Spring Hill, FL
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Bright House
·ooma
reply to shdesigns

Re: Refrigerator water connection - saddle valve alternative

said by Jack_in_VA:

And you're saying a saddle valve that millions upon millions of us are using are not doing it right? I strongly disagree. You are entitled to your opinion about saddle valves.

I was speaking for myself. Frankly, I don't particularly care what millions of other people are doing. I'm not a plumber, so I don't have to worry about whether something installed in someone else's home leaks or not, just my own - and that's why I wanted to do it this way.

Thanks for the reply, though. This was exactly why I made this post, to get someone all bent out of shape. It had nothing to do with the fact that I just wanted to pass on a tip, that at least in my situation, was actually a faster and easier way to get the job done without creating an additional potential failure point.

said by SparkChaser:

Not sure what you mean by pop it in place. Did it replace the shut off valve? If not, how did you make room for it.

I did it the old fashion way. Cut the copper, put in a tee and added a shut off valve to the refrigerator.

My utility sink has a stainless flex-line from the shutoff valve to the faucet. I installed this above the shutoff.

said by shdesigns:

That is nice as it goes after the valve and has the corresponding reverse-compression fitting,

WHat needed pipe dope? None of those fitting use dope or tape,

Yeah, I actually had a tube of dope sitting in my toolbox with my wrenches so I put it on the male "ends" of the fitting. Then once I started taking things apart I saw there was no dope or tape on anything so wiped the threads down. There was still a minimal amount on there, shouldn't do any harm.

And that is the best part. I can just turn off the valve if something goes awry and it shuts off the water to the faucet and the fridge.
--
So put me on a highway, and show me a sign.
And take it to the limit one more time...

Dennis
Premium,Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL
kudos:5

I have to say I'm not a big fan of them either. I've done it both ways and they've both worked. If I had a choice to do it from scratch I'd probably go with the way shown here (and have in the past).
--
My Blog. Because I desperately need the acknowledgement of others.

The Judd Family site!

SparkChaser
Premium
join:2000-06-06
Downingtown, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to John97

said by John97:

My utility sink has a stainless flex-line from the

Got it, thanks. I was looking at it from my situation here. Nice find.

Jack_in_VA
Premium
join:2007-11-26
North, VA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Millenicom
reply to John97

said by John97:

said by Jack_in_VA:

And you're saying a saddle valve that millions upon millions of us are using are not doing it right? I strongly disagree. You are entitled to your opinion about saddle valves.

I was speaking for myself. Frankly, I don't particularly care what millions of other people are doing. I'm not a plumber, so I don't have to worry about whether something installed in someone else's home leaks or not, just my own - and that's why I wanted to do it this way.

Thanks for the reply, though. This was exactly why I made this post, to get someone all bent out of shape. It had nothing to do with the fact that I just wanted to pass on a tip, that at least in my situation, was actually a faster and easier way to get the job done without creating an additional potential failure point.

If you had left it as a description of what you did instead of adding the little opinion quip it would have been a great post but to insinuate that my installation and millions of others are somehow wrong was completely UN-necessary.

I have plumbing experience and personal knowledge of installations lasting for decades so any negatives you have are just your personal opinion that is not supported with data. The one I have now was installed in 1990 and has been no problem.

IMO the reason they are not permitted in some areas is the same with electrical. Crafts have persuaded the locals/state to outlaw them so they will get more work. Nothing to do with if they really are a problem.

Ken
Premium,MVM
join:2003-06-16
Markle, IN

said by Jack_in_VA:

IMO the reason they are not permitted in some areas is the same with electrical. Crafts have persuaded the locals/state to outlaw them so they will get more work. Nothing to do with if they really are a problem.

I can answer your post with your own words...
You really need to separate your opinions and personal preferences with real factual data and state as such when you post.

In reality saddle valves are not allowed in some areas because they are not reliable long term. Best practice is to install a T and a real shutoff valve. I always recommend anyone with a saddle valve should cut it out and install the proper hookup.

BronsCon

join:2003-10-24
Walnut Creek, CA
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET

said by Ken:

said by Jack_in_VA:

I can answer your post with your own words...
You really need to separate your opinions and personal preferences with real factual data and state as such when you post.

In reality saddle valves are not allowed in some areas because they are not reliable long term. Best practice is to install a T and a real shutoff valve. I always recommend anyone with a saddle valve should cut it out and install the proper hookup.

This is what the seasoned plumber I used to work with (who took a retail job after retirement, for something to do) used to say, as well. He'd see someone with a saddle valve in hand and ask them if they had a pipe cutter and torch; if they did, he'd put the right parts in their hand, which were often cheaper than the saddle.

We're talking about a plumber with over 50 years of experience and no profit motive (he wasn't being paid to install the parts and the correct parts were cheaper; he was also retired and worked this shitty retail job for kicks), if he said it was the right way to do it, it was. Let's see if Jack can figure out why that might be the case.

If it comes down to it, I can just explain it, Physics 101 style, like my former coworker explained it to me. If there's still argument, we'll have found our problem.