spc
Search similar:

uniqs
bubbleboy
join:2013-01-05

4 edits

bubbleboy

Modem?

Does start provide firmware updates of self purchased DCM476?

I was looking at teksavvy forums and they had an issue with DCM 475 where firmware was upgraded but some teksavvy customers weren't provided free firmware updates passed the 1 year warranty mark) so had to buy new modems or upgrade firmw themselves

So i'm worried if i should just buy modem from start and if so will start keep supporting the modem after 1 year (only firmware not hardware issues)?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
join:2008-11-16
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The 476 has been on a while now an is very stable, but to answer your question we aren't able to provide firmware updates in self provisioned nor past the warranty period. Thanks.

PajaPatak
@hauser.ca

PajaPatak

Anon

if the modem is rented and in case new firmware comes out, can we request new modem ?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

If it's approved and there is a problem, yes. If just changing for the sake of changing then yes but you'd be responsible for shipping and change fees.

PajaPatak
@hauser.ca

PajaPatak

Anon

What do you mean by change fees? What kind of fees are those?

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

It'd be $20 for the shipping and modem swap.
bubbleboy
join:2013-01-05

bubbleboy

Thank you rocca for answering my question

Now to decide to rent or purchase from start ...that is the q lol

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone to rocca

Premium Member

to rocca
said by rocca:

The 476 has been on a while now an is very stable, but to answer your question we aren't able to provide firmware updates in self provisioned nor past the warranty period. Thanks.

I know that self-provisioned DPC3000s will fetch Cogeco's latest firmware right off the CMTS whenever it's available. Is there something different about the DCM475 that would prevent something similar from occurring? Just curious.

rocca
Start.ca
Premium Member
London, ON

rocca

Premium Member

The 475 isn't certified for Cogeco, and Red doesn't do remote updates for TPIA. As for the 476 on Cogeco, it might, it might not, but isn't something we can count on and therefore isn't recommended. Red is much more strict, ie they will not even look at a trouble-ticket if the modem reports a different firmware. Customers that want to have the best experience should stick with firmwares that are approved.

Gone
Premium Member
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

Gone

Premium Member

475! Right. Doh. For some reason I was blank and confusing the 475 with the 476.