

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

Yeah that's right. That's because it uses the internet connection to make up for the fact that the TiVo can't do the two way communication like the RNG200N which has a cablecard, can do. Right?
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

Exactly.

ncherry
Premium Member
Monroe Township, NJ

ncherry to telcodad

Premium Member

to telcodad
Cool, thanks for clarifying that. I've learned something new.
Joe12345678
join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL

Joe12345678 to Mike Wolf

to Mike Wolf
now with a SDV tuner (comacst systems do not use SDV) can that be used for VOD with Tivo?? on a SDV cable system?

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

That's a good question. The switched digital tuner adapter is used due to the same technological limited reason, that the TiVo can't "send out" the signal that the SDV channel is still being watched when a remote button is pressed. However I don't think a SDV adapter would work for video on demand otherwise it would have been more popularly used and I'm sure there are technological reasons which I am not privy to.
GTFan
join:2004-12-03
Austell, GA

GTFan

SDV has nothing to do with VOD on systems that use TAs. You'd think it would be possible but the TAs are bad enough as it is just getting them to tune SDV channels 100% of the time. They've always been a sore point for Tivo users until the FCC got involved and forced the MSOs to upgrade them to support more than 2 tuners etc. I've seen plenty of reports that the Cisco ones still need regular reboots.

Mike Wolf
Tuckerton, NJ

Mike Wolf

I fully agree which is why Switched Digital has been the bane of my existence and why I absolutely HATE it. Also the fact that Comcast doesn't use it and other companies do is the main reason why I will now ONLY move to other areas serviced by Comcast, which is surprisingly difficult since not every service area has the same services or channel lineups or awesomeness as my current Toms River area has.