Premium Member
join:2006-01-11
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1 to djrobx

Premium Member

to djrobx

Re: [iPhone] Next iPhone revision?

said by djrobx:

Right - My existing apps purchases are the biggest barrier for me going with an Android phone. I have a lot invested into my iTunes music organization as well. Losing support of iTunes gapless playback tags (which unfortunately are not the same as LAME gapless tags) would be quite disastrous for me.

Apps and content investments are a huge consideration here. Yes, if you've got a hundred bucks of apps, that won't stop you from jumping ship to another platform. But if larger investments in apps and/or content (movies, shows, etc) have been made, it's more difficult to make the case for abandoning ship with Apple (or Android).

I still have yet to make my decision- but you all have offered some great food for thought. Thanks!

Squirrelly
join:2000-10-24
Harrisburg, PA

Squirrelly to Alcohol

to Alcohol
said by Alcohol:

Doesn't make sense. Why wouldn't they discount the iphone 4 or 4s instead of launching a new phone. Iphone 4 can easily be manufactured for under $300. Look at nexus 4. It's better than iphone 5 and it costs $299.

this is the problem, it's better in your opinion, not everyone thinks this. To answer the OPs question, go to the store or play with a fiends and see what YOU like best. Both are great phones depends on what you want. With all the apps, most phones can do the same thing as the other.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I saw on the news earlier today that Apple cut its iPhone 5 materials orders by roughly 50%, implying weak sales of this version of the iPhone.

That appears to confirm the trend I'm seeing in this thread... namely that many folks are opting for the Androids of the smartphone crop over the iPhone in some pretty dramatic numbers. Appears that Samsung (with the S3 in particular) has won favor with the public.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I'm Android user and have been for a while. The iPhone may have started it all but its no longer leading the pack. Currently I have a Samsung galaxy 2 and I'm waiting for galaxy 4. A friend of mine has a nexus 4 and its the best phone I have ever tried. Another friend has an iPhone 5 and its just so plain looking. The screen is small and you can't customize it that much. His teenage kids wanted an iPhone so bad but they are now not really impressed. Apparently even kids think owning an iPhone is not cool anymore. Too bad he's locked in a contract but I do enjoy rubbing it in.

Apple has bet everything on one product and judging by the share price its not looking good

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

2 recommendations

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by Anonymous88:

...Another friend has an iPhone 5 and its just so plain looking. The screen is small and you can't customize it that much. His teenage kids wanted an iPhone so bad but they are now not really impressed. Apparently even kids think owning an iPhone is not cool anymore. Too bad he's locked in a contract but I do enjoy rubbing it in.

Apple has bet everything on one product and judging by the share price its not looking good

The thing is, and I've been saying this for a couple years now, is that iOS look & feel has gotten stale... Think about it, it barely changed since the original... they've made it better of course, but its still not customizable by the user, hell it even took time for Apple to allow a custom wallpaper behind the icons... The icons are the same plain stuff, no interactive lock screen, no active widgets or icons, etc etc....

There are so many Android devices that have different looks, skins, customizations beyond your wildest dreams... A friend of mine has a relatively mid range Motorola Razr V, and the stuff he has on it is pretty damn impressive... and he doesnt need to jailbreak or install illegal crap on the phone... most of what he's gotten on it he got free (legally).

not quite right
I'm not cool enough to be a Mac person
join:2001-06-23
Puyallup, WA

not quite right to XXXXXXXXXXX1

to XXXXXXXXXXX1
I understand the whole Android argument, they do have some exciting hardware and software features that I can appreciate, but I also see a format that has so many different developers, carriers, & manufactures just "doing their own thing" that the end result is a lot of shitty apps, shitty phones (Not every Android is a Galaxy S3) , and full of the same old shitty carrier bloatware that we've seen for years. When I see a iPhone I know for the most part it's a bad ass piece of hardware with about every app known to mankind (pre-screened for compatibility), and never contained bloatware of any kind since the day it was turned on.
I as well feel IOS is a little long in the tooth, but at the same time I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything either, and I can appreciate the comfort of familiarity & refinement.
XXXXXXXXXXX1
Premium Member
Beverly Hills, CA

XXXXXXXXXXX1

Premium Member

I'm still weighing my options... and now a new player has come into the mix... the Windows Phone. I just upgraded to Windows 8, and while it's still new to me and I haven't come to a verdict on it... I don't immediately hate it. It has potential and is a pretty radical change from what "normal computing" looks like... and it might even be good.

But that's not why I'm posting. While researching the Windows Phone, I ran across this: »www.theverge.com/2013/1/ ··· ion-july

If I understand this correctly, Google will stop using ActiveSync as of July 31, which will have a somewhat negative impact on users of non-Android phones. If ActiveSync is off the table, and one is a pretty imbedded Gmail, Google Contacts, and Google calendar user... what is one's fate as of July 31st if one has an iPhone or a Windows Phone? Are the replacement protocols that Google will use as good as ActiveSync? Or as a Google user, will I now be "heavily advised" to go Android to maintain as seamless as I can with Google's lineup of services?

Seems kinda crummy that Google is dropping support for ActiveSync for Windows Phone (and iPhone?!?) users.