Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY

[RANT] Is it me or Optimum has a horrible Customer Service

Door-to-door salesman convinced me to get OOL, but my ride was so far quite bumpy. I will have more comprehensive review once all is complete.

When I signed up for Optimum triple package, I had it next to FIOS, so by swapping two cables, I can have either service.
Even had separated phone lines.

First problem occurred when days after install my internet and TV was going in and out. Problem was to powercycle equipment. Eventually called tech support and met the most idiotic staff ever. It is clear that software found on Optimum STB has pathetic quality control (I am software engineer by trade). Tech tried to convince me that rebooting STB is as normal as occasional rebooting of the cellphone. There is more rant to that but I leave it like that.
I had service man come over, changed some cables and so far so good. Then I had more problems with STB, called and told it is known issue.

But cherry of the cake is number porting. Was told it is 40 bucks and takes weeks to process. FINE. Was told it is January 4th. On third I am told that tech needs to come over. Really? Everything is connected as needed, nothing to swap. So I told them to just do what needs to be done and no need for visit. But of course, on 4th I get a call that guy will come over. I am at work....
I got with customer service to figure out why there is a need for technician? There is no physical change needed? They have no right to mess with Verizon box and phones are NOT connected.
So of course, the procedure wasn't done. WHY?
After wasting my time on chat, rep said that tech will arrive by 18th. And said that I can cancel Verizon meanwhile my verizon phone will work. Not really see why verizon will provide service if i will stop paying for it.

If not Kindle Fire HD and $40 cheaper bill, I would dumped them long time ago and never look in OOL direction again.

Did anybody had similar experience?
--
Semper Fi

HardwareGeek

join:2003-11-15
Brooklyn, NY
They never were great but my experience a month ago was horrible. They have gotten worst.
--
Email/MSN: Michael at hardwaregeeks.comAIM: MikeR35292

KeyLogger

join:2007-08-08

1 edit
reply to Tomek
how about suspend, cancel later.
charge by day, everyday counts.

Bob4
Account deleted

join:2012-07-22
New Jersey
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to Tomek
See »Re: Optimum Voice installation wiring/jack question
quote:
If you insist, you can do the work yourself. They'll still insist on setting up a housecall for the switchover, and you might have to fight off a technician armed with cutting pliers, but you can just hold your ground...

I think CV prefers to do as much damage as they legally can to your telco connection to discourage going back...

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
kudos:2
If you cancel the telephone with Verizon the port will not work. Do not cancel the number prior to the port or you will run into a mess of problems.

They will not let you do a port without an install.

Tomek
Premium
join:2002-01-30
Valley Stream, NY
said by frdrizzt:

If you cancel the telephone with Verizon the port will not work. Do not cancel the number prior to the port or you will run into a mess of problems.

They will not let you do a port without an install.

I will double check with Verizon, but the idea that I must wait 2 weeks for SIMPLE procedure is beyond amazing. I have to PAY for both services.
--
Semper Fi

frdrizzt

join:2008-05-03
Ronkonkoma, NY
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
Simple ports from VZ (or AT&T) should be able to be done next day if scheduled prior to noon (I don't know if that counts "Monday" as day 0 since it is next business day). I'd ask CV why the long delay; if manpower for the install or something else. Even without simple porting rules if for some reason you are not eligible, 5 business days is all that is required for Verizon.

There is a small chance this is no longer that case, as I am going by rules from last year, but I don't see them getting worse with porting times.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
reply to Tomek
The charges and delays are all on Cablevision's end. Are you paying $40 for the port PLUS $40 for the install? I hope not. I'd raise hell about paying $80 when the tech does absolutely nothing on site.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
said by Bob4:

The charges and delays are all on Cablevision's end. Are you paying $40 for the port PLUS $40 for the install? I hope not. I'd raise hell about paying $80 when the tech does absolutely nothing on site.

That is what they wanted to charge me. I had OV and a POTS line. Wanted to port the POTS number to OV; they insisted on a tech visit ($40) and a port fee ($40).

I just cancelled the POTS line and used the OV number that was assigned - $80 to keep a phone number was ridiculous.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.

Bob4
Account deleted

New Jersey
I would just play hardball and refuse to pay more than $40.

PX Eliezer7
Premium
join:2008-08-09
Hutt River
kudos:13
Reviews:
·callwithus
·voip.ms
reply to Tomek
The $40 porting fee is ridiculous, and is probably the highest in the country.

Independent VoIP companies often port for free (such as Voipo or PhonePower) or else they port for $25 (such as CallCentric or Voip.MS, they don't do it totally for free because you have no long-term obligation).

Optimum has [always] insisted that a tech be on-site to precisely arrange the timing of a number port.

If you got a new phone # from Optimum (instead of porting) then there is no on-site requirement.

And of course if you ported your current # to an independent VoIP company (even Vonage) no on-site tech is involved....

limegrass69
Here's my Posting tag

join:2008-05-28
reply to Tomek
There's no long-term obligation with OV.
You object to the $40 OV fee, but don't have an issue with the $25 porting fee charged by many of the VoIP providers?

The good news is that there are many choices. If you don't care to pay the $40 port fee, there's always the option to find a provider that is more to your liking in terms of pricing. Unfortunately, I have not heard anything reliable about Cablevision waiving the $40 port fee and related tech visit requirement.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
reply to PX Eliezer7
said by PX Eliezer7:

The $40 porting fee is ridiculous, and is probably the highest in the country.

I suspect it is high to discourage people who swap on a regular basis from porting in their numbers and then porting out raising their costs. If you look at the fee and are getting OV for the long term the fee is minor, if you are not looking to get OV for the long term it is major.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

Network Guy
Premium
join:2000-08-25
New York
Reviews:
·Future Nine Corp..
·T-Mobile US
·Optimum Online
reply to Tomek
My experience with number porting: cell phone takes up to four hours if number is transferring between two entirely separate carriers; instant if transferring between a carrier and a MVNO from the same carrier.

When I transferred from Verizon POTS to Phone Power, that took 24 hours.

Sounds like CV makes it unnecessarily painful and expensive to port a number in. Fortunately I've always had the common sense never to subscribe to OV.

TheWiseGuy
Dog And Butterfly
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-04
East Stroudsburg, PA
kudos:3
Reviews:
·Optimum Online
I have only done one port, about a year ago, from Verizon POTs to AT&T Cell, and it took more than a few days. Just my experience.
--
Warning, If you post nonsense and use misinformation and are here to argue based on those methods, you will be put on ignore.

ItsVZ

@optonline.net
Verizon tends to hold up the porting from Cablevision. The delay isn't by the company that is getting the new number, it's from the company that already has the number.

jaa
Premium
join:2000-06-13
Reviews:
·Vonage
·Optimum Online
reply to TheWiseGuy
said by TheWiseGuy:

If you look at the fee and are getting OV for the long term the fee is minor, if you are not looking to get OV for the long term it is major.

I looked at it as $80 was ridiculous - regardless of how long I would keep OV.
--
NOTHING justifies terrorism. We don't negotiate with terrorists. Those that support terrorists are terrorists.