Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

1 edit
reply to morisato

Re: New 2013 Price Comparisons Thread

said by morisato:

For all your ebox Calculations, you're forgetting they charge $20 dollars extra if u bring your own modem.

So its 69.95 for activation to BYOM.

Duly Noted.

Mike - EDITs ?

EDIT : Ack EDITs done.

join:2007-09-06
Etobicoke, ON
reply to morisato

said by morisato:

For all your ebox Calculations your forgetting they charge $20 dollars extra if u bring your own modem. So its 69.95 for activation to byom

What?! $20 extra if you bring your own modem? What is that about?

Etobicoke, ON
reply to inotherwords

said by inotherwords :

in other words, this thread is to show that Ebox's new pricing blows Teksavvy's outta the water.

But no cable in Ontario and I doubt they would have unlimited so their new pricing is useless to me.

bloodystupid

@teksavvy.com
reply to morisato

said by morisato:

For all your ebox Calculations your forgetting they charge $20 dollars extra if u bring your own modem. So its 69.95 for activation to byom

That is so bloody stupid. Seriously.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to prairiesky

said by prairiesky:

tek has stated in other threads that vdsl is losing proposition for them. one has to wonder what's different between the 2 companies.

How can they be losing money on a $53/m plan with a $95 activation? Bhell fees can't be that high.

I wonder if/when TSI will be matching 175/175 or even 50/50.

skyR

join:2007-01-14
Toronto, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL

said by JMJimmy:

said by prairiesky:

tek has stated in other threads that vdsl is losing proposition for them. one has to wonder what's different between the 2 companies.

How can they be losing money on a $53/m plan with a $95 activation? Bhell fees can't be that high.

You realize those are FTTH right...

Etobicoke, ON
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

The activation goes to Bell, they charge the ISPs $100.

No one has access to the fibre based services via Bell and very unlikely they will anytime soon if ever.

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

The REAL question crossing MY mind is : "Hmmmmm.... What is TSI doing with that extra monthly $20 ($17 net) of cash in per RGU ???"

Teksavvy pays a lot of lawyers bills @ $500+/hr./lawyer - there's the Voltage stuff, and other stuff legal that TSI does for themselves & the community.

JMJimmy

join:2008-07-23
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by JMJimmy:

The activation goes to Bell, they charge the ISPs $100.

No one has access to the fibre based services via Bell and very unlikely they will anytime soon if ever.

I'm sure it'll mean another CRTC fight but last mile is last mile - copper, cable, or fibre

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
START Today!
reply to MaynardKrebs

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Davesnothere:

The REAL question crossing MY mind is : "Hmmmmm.... What is TSI doing with that extra monthly $20 ($17 net) of cash in per RGU ???"

Teksavvy pays a lot of lawyers bills @ $500+/hr./lawyer - there's the Voltage stuff, and other stuff legal that TSI does for themselves & the community.

And a sizable ADVERTISING budget, it would seem.

Busses, Billboards, TV....

Etobicoke, ON
reply to JMJimmy

said by JMJimmy:

I'm sure it'll mean another CRTC fight but last mile is last mile - copper, cable, or fibre

It would be nice but IISPs are already dealing with issues on the cable side as it is that have not been resolved. The pricing for backhaul needs to be significantly reduced to make the higher speeds for either cable or DSL feasible. Bell also needs to deal with the lack of 10Gb backhaul for the IISPs. They should have had that a few years ago.

Etobicoke, ON
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by MaynardKrebs:

said by Davesnothere:

And a sizable ADVERTISING budget, it would seem.

Busses, Billboards, TV....

They can only gain so many users by word of mouth alone plus they don't want to be left behind by other IISPs with advertising.

If only businesses ran on lollipops and sunshine, but they don't...

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit

said by 34764170:

....If only businesses ran on 'lollipops and sunshine', but they don't...

Wasn't that the title of a SONG ?

»www.google.ca/#hl=en&newwindow=1···&bih=871

Nonetheless, TSI would seem to have evolved into using a very different business model than eBOX.

dillyhammer
START me up
Premium
join:2010-01-09
Scarborough, ON
kudos:10
Reviews:
·WIND Mobile
·Start Communicat..
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

said by morisato:

For all your ebox Calculations, you're forgetting they charge $20 dollars extra if u bring your own modem.

Duly Noted.

Mike - EDITs ?

Done. What a silly little charge that is. Makes me think twice, that's for sure.

Mike
--
Cogeco - The New UBB Devil -»[Burloak] Usage Based Billing Nightmare
Cogeco UBB, No Modem Required - »[Niagara] 40gb of "usage" while the modem is unplugged

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by morisato:

What?! $20 extra if you bring your own modem?

What is that about?

Actually they used to say that they discounted you $20 if you buy one of THEIR modems, but then would quote the lower of the two setup prices and have to explain it anyway, IIRC.

Still, explaining it THAT way is easier to understand, and less annoying sounding.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

1 edit
reply to 34764170

said by 34764170:

said by JMJimmy:

How can they [TSI] be losing money on a $53/m plan with a $95 activation? Bhell fees can't be that high....

The activation goes to Bell, they charge the ISPs $100....

Which means that any Indie ISP who charges less to activate would likely be EATING part of that fee.

= = = = = = =

WHICH MAKES ME WONDER....

eBOX currently not charging for DRY LOOP on FTTN DSL makes me wonder whether Bell is doing a 'Dry Loop Fee Waive' for new FTTN installs for ALL Indie ISPs, similar to how they waived the FTTN activation fee last March for new FTTN installs for Indie ISPs, and that eBOX is they only one (so far) to tell us and adjust their rates ?

Also I wonder how many DSL customers (Retail & Indie combined) that BH#$ELL lost during 2012 - though it's too early for their year-end report, isn't it ?

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

said by Davesnothere:

eBOX currently not charging for DRY LOOP on FTTN DSL makes me wonder whether Bell is doing a 'Dry Loop Fee Waive' for new FTTN installs for ALL Indie ISPs, similar to how they waived the FTTN activation fee last March for new FTTN installs for Indie ISPs, and that eBOX is they only one (so far) to tell us and adjust their rates ?

I'm hoping it's a change and that dry-loop fees will disappear. I'll wait a bit longer... but if spring comes and no one else changes, I'll have to make the switch to EBox.

I'm currently still on legacy 6Mbps, and can barely hit 4Mbps most of the time... switching would currently allow me to jump to 15 Mbps for the exact same price. That's almost a 4x speed increase! :\

MaynardKrebs
Heave Steve, for the good of the country
Premium
join:2009-06-17
kudos:4
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

Nonetheless, TSI would seem to have evolved into using a very different business model than eBOX.

It's probably just that eBox is 5 years behind TSI in their growth curve.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by MaynardKrebs:

It's probably just that eBox is 5 years behind TSI in their growth curve....

....which allows them to charge THAT MUCH LESS than TSI ?

I'm trying to sniff out a different reason for at least PART of the spread.

And that leads to yet ANOTHER tangent on the matter :

Does TSI still claim on their website to have the lowest prices ?

Etobicoke, ON

said by Davesnothere:

And that leads to yet ANOTHER tangent on the matter :

Does TSI still claim on their website to have the lowest prices ?

TSI hasn't had the lowest prices for quite awhile, but if I have to choose between TSI and Acanac it's a no brainer. I'd rather hack off my left nut over using Acanac.

morisato

join:2008-03-16
Oshawa, ON

Agreed Acanac is Like the Babybell of the Indys.. imagine all the potential hassles of a Indy with The FUn of bell.. ZOMG!
--
Every time Someone leaves Sympatico an Angel gets its wings.