Premium
join:2008-02-23
Hope, RI

No dialtone on house landline after electric service upgrade

Click for full size
ONT
Click for full size
Tag on ground call before moving
I had my electric service upgraded to 200 amp on Friday,power was off for about 5 hours while they did the switchover. The ground wire from the ONT was moved to the new installed ground wire.-we now have no dial tone on our FIOS digital voice land line on any of the phones in the house. I have a dial tone on test1 in the Motorola ONT 1000GT4 and can call out and receive calls if plugged into test1. Spent about 45 minutes with a real person from Verizon tech support and they reset the system on their end a few times. Also unplugged all the phones in the house and replugged them in and still no joy. 150/65 internet works fine and TV works fine. Only problem seems to be no dial tone on land line. Your thoughts?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

Since you're getting a dialtone on the test1 jack, your FIOS telephone service is fine.

The problem is with your inside wiring (IW). I'd trace out the wiring from that blue/white pair below the test1 jack to your inside phones. It probably got disconnected somewhere during the electrical work.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

floridafuzz
Premium
Hope, RI

Thank you More Fiber. It looks like the wiring from the blue/white pair goes outside to the punch down? block. Is that possible? My ONT is mounted in my basement on a panel with the rest of the Fios equipment. There is a plastic housing (punch down block?) mounted on the outside of my house next to the electric meter. Should I start there tomorrow?
As an aside, did you ever add the Motorola 1000gt4 to the wiki?

More Fiber
Premium,MVM
join:2005-09-26
West Chester, PA
kudos:31

said by floridafuzz:

It looks like the wiring from the blue/white pair goes outside to the punch down? block. Is that possible?

Yes, that's possible.

What is typical is for the installer to run cat5 from the ONT to the copper NID (which is usually outside). This is usually a convenient place to tie into the existing IW.

In any case, you need to find where that blue/white pair ties into your existing IW. Since the blue/white pair appears to go the punchdown block, check for dialtone at the punchdown block. If you have dialtone there, the problem is after that. If no dialtone at the punchdown, then the problem is between the ONT and there.

As for adding the 1000GT4 to the FAQ, I never found a data sheet for it on the Motorola website, so have no specs to add to the FAQ unfortunately.
--
There are 10 kinds of people in the world; those who understand binary and those who don't.

floridafuzz
Premium
Hope, RI

I will check for dial tone at the punch down block outside. It is located right next to the new meter housing they installed. the wire from the blue/white pair is outdoor cat-3 22awg 2 pair.
I will also try to reach out to get you a data sheet.

cramer
Premium
join:2007-04-10
Raleigh, NC
kudos:9
reply to More Fiber

ONT1000GT2

They don't list it on the ONT Chart anymore -- of course, those are all GPON. They're all a "black box" to the customer anyway.

Expand your moderator at work

lijacobs

join:2010-07-30
Lawrence, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS

1 edit

Re: No dialtone on house landline after electric service upgrade

What you fail to realize is that the vast majority of FiOS subscribers have no idea how their telephone service is delivered. Most of the followers of this discussion group are tech savvy and not typical. That being said, the VZ service rep should not have continued testing once he / she learned that the OP had service at the test jack in the ONT.

Teasip

join:2001-05-14
Plano, TX
reply to floridafuzz

Off topic here, FF, what was the cost for the new electrical panel? I'd like to do the same but the one quote I received was for over $3K.

floridafuzz
Premium
Hope, RI

Sounds like a fair price to me. I had 100 amp service and went up to 200 amp service. They had to replace the wiring on the outside of the house,a brand new panel,all new breakers and install 2 other panels for a home improvement project. My cost also exceeded that number for the electrical work. My electricians did a beautiful job, very neat, all wires run parallel to each other, etc. very OCD install.
My type of work. I am very happy.

floridafuzz
Premium
Hope, RI
reply to nortonbee

I am learning new things every day be reading this forum. The people on this forum have helped me out many times to solve problems that I have encountered along the way with new equipment. I am trying to become more tech savvy every day and greatly appreciate all the help and answers to my questions.

floridafuzz
Premium
Hope, RI
reply to More Fiber

Problem solved! The electrician was just up and found that the telephone line from the punchdown on the outside of the house that fed behind the new electric meter box and back into the house was crushed and 2 of the 4 wires were cut/broken. He redid all 4 of the wire connections and the service is fine in the whole house again. Thank you very much for your help and thanks to all for helping me learn about how the signal travels from the fiber on the street to and thru my house.