Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma

Refrigerator water connection - saddle valve alternative

Since we moved into our new house in November, my wife has been nagging me to connect a water line to our "extra" refrigerator. The house I bought came with all new kitchen appliances. We brought the refrigerator we had in our old house and put it in the laundry room so we'd have additional fridge/freezer space for when we stock up on things that are on sale, and a place to keep surplus beer, soda, etc.

I am not a big fan of the self-piercing saddle valves and refused to use one. They don't meet code in some areas, and for good reason.

So, I've been procrastinating while I figured out the "right" way to do it.

At Ace Hardware today while I was actually there picking up something else I found this gem:

»www.acehomecenters.net/products/···995.html

I just popped it in place on the cold-water shutoff valve for the laundry sink and connected the 1/4" line that's attached to the back of the refrigerator.

It took me all of 5 minutes, a pair of adjustable wrenches, and some pipe sealant to get this done.

Now, it's one less thing I can get nagged about.

This seemed to be worth sharing, because even on a DIY job it's better to do it right.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by John97:

Since we moved into our new house in November, my wife has been nagging me to connect a water line to our "extra" refrigerator. The house I bought came with all new kitchen appliances. We brought the refrigerator we had in our old house and put it in the laundry room so we'd have additional fridge/freezer space for when we stock up on things that are on sale, and a place to keep surplus beer, soda, etc.

I am not a big fan of the self-piercing saddle valves and refused to use one. They don't meet code in some areas, and for good reason.

So, I've been procrastinating while I figured out the "right" way to do it.

At Ace Hardware today while I was actually there picking up something else I found this gem:

»www.acehomecenters.net/products/···995.html

I just popped it in place on the cold-water shutoff valve for the laundry sink and connected the 1/4" line that's attached to the back of the refrigerator.

It took me all of 5 minutes, a pair of adjustable wrenches, and some pipe sealant to get this done.

Now, it's one less thing I can get nagged about.

This seemed to be worth sharing, because even on a DIY job it's better to do it right.

And you're saying a saddle valve that millions upon millions of us are using are not doing it right? I strongly disagree. You are entitled to your opinion about saddle valves.

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:4
reply to John97
Not sure what you mean by pop it in place. Did it replace the shut off valve? If not, how did you make room for it.

I did it the old fashion way. Cut the copper, put in a tee and added a shut off valve to the refrigerator.

shdesigns
Powered By Infinite Improbabilty Drive
Premium
join:2000-12-01
Stone Mountain, GA
reply to John97
That is nice as it goes after the valve and has the corresponding reverse-compression fitting,

WHat needed pipe dope? None of those fitting use dope or tape,

Lurch77
Premium
join:2001-11-22
Oconto, WI
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

And you're saying a saddle valve that millions upon millions of us are using are not doing it right? I strongly disagree. You are entitled to your opinion about saddle valves.

Saddles make good temporary connections. But that's just an opinion.

John97
Over The Hills And Far Away
Premium
join:2000-11-14
Spring Hill, FL
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to shdesigns
said by Jack_in_VA:

I was speaking for myself. Frankly, I don't particularly care what millions of other people are doing. I'm not a plumber, so I don't have to worry about whether something installed in someone else's home leaks or not, just my own - and that's why I wanted to do it this way.

Thanks for the reply, though. This was exactly why I made this post, to get someone all bent out of shape. It had nothing to do with the fact that I just wanted to pass on a tip, that at least in my situation, was actually a faster and easier way to get the job done without creating an additional potential failure point.

said by SparkChaser:

Not sure what you mean by pop it in place. Did it replace the shut off valve? If not, how did you make room for it.

I did it the old fashion way. Cut the copper, put in a tee and added a shut off valve to the refrigerator.

My utility sink has a stainless flex-line from the shutoff valve to the faucet. I installed this above the shutoff.

said by shdesigns:

That is nice as it goes after the valve and has the corresponding reverse-compression fitting,

WHat needed pipe dope? None of those fitting use dope or tape,

Yeah, I actually had a tube of dope sitting in my toolbox with my wrenches so I put it on the male "ends" of the fitting. Then once I started taking things apart I saw there was no dope or tape on anything so wiped the threads down. There was still a minimal amount on there, shouldn't do any harm.

And that is the best part. I can just turn off the valve if something goes awry and it shuts off the water to the faucet and the fridge.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5
I have to say I'm not a big fan of them either. I've done it both ways and they've both worked. If I had a choice to do it from scratch I'd probably go with the way shown here (and have in the past).
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

Bruschi
Premium
join:2001-04-16
Cape Cod
reply to John97
said by John97:

They don't meet code in some areas, and for good reason.

They are illegal to use here in MA.
--
Professional student pilot!

Zach1
Premium
join:2006-11-26
NW Minnesota
reply to John97
Good tip John97 See Profile. I used one to add a line for the coffee maker in the shop. It's been installed for nearly 8 years. Officially, Minnesota doesn't allow saddle valves although they are available and are used all the time. IMO, saddle valves and back-stabbed wiring devices have the same "quick and cheap" aroma.
--
Zach

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John97
said by John97:

My utility sink has a stainless flex-line from the

Got it, thanks. I was looking at it from my situation here. Nice find.

scooper

join:2000-07-11
Youngsville, NC
kudos:2
reply to John97
I've been using something like that for at least 5 years, on both hot and cold lines under the kitchen sink. I too am no fan of saddle valves.

Cold goes to faucet and fridge, hot goes to dishwasher and faucet.

But I agree with some of the others - these should not need anything like dope or tape - at the very most, I'd only use teflon tape , and then only if the compression fittings are not doing their job.

LazMan
Premium
join:2003-03-26
canada
reply to Bruschi
said by Bruschi:

said by John97:

They don't meet code in some areas, and for good reason.

They are illegal to use here in MA.

Ditto for Canada - peircing valves aren't code compliant here, either... Not to say they aren't used, with varying degrees of success; but they aren't approved.

OP - good find - I used something similar (only it was 3/8 all around) to install a dishwasher a couple year's ago... Worked well.

jrs8084
Premium
join:2002-03-02
Statesville, NC
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
reply to John97
I never really went looking for this part, but glad you posted.

I have only had about 5 saddle valves at places I lived, but my experience with them is that they are like short lived gate valves. They work fine if you never touch them. But if you ever operate them, . . .

Never had a disaster with one, but they made a mess when opening/closing.

cdru
Go Colts
Premium,MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN
kudos:7
said by jrs8084:

my experience with them is that they are like short lived gate valves. They work fine if you never touch them. But if you ever operate them, . . .

That was my experience with them as well. The line that went to our fridge used one installed by the previous owners. The line sprung a leak one day and I went to shut it off. It never fully shut off as well as it started to leak when I tried to turn it off. It ended up just getting replaced properly with a t, shut off valve, and fitting down to the nylon tubing.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to John97
said by John97:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I was speaking for myself. Frankly, I don't particularly care what millions of other people are doing. I'm not a plumber, so I don't have to worry about whether something installed in someone else's home leaks or not, just my own - and that's why I wanted to do it this way.

Thanks for the reply, though. This was exactly why I made this post, to get someone all bent out of shape. It had nothing to do with the fact that I just wanted to pass on a tip, that at least in my situation, was actually a faster and easier way to get the job done without creating an additional potential failure point.

If you had left it as a description of what you did instead of adding the little opinion quip it would have been a great post but to insinuate that my installation and millions of others are somehow wrong was completely UN-necessary.

I have plumbing experience and personal knowledge of installations lasting for decades so any negatives you have are just your personal opinion that is not supported with data. The one I have now was installed in 1990 and has been no problem.

IMO the reason they are not permitted in some areas is the same with electrical. Crafts have persuaded the locals/state to outlaw them so they will get more work. Nothing to do with if they really are a problem.

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

And you're saying a saddle valve that millions upon millions of us are using are not doing it right?

Correct. Doing it right would involve cutting into the line and installing a proper fitting. Many plumbing codes do not allow saddle valves. I can't imagine hiring a plumber and having a saddle valve installed.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by robbin:

said by Jack_in_VA:

And you're saying a saddle valve that millions upon millions of us are using are not doing it right?

Correct. Doing it right would involve cutting into the line and installing a proper fitting. Many plumbing codes do not allow saddle valves. I can't imagine hiring a plumber and having a saddle valve installed.

You opinion only Robbin. BTW obviously not shared by all. You really need to separate your opinions and personal preferences with real factual data and state as such when you post.

The fact is millions of saddle valves are in use with no problems.

I can't imagine calling an electrician to install a new breaker or receptacle.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
It is not my opinion that many plumbing codes do not allow saddle valves. It is fact.

[edit] Most people would call an electrician to install a new outlet in a new location. Same with running a new water line. This is no different.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
said by robbin:

It is not my opinion that many plumbing codes do not allow saddle valves. It is fact.

It is also fact that many local electrical codes do not allow the homeowner/renter to do any electrical work either. It is also a fact this is widely ignored by millions. An illegally installed saddle valve is no different than an illegally installed receptacle is it?

You're just arguing for the sake of it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to robbin
said by robbin:

Most people would call an electrician to install a new outlet in a new location. Same with running a new water line. This is no different.

You can determine from this forum that that statement is not factual. Many can and do run their own electrical.
Expand your moderator at work

Cho Baka
Premium,MVM
join:2000-11-23
there
kudos:2
reply to John97

Re: Refrigerator water connection - saddle valve alternative

Good work.
I also used one to install the line to my dishwasher.

Saddle valves are complete rubbish.
--
The talented hawk speaks French.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to Cho Baka

said by Cho Baka:

Good work.

Hooking up a dishwasher with a saddle valve? No wonder. You should have called a plumber for that. I installed a "T" and shutoff valve for mine.

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

You're just arguing for the sake of it.

Who's arguing for the sake of it? You made a public statement which I disagreed with and I posted my disagreement. Now it appears that you are arguing that millions violate code and that therefore it is OK to do so. I have no problem if you want to violate code, but I do have a problem if you recommend that others do so on this public forum.

In any case, glad the OP found a proper device to hook up their second refrigerator. Having a second fridge is nice, but having ice in it is even nicer!

robbin
Premium,MVM
Leander, TX
reply to Jack_in_VA
said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Cho Baka:

Good work.

Hooking up a dishwasher with a saddle valve? No wonder. You should have called a plumber for that. I installed a "T" and shutoff valve for mine.

Sounds like Cho Baka See Profile used an "add a T" to install the dishwasher. Just like the OP did for their fridge.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Cho Baka:

Good work.

Sounds like Cho Baka See Profile used an "add a T" to install the dishwasher. Just like the OP did for their fridge.

I never said the op was wrong. I said the op should not have dissed others who use saddle valves or anything else as it really is none of his business what others do. He posted what he did so he made it public.

BTW a dishwasher has a little different water requirement than a ice maker. A saddle valve would not be suitable for it.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
North, VA
reply to John97
Ok I'm done with this thread/subject. The two or three main resident Trolls are so boring and predictable it's almost like a script.

OP your install was very nice and should serve you very well.